Affirm - Lye or No-Lye and other questions

cary

Hello there --

I've been thinking of switching to Affirm relaxer and hope one or more of you can provide some insight on such a switch. First, a little background. My stylist currently uses Optimum relaxer in my hair. I only know this b/c I've only recently started taking a serious interest in my hair and paying attention to what she is doing with it. Anyway, I know that in the past she has used other relaxers in my hair. I never used to pay close attention, but remember her using Revlon, Bantu and maybe Motions. I'm not sure if they were lye or no-lye, but assume both were used. I don't even know if the Optimum she uses is lye or no-lye, but I've always assumed the latter. Now that I'm paying attention to my hair care, when she brought out a different (lye) relaxer when I last got a touch-up, I asked her what she was doing. She said she forgot which one I had and that it didn't make a difference b/c they are all the same!!!
I reminded her that it was Optimum and requested that she use it. She did. But this experience has got me to thinking of bringing in my own relaxer and having her use it each time I get a touch-up. After some research, I'm leaning toward Affirm.

I'm trying to decide whether to go with the regular Affirm or the new Affirm Fiberguard relaxer, whether to use the lye or no-lye version, mild or regular.

I've noticed that my hair has gotten straighter and straighter throughout the years and with this it has lost some of its thickness.
I now know that the reason is because my stylist keeps the relaxer in until it's bone straight, and she always overlaps; thus, there's been some overprocessing going on!!
My hair doesn't look damaged or dry, but I have had serious shedding in the past. Now, the shedding appears to be in a normal amount, but I have noticed short broken hairs on occasion.

Given this history, is there one or the other (regular Affirm or Fiberguard, lye or no-lye) that you'd all recommend?

Also, does anyone know the pH level of the Affirm relaxers? I know that Consumer Reports conducted a study a few years ago, which revealed that some no-lye relaxers have as high a pH as some lye ones.
I'd like a lower pH, but one that does get my hair straight (but not bone straight, which I think has more to do w/the amount of time the relaxer is left in the hair, no?).

Thanks in advance for help on this.

cary

Me again . . .

I'm going to answer my own post here.

I've decided to go with Affirm Fiberguard - the mild, lye formula. I'll be ordering the whole package from Sheldeez and taking it to my salon for my stylist to use on my next touch-up (in January).

For those of you who have ordered online from Sheldeez, were you able to do so w/o a license? Instructions on the website state that you must fax in your license to be able to order Affirm products. Please let me know your experience with placing orders from that site.

Thanks!

AJamericanDiva

OK... that was quick!!! I use Affirm regular with lye. I'm a 4a and my hair has responded well. Tell your hairdresser to chill out with that overprocessing! How often do you go? I go every 14-16 weeks.

PrincessM

Is the affirm fiberguard on Sheldeez LYE? Also, does it come with the other relaxer components in the kit (neutralizer etc).

cary

Sheldeez sells both lye and no-lye formulas of the Fiberguard relaxer. The no-lye is sold in kits, which I assume contain the neutralizing shampoo and other "stuff." It appears that one would have to purchase everything individually for the lye formula. That relaxer comes in 4 and 8 lb tubs. The neutralizing shampoo and conditioners are sold separtately. But I'm just assuming all of the above based on what appears on the website. If anyone has ordered from Sheldeez, please feel free to chime in.

cary

The "Fiberguard Sensitive Scalp Relaxer" is the no-lye formula, and the "Fiberguard Conditioning Creme Relaxer" is the lye version. Avlon's website describes the sensitive scalp relaxer as the one containing guanidine hydroxide, of which no-lye relaxers are constituted.

http://www.avlon.com/science/fibre.html