Affirm V Fiberguard V Revlon Realistic

RUBY

Okay I did ur help to decide which relaxer to use at my next touch up. The choices are:

Affirm original (regular strength, lye)
Affirm Fiberguard (regular strength, lye)
Revlon Realistic (regular strength, lye)

Now I will be doing it myself, I'm 4b hair type. So please give any pieces of advice on these brands e.g which one is better especially from those who have used one or more of the above. I am especially keen to hear any differences betweem the Affirm original and Fiberguard.
Thanks in advance

Mocha1111

I am not sure of the difference. I would like to know myself, but I currently use Affirm Conditioning relaxer, regular, and I love it. I use it with the 5-1 reconstructor and the normalyzing shampoo. I do it myself and I believe it is the best perm I've every used. I will be sticking with it.

beana3

i've used the affirm and the revlon. IMO revlon is incredibly strong. I have 4a hair and revlon realistic mild straightens the heck outta my hair!!!!

Affirm as i've been told, is gentler on the hair. I used both mild and regular strengths, and for my 4a hair the regular is a must. the mild is not strong enough and left my hair horribly underprocessed for months.

From what i've read/heard about fiberguard, its very mild and a lot of type 4's dont have good results with it. but if your hair is color treated this may be a good option for you since its so gentle.
HTH

RUBY

Thanks Mocha1111 and beana3. Do either of you use the protecto before applying the relaxer and is the protecto which comes in a little bottle attched to the big tub enougth to last when using the big 4lb tub?

Mocha1111

Yes, I use the protecto. I've only applied the relaxer twice. So far it looks like it will last. I believe it says use two capfuls.

jainygirl

[ QUOTE ]
beana3 said:
i've used the affirm and the revlon. IMO revlon is incredibly strong. I have 4a hair and revlon realistic mild straightens the heck outta my hair!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree...the funny thing is the Revlon Mild(lye) was VERY strong the one time i used it (i think they must've mixed up in the packing process or something
) i switched back to the Revlon Regular (lye) and things are fine
Maybe they make it stronger because they expect that anyone using Mild will only have it on for a short amount of time?? i'm not sure but i burned with it and i almost never get any kind of burn (based w/ vaseline or not i just dont burn) Anyway I'm 4a/b and i have been using Revlon Realistic Regular (lye) for about 5 years and am very happy with the results
--jainygirl

PrincessM

[ QUOTE ]
beana3 said:

Affirm as i've been told, is gentler on the hair. I used both mild and regular strengths, and for my 4a hair the regular is a must. the mild is not strong enough and left my hair horribly underprocessed for months.

From what i've read/heard about fiberguard, its very mild and a lot of type 4's dont have good results with it. but if your hair is color treated this may be a good option for you since its so gentle.
HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

BEANA,
how straight did it get your hair? Do you have fine hair? I agree about the fiberguard mild. How's the regular?

1ariel

I did not know that you can buy any Affirm relaxers without getting their formal training. I tried to find it so i could buy it onlne for myself but could not. Where did you get yours and how can I buy it?

Thanks....

[ QUOTE ]
RUBY said:
Okay I did ur help to decide which relaxer to use at my next touch up. The choices are:

Affirm original (regular strength, lye)
Affirm Fiberguard (regular strength, lye)
Revlon Realistic (regular strength, lye)

Now I will be doing it myself, I'm 4b hair type. So please give any pieces of advice on these brands e.g which one is better especially from those who have used one or more of the above. I am especially keen to hear any differences betweem the Affirm original and Fiberguard.
Thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

sereia

hey jainygirl,
which kind of revlon realistic do you use? The one in the tub or the extra conditioning (I think it comes in a box)? I read a consumer report saying that one of these is damaging... BTW I wondered why you can leave on a super strength relaxer longer on normal hair than a regular

hondahoney007

Mocha, do you purchase the Affrim relaxer online or from a beauty supply shop? I use the Affirm sensative scalp relaxer when I go to the dominican salon. I wanted to start taking the relaxer to the salon(they deduct $5.00 if you bring your own relaxer). TIA

jainygirl

[ QUOTE ]
sereia said:
hey jainygirl,
which kind of revlon realistic do you use? The one in the tub or the extra conditioning (I think it comes in a box)? I read a consumer report saying that one of these is damaging... BTW I wondered why you can leave on a super strength relaxer longer on normal hair than a regular

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey
i use the Professional in the tub
i'm not sure about the "super" and time left on but i am starting to wonder if they are tweeking these formulas based on how long they think we will keep them in our hair??? because the Regular (lye) starts to tingle just at the time i'm about to wash it out (15 minutes max)

beana3

PrincessM: I would say i have medium textured hair. In some areas its very fine (but i dont relax those parts of my hair at all).

My hair was relaxed almost bone straight.

1ariel

Ruby Thanks, I went to the site but it seems that you have to have a license to order the professional products, and I don't have one. But there are some other great products that I will still be interested in ordering.

Has anyone else out there found a way to order Affirm and Mizani relaxers without showing a license?

