After a whole year w/o a relaxer...

bee

I think I'm going to relax my hair tonight. I know that's a long time w/o one; I'm a little skeptical but since I've been on this board, I've found better ways of taking care of relaxed hair. I almost feel like a traitor but I take comfort in the fact that I can grow my natural hair anytime I want to.

For those of you who are natural, I commend your journey.

For those of you who have a relaxer, what can I expect after a year w/o a relaxer?

Congratulations on your decision! I think you should feel comfortable with relaxing since you now know all this great information from the board. I do feel your apprenhensiveness with relaxing after a year though. I'm no expert but after a year I would probably want to go to a professional for my first relaxer. Not something I'd want to tackle after that long by myself. Do you still have relaxed ends? If you do then you have to worry about not overlapping. If I were you, I'd play it super safe and go to a stylist, for a consultation to tell them about your situation so they can evaluate your hair and determine which relaxer to use. Were you planning on using Lye or NO Lye? This is a big step and you want to make sure you making it in the right direction. Good luck!! I look forward to pictures.

Do you have any relaxed ends? And all of JMD's questions too!
laugh.gif

I feel you bee. I stopped relaxing my hair July of last year but I had planned to relax again starting this coming July. At this point, I'm not sure if I will because I do like having my natural hair while in braids. However, when I wash it now, it takes forever to be gentle with it and get it detangled and rebraided. So, I am tossed on whether or not I want to relax. If you relax, please let me know any regrets or positive affects of your decisions. I would love to know so that I can make an informed decision when July rolls around. Thanks in advance
smile.gif

I remember when I was pregnant with my daughter and my perm didn't take. (Until I saw the thread yesterday, I swore that woman was lying and just didn't do a good job even though others also said their perms didn't take while pregnant). After I had the baby, I had my mother apply a PCJ no-lye to my hair. It was a little underprocessed because I only had one kit. Stupid me!!!!!

Anyway, my good friend from high school is a stylist and I trust her with my hair wholeheartedly told my mother that I should have done the perm as a virgin relaxer. Meaning - 2 applications. The first application is not aimed at getting at the roots at all. You're getting the hair closest to the already permed edges. That way, if it needs to stay on a little longer on the hair, you don't have to worry about your scalp burning. Then after 3-4 weeks, do the roots like a normal retouch.

So, if you have the average 6 inches of growth in this year, then you can rest assured that you will be able to relax 4-5 inches without worrying about your scalp.

HTH.

i did the same thing in january. i didnt want bone straight hair, so i just let it stay in to process and made sure all my new growth was done and left the ends. i think i rinsed after like 5 or 6 minutes.

To answer you ? JMD, I do have relaxed ends. My sister (if I decide to go thru w/it), will be applying a darl & lovely beautiful beginnings--regular, to my hair. She does a better job than most beauticians I've been to.

I'll remember to tell her not to perm the roots, but the hair closest to the remaining permed ends.

Well, my sister fell asleep and didn't relax my hair. So, I'm content for another 2weeks or until I have another frustrating time w/my hair.

Back