Adrienne or other Braid wearers who perm:

Nubianrose

do yall really think its necessary to wait 2 months after taking out your braids till you perm again? this is from the crown and glory method. thanks for the input.

Nubianrose

although i wear a sewn in weave (hair braided under)i think it really depends on your hair type. my hair is fine, so it needs extra TLC and i do protective hairstyling during the two month waiting period or pin-up my do which is curly by nature. overall, i think waiting the two months is a safe bet & the best thing to do. my sister who has thick 4a-b hair really doesn't have to wait that long after removing braids/weaves. she waits about a month.

ebony, how do you wash, condition and moisturize your own hair with a sewn in weave during the 8 weeks?

nubianrose, i'm even more cautious than the Crown & Glory method. i didn't perm my hair at all between braids during my first year of the challenge. because braids were new to me, i wasn't sure how my hair would react and didn't want to have any setbacks.

if my scalp ever clears up enough to get them again, i still don't think i'll perm in between.

adrienne

pandora i don't do it while wearing the weave. what i was saying was when i take out the weave, and take my braids out, i wait two months before perming and during that waiting period, i wear protective styles and keep my hair moisturized.

For me personally my hair is TUFF, not in texture but in what it can withstand. I washed my hair after taking it out of braids the very same weekend, when I had extensions in.

This past weekend gone I took out my braids without extensions on Saturday, washed my hair then relaxed the next day in LESS than 24 hours.. My hair is fine and it made no difference to my scalp.

Everyone's hair is different, it's just a question of knowing what will work for you. Someone even posted the other day that thier frinds relaxes EVERY week and has waist length hair. I'm not about to try that, but it goes to show how people can withstand certain haircare proceedures better than others.

Ok here's my dilemma- i underprocessed my hair right before i put my braids in..and in Dec around christmas, after i take my braids out im gonna relax and do the new growth first n then run the relaxer all the way thru my hair during the last few minutes-hopefully nothing will break. im gonna make sure to do a protein/moisturizing treatment b4 and after the relaxer. let me kno if i should be doin anything else. thanks for all the info everybody.

Nubianrose

I think that will be fine NR. Just remember to keep an eye on that clock and how long you leave the cream on for. I've had to do this myself before and it's come out fine. the ends never seem to relax as good as near the scalp, I guess that's down to body heat or something. Good Luck let us know how it goes.

answer that question.... for me, what will happen is i find that when i leave the relaxer in for a few minutes & wash out b4 tingling even begins, it never takes. now i wait until i get just the first little tingle & rinse immediately & it always takes that way. btw, u said u do a protein conditioner b4 & after u relax? can u elaborate? i wasn't aware that u could do it b4 a perm. do u perm while the conditioner is in?

Ebony, i meant to say that the week b4 i perm i'll be doing a protein treatment, and i'll also be doing one after washing the relaxer.
Nubian

Nubianrose, if you underprocessed with a no lye relaxer your hair still won't get straight when you run the new relaxer through. Just an FYI. Like LondonDiva, I also removed my braids and relaxed in the same weekend, though I didn't wash the hair before relaxing.

Londondiva

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Just remember to keep an eye on that clock and how long you leave the cream on for

[/ QUOTE ]

"Cream", girl the Jamaican in you is coming out!! LOL!! I'm Jamaican too!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

If u want to slow down the process time, u can put leave in cond on your hair b4 perming. It will help u to avoid overprocessing. A tip I learned here and it worked. I am currently transitioning now, but good luck on yr perming....

I’ve never made taking my braids out before/after a certain period of time a reason for getting a relaxer. I believe that when I really need one (usually after 3-4 months) and my hair has become unruly that then the time is right. However, if you don’t want to wait 2 months to relax your hair just know that if you relax and go right back to wearing braids you are placing a lot of tension your hair & scalp. Your hair is really sensitive after a relaxer and getting it pulled back again only makes matters worse. However…everyone’s hair is different and your hair may be able to take it…

I would wait until it's time to get a touch up because your roots are going to be nice and strong and you will avoid breakage that way.

Back