GodMadeMePretty

ariel, you don't have to have a license to order the affirm products. You do have to have a license to order some of the items on there. I don't have a license and I just ordered the fiberguard on 1/26. I haven't used it yet though. I'm still contemplating whether I'm going to transition.

1ariel

GodMadeMePretty and Ruby that you.....

This is what I have come up with to order, found on: http://www.sheldeez.com/cgi-bin/webcart/webcart-frames.cgi?CONFIG=mountain

Affirm Cond. Creme Relaxer 4 lb. $42.00 $ 42.00
Affirm Normalizing Shampoo 32 oz. $19.00 $ 19.00
Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor 16 oz. $20.00 $ 20.00
Affirm Gentle Assurance 12 oz. $11.00 $ 11.00

Do any of you ladies feel that I have covered all or the products associated with properly touching-up my own hair?

Thank you for any comments.....

Mocha1111

I have all of that except for the Gentle Assurance. It comes with something called Protecto. You put it on your hair before relaxing...so you may not need the Gentle Assurance unless you need to base your scalp.

Even when the relaxer is burning, it does not cause any damage to my scalp.

1ariel

Mocha1111, Thanks.... I will go a head and buy the Gentle Assurance because I will surly want to base my daughters scalp because she has eczema, plus my hair stylist uses on us.

Now those of you that have used the tub, how many applications (or touch ups) did you get out of the 4lb or even the 8lb? I would like to get at least 2 applications each for my daughter and myself from either the 4 or the 8lb. But I don't what to have the unused portion sitting up for more that 8 - 12 weeks. But then if the shelf life is a year or more then I guess it will not matter.

GodMadeMePretty

I believe the shelf life is at least a year opened. And if you use about 4-8 ounces of product per perm, that should give you a pretty good idea of how long it will last. But even if it doesn't last more than 2 applications each, you've only spent $42 which is a heck of a lot less than $55 (or more) x 4 that you would spend at the salon.

1ariel

Thanks.... GodMadeMePretty. You were helpful. And your daughter is just the prettiest little thing.

L.Mo.

I agree that even Revlon mild seemed really strong for my hair. My 4a/b hair is very fine, and it made it very straight. My old stylist used Affirm Fiberguard regular and it also made my hair very straight, but didn't seem to damage it...

I just ordered Affirm mild strength -- I hope that I don't find it TOO mild like some of you felt...

Ruby, GMMP -- anyone else... How long did it take for your Affirm to arrive from Sheldeez? I ordered 2 weeks ago and I'm getting anxious!

Foxycus02

I do everything on my hair myself, but Im sooo scared to do my own touch ups. How do u see the back?
anyway does anyone purchase the lye version of affirm and take it to their salon. Where do they purchase it. I dont wanna purchase a 4lb container in case I dont like it.

RUBY

I won't be ordering my affirm online as I know of a shop where I can get it no hasssle.
L-MO do you think the Fiberguard regular would work on medium thick 4b hair?

Mocha1111

L.Mo, Sheldeez has an 800# that you can call to inquire about your purchase. I had some drama with mine, but I don't know of any place else to purchase Affirm.

amy1234

I've recently switched from texturizing with revlon realistic mild to affirm (original -regular) and the whole experience was great! The affirm did not straighten my hair completely (which I like) and I was amazed by the amount of slip that my hair had after using the 5 in 1 and normalizing shampoo. I should change my user name to stubborn girl because I always take too long to realize how great some of the "rave" products are.
-I was also a bit hesitant to try the affirm in mild because I've read that many users experience underprocessing and I did not want to have to go over the underprocessed parts over again .

meka

[ QUOTE ]
1ariel said:
Mocha1111, Thanks.... I will go a head and buy the Gentle Assurance because I will surly want to base my daughters scalp because she has eczema, plus my hair stylist uses on us.

Now those of you that have used the tub, how many applications (or touch ups) did you get out of the 4lb or even the 8lb? I would like to get at least 2 applications each for my daughter and myself from either the 4 or the 8lb. But I don't what to have the unused portion sitting up for more that 8 - 12 weeks. But then if the shelf life is a year or more then I guess it will not matter.

[/ QUOTE ]It was a thread about the shelf life of relaxers and someone e-mailed Avlon and they said that the shelf life for relaxers in 3 years. Hope this helps

Dolapo

I used revlon lye (mild) and my hair did not relax at all. What do you think happened? Going to try motions next

amy1234

[ QUOTE ]
Dolapo said:
I used revlon lye (mild) and my hair did not relax at all. What do you think happened? Going to try motions next

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what might have happened but it did happen to me too once. I also did a strand test with the motions herbal relaxer but it dried my hair out and zapped out all of the moisture out of my hair. I'm not sure what they put in the motions but I could definantley tell a difference and that was caused from the dryness that it caused.

The affirm on the other hand was the complete opposite...the experience was more like a deep conditioning spa for my hair but I was texturizing it at the same time /images/graemlins/spinning.gif in other words the affirm is a great investment for your hair , hth