Alcohol "Good" for the hair????

Candy1978

I was told that there are certain types of alcohol that is good for the hair. As a rule of thumb i don't use any products where alcohol appears within the first 3-4 ingrdients. has anyone else heard this, and what is your take on using alcoholic products on the hair???

Don't shop Asian BSS. Visit http://www.youtube.com/watch? to see Aron Ranen's Black Hair documentery to see the monopoly being built to shut Black business owners out of the MULTI BILLION $$$$ Black Hair Care Industry. This is an important issue that will soon be out of our control if we keep shopping at their stores!!! They are getting rich of our our hair/$$$ and they don't give a darn about our communities, or issues, get educated then tell someone!!! Visit http://www.BOBSA.org to get info on how you can help

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Cetyl and cetearyl (sp) alcohol are "alcohols" that are actually emulsifiers and give the product it's consistency. These two are most often found in conditioners and moisturizers.

The bad alcohols to look out for are alcohol denat or SD alcohol. They usually have a drying effect and are found in many spritz and hairspray products.

janiebaby

I don't know about the alcohol. But to address the Asian BSS issue. I have never seen a black owned BSS although I've seen BSS that employ black people. I've even seen Eastern European BSS but never black owned. I'm sure there are some out there.

Sistaslick

Exactly what bphly said. These are fatty alcohols.
I think you may be referring to the bad ones in finishing products like gels, spritzs, and mousses. (SD-40, etc.)Those can be drying because their job is to help the hair dry faster or mold. But there are fatty alcohols that are basically conditioning emollients and these are great for the hair. These are ones like stearyl, cetyl, cetearyl alcohol, etc found in shampoos, conditioners, moisturizers and leave-ins.

Fatty alcohols are aliphatic alcohols derived from natural fats and oils. They are the counterparts of fatty acids and fatty aldehydes. They usually have even number of carbon atoms.
The smaller molecules are used in cosmetics and food, and as industrial solvents. Some of the larger molecules are important as biofuels.
Due to their amphipathic nature, fatty alcohols behave as nonionic surfactants. They find use as emulsifiers, emollients and thickeners in cosmetics and food industry.
Fatty alcohols are a common component of waxes, mostly as esters with fatty acids but also as alcohols themselves.

here's an article that talks about fatty alcohols

http://www.alcoholfree.co.uk/article_info.php?articles_id=11

info taken from this thread

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=53790&highlight=humecto+ingredients

DENATURED "BAD" ALCOHOLS:
Benzyl Alcohol

Isopropyl Alcohol
Ethyl Alcohol
SD 40 Alcohol
SD Alcohol 40B

FATTY/EMOLLIENT "GOOD" ALCOHOLS:
Behenyl Alcohol
Ceteareth-5
Cetearyl Alcohol
Ceteth-2
Cetyl Alcohol
Glycerin
Lareth-2/3
Sodium Cetyl Sulfate
Sodium Laureth Sulfate
Seteareth 21
Stearyl Alcohol

wheezy807

Sistaslick said:
I think you may be referring to the bad ones in finishing products like gels, spritzs, and mousses. (SD-40, etc.)Those can be drying because their job is to help the hair dry faster or mold. But there are fatty alcohols that are basically conditioning emollients and these are great for the hair. These are ones like stearyl, cetyl, cetearyl alcohol, etc found in shampoos, conditioners, moisturizers and leave-ins.

Wow, i never knew that. I was under the perception that all alcohols were bad for the hair and had the same drying out effect.

@ destiny616
Luv the pic in your siggy. You know your too much for that one!:lachen:

rdm

Wow!!! Someone is up on their organic chemistry!!!

I do the sniff test too. If it smells like alcohol, I dont use it.

InnerSoul

Sistaslick said:

ITA, with the bold part.;)

Candy1978

There are black owned beauty supply stores, there aren't many do to this monopoly that asian owners are creating. but if you go to http://www.BOBSA.org you can find a list of black beauty supply stores.

janiebaby said:
I don't know about the alcohol. But to address the Asian BSS issue. I have never seen a black owned BSS although I've seen BSS that employ black people. I've even seen Eastern European BSS but never black owned. I'm sure there are some out there.