Affirm Relaxer

Faith

Did any previous Affirm (mild) relaxer users notice that after awhile their hair felt drier with Affirm? I don't know..I relaxed 2 weeks ago and my hair doesn't feel as soft as the 2x I used Mizani. Yes, Mizani was harsher but that was the regular, if anything I'll use the Mizani mild. Overall, my hair had been feeling softer UNTIL the relaxer so I can only blame the relaxer I guess. Hm! I guess all I can do is baby it until my next relaxer in 13 weeks. <I wish that site sold DE in mild also>.

MizaniMami

Affirm isn't all of that to me either. My twin sister (we have the almost the same hair) hair LOVE Affirm and doesn't care for Mizani. While mines LOVE Mizani and doesn't care for affirm.

Did you pre-treat your hair before you relaxed?

Faith

senimoni said:
No I haven't found that at all. I love Affirm. Did you use all the steps??

Yep! All except the protecto which tangles my hair. I used vaseline then relaxer then 5 in 1 for 5 minutes then neutralizer then I used ORS RP. I guess I could have used humecto but I don't think that would have made a difference.

Faith

MizaniMami said:
Affirm isn't all of that to me either. My twin sister (we have the almost the same hair) hair LOVE Affirm and doesn't care for Mizani. While mines LOVE Mizani and doesn't care for affirm.

Did you pre-treat your hair before you relaxed?

Pre-treat in which way? The week before I did a deep conditioner.

senimoni

Not sure then.....my hair was hard after my last relaxer (non affirm) so I used the ORS replenishing pack and it turned out much better. But more importantly, where are the pics :)

MizaniMami

Sometimes I like to add some conditioner to my ends to help with overlapping just in case some relaxer get on them. Ialso helps with the rinsing, because sometimes when you rinse the relaxer flows down to the ends of the hair (which can make it dry too). Makes my hair nice and soft after a relaxer too :p

I used Affirm (regular) the other day and my hair felt/feels nice and soft. :) I used Protecto on all of my hair before as well as conditioner on my previously relaxed hair prior to relaxing the new growth.

Faith

MizaniMami said:
Sometimes I like to add some conditioner to my ends to help with overlapping just in case some relaxer get on them. Ialso helps with the rinsing, because sometimes when you rinse the relaxer flows down to the ends of the hair (which can make it dry too). Makes my hair nice and soft after a relaxer too :p
I added olive oil to the relaxer does that count :lol:

I'm wondering if that "dry" feeling could be because I texturized with it? Maybe it's just the makeup of my hair when it's NOT fully relaxed...hm.

I guess I will either stick with it (since I KNOW exactly how long to keep it in for to get the look I want) and just keep my hair extra moisturized or try Mizani mild (which would mean getting to "know" it).

bluediamond0829

yes it did now i have a big tub of affirm mild under my sink i dont know because when i relaxed with it....i would do everything i mean i think thats when my pjism really kicked in because i was trying to find products to stop my hair from being dry...because when i would do it in the morning it would be fine but as soon as i left out and went to work or to the mall...my hair looked like it never had a relaxer in it..i used the protecto...i never had the problem with a nolye relaxer...i used it on my sisters hair and her hair was good with it...

NewYorkgyrl

YES YES YES!

This happened to me!! I got my hair professionally done too. And I used LYE!!!

That was my first time trying the relaxer and let me tell you first impression was horrible. My hair has NEVER EVER BEEN THE SAME!

I even posted a complaint a while back. Some of the ladies responded stating the same thing about deep conditioning. THIS DID NOT WORK. I hope it workd for you. I know I did a deep conditioning right after the relaxer and every week after. right now I am almost 13 weeks post and I may not be able to relax until end of April.

The worst effect was experienced when I try to air dry. My hair never dries hard, not until I tried the Affrim. And yes I only put the relaxer on the roots but for some readon my whole hair strand had a bad effect.

I feel you girl. I will never try this relaxer again. Oh and I know my stylist applied it properly she has even been raved about on this forum.

Faith

NewYorkgyrl said:
YES YES YES!

This happened to me!! I got my hair professionally done too. And I used LYE!!!

That was my first time trying the relaxer and let me tell you first impression was horrible. My hair has NEVER EVER BEEN THE SAME!

I even posted a complaint a while back. Some of the ladies responded stating the same thing about deep conditioning. THIS DID NOT WORK. I hope it workd for you. I know I did a deep conditioning right after the relaxer and every week after. right now I am almost 13 weeks post and I may not be able to relax until end of April.

The worst effect was experienced when I try to air dry. My hair never dries hard, not until I tried the Affrim. And yes I only put the relaxer on the roots but for some readon my whole hair strand had a bad effect.

I feel you girl. I will never try this relaxer again. Oh and I know my stylist applied it properly she has even been raved about on this forum.

That sucks :( What are you going to be using now? I'm thinking Mizani mild.

LiLi

Everyone's hair is different but remember to check the Product code on the relaxer. If it starts with a "3" then it has expired. Also, just because a person is a stylist doesn't mean that they take note regarding the product being expired (some probably don't even know). Again, everyone's hair is different but if you hair reacted positively to the product before, then I would say it may have been old.

NewYorkgyrl

Faith said:
That sucks :( What are you going to be using now? I'm thinking Mizani mild.

I was thinking about going back to my beloved Motions (the salon herbals kind). i liked how my hair looked after a relaxer but I felt like over time my hair was gonna thin out (and I was using mild)

i heard Mizani burns the scalp. If so then I don't think I should use that, Motions mild kinda burned and I would make sure that my scalp was based well.

I honestly think that I am going to try Phyto. Only because it is a milder perm and more natural. I also read in reviews that your hair keeps it's body which would be really nice. If I don't like that relaxer I'm just gonna transition to natural.

atlien

Please STOP using it immediately. If it made your hair dry please don't use it again. Affirm relaxer did the same to my hair. It became dry and started breaking.... I could not stop the breakage so I had to cut it all off. If you experienced the dryness on the first application let that be your last.