Adding oil to relaxers

Brownie

For those who add oil to the relaxer before doing touch ups
(or if you bring the oil with you to the beauty salon),

--what kind of oil do you use
--how much oil do you add to the relaxer : lye or no-lye
--how are the results different with using oil vs. not using added oil.

Thanks in advance everybody

ms_kenesha

I used 1tbsp. of olive oil to about a cup of Motions Mild Relaxer (lye). I'm not totally sure about the results differing because I only did it once and my last touch-up 8/2/03 I did not add the oil. It's going to take a bit longer for me to be able to tell you what differences there are if any.

LuLu

Bump...I would like more info on this...is it supposed to keep moisture in during the relaxing process?? Any one else tried this???

G

I add olive oil to mine, but since I do it at home, I don't have to "bring" the olive oil to the hairdresser. If I went to the salon, I'd probably just forgo the oil

LuLu

Caramela, how much do you add?

Do you use lye or no lye?

What difference did you see?

Thanks girl

LuLu

one last bump...cause I'm relaxing this weekend and I wanna know

how much do you add?

Do you use lye or no lye?

What difference did you see?

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I added oil to my relaxer (Revlon Mild lye) the last time I relaxed. I did it to slow down the processing even more so than using a mild would do. It worked. Andre' Walker mentioned using oil in his book (Andre Talks Hair) when texturizing, so I decided to try it. I mixed it in a separate container and added enough olive oil to get the mixture to be the same consistency as baby vomit.
I really liked the effect, but next time I will add a little less oil because it was too much. It ran down the length of the strand to my scalp in some spots and I had some tingling, which is unusual for me. I have no idea what the proportions were. Maybe next time I will measure.

LuLu

Thanks, if does actually slow the process down I won't use it, I don't want to have to leave the relaxer in longer.

LondonDiva

I did this with Virgin OO last night and it did the opposite and speed up the relaxer process for me. I don't know if it was the oil, or the fact I whipped up the relaxer in a bowl in a real smooth creamy consisteny. By the time I applied it to the back (last part) I had it on for less than 5 minutes, before I felt the tingles. I washed it out because I'd rather have underprocessed hair than no hair. It worked well though.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
Perhaps it tingled because the oil made it too thin and the relaxer ran down to your scalp???? That's what happened to me.

Isis

This is interesting. I've never thought about adding oil to mine. Did you have any underprocessed areas LondonDiva?

LondonDiva

Curlycurly
good point, I didn't think of that as it goes. Your probably right. I didn't have to smooth at all, the smoothness of the relaxer literally did it all by itself. That'll teach me
Hi Isis
It's a possibility, but i'm not fretting. After I deep conditioned post relaxer i put my products in and put my hair back in its bun, so i won't tell until today, when i will wash and do my aphogee treatment. I'll let you know tomorrow. I use lye so it's no bother a few months down the line to go over a certain area and leave it for 2 mins. I've done it before and all was well. Because my new growth always comes in so thick it's hard to get it all done within a decent time frame so there's always a section that suffers (gets a lil underprocessed). Everytime I relax I start on a different quadrant so that one area doesn't become thinner over time.

G

I am so sorry I didn't respond, LULU!!! I couldn't get on line all weekend. I use about a 1/4 cup of oil to my LYE relaxer, I notice that my hair isn't as dry and I have more time to work with the relaxer before it starts to burn. HTH!

LuLu

I might try it then, I relaxer with lye for the first time and I was tingling too quickly! So I might try this next time to give me more time .