Alert- Does Surge cause scalp flaking?

melodee

I have read on different threads how at least three ladies have had problems with flaking scalps recently. Asummertyme explained how her stylist had to rewash her hair after her scalp flaked up so badly. She just came out of braids and was a regular Surger.
I have had a problem with a scablike rash at the back of my head (just below the kitchen)that felt like a sore or a big cut. It spread for a while before my husband told me what it looked like and I treated it with A & D ointment. It's better now, but not gone. I also have braids, but have never suffered any allergic reactions in the past (sme hair used). The only thing I've been doing differently is using Surge. I really like the results I'm getting from it, but is it causing anyone else scalp issues? Or is this just a major coincidence?

biyanna

I was wondering the same thing. Can you just use surge on your hair or does it have to be applied to the scalp?

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I've been using the Surge spray 1x a day on my hairline, kitchen and short spot for about two weeks. So far I haven't experienced any scalp problems.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Both. The instructions say:
Spray directly into scalp, part hair or braid then spray scalp. For best results shampoo hair and use twice a day. As a detangler and to stop split ends, spray directly on hair.

localhost

Based on the threads that I read, I think that it does cause an adverse affect on the scalp in some individuals.

Some report that their scalp tingles when they use this product, and I think this sensation is the beginning sign of dry scalp...I used to take MSM (a type of sulfur), and I experienced the tingling sensation before I noticed my scalp became extremely dry. Maybe it's the sulfur in the SURGE product that causes the scalp to dry out?

[ QUOTE ]
The instructions say:
Spray directly into scalp, part hair or braid then spray scalp. For best results shampoo hair and use twice a day. As a detangler and to stop split ends, spray directly on hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

For those who are using this product, are you shampooing once per day? The way I read the instructions, it says to shampoo and then use twice per day. I'm assuming you need to follow these instructions everyday?

ms_kenesha

I think it may have that reaction in some but not all. I use it about 1X a day and have been using it for a mth with no adverse effects and my FI has been using it for that long as well, but he always has a dry scalp so I don't think the Surge has worsened it.

Nyambura

surfer girl
Melodee, I'm sorry to read this. I haven't tried Surge yet (dragging my feet until I see continuing raves six or so months from now). But why not make an appointment with your doctor/dermatologist?

chewy

There are threads here where the posters talked about how drying surge was to their hair and scalps. They also wrote that they sprayed oil or conditioner on after the Surge.
So far, I've been using Surge for 2 weeks/twice daily, followed by Hot Six Oil and haven't (knock on wood) experienced any dryness of hair or scalp yet.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
For those who are using this product, are you shampooing once per day?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good tip.
Maybe it's only only supposed to be applied to a clean scalp? I conditioner wash every day or two. I apply the Surge at night, though.

asummertyme

hmm, this is interesting, i washed my hair 1x a week with the braids and surged 2x a day only to the scalp, but i applied it all over my head, and the stylists told me the flakes were just in the front....it was really weird.....

DragonPearl

Keep in mind that whenever you are using any product there is always the potential for an allergic reaction.
The instructions on the bottle do say to use Surge 2x a day and shampoo hair every day, but I can't do that so I compromise. I use Surge on my scalp 1x a day instead of 2x a day, but I do wash my hair every 5 days instead of once a week.

ChasingBliss

Well I surge twice a day, shampoo and Co wash every 4th day, and I have had no problems. I use the surge/S Curl on my hair and scalp, but I dont really focus it all over my scalp, I focus it mostly on my hair. She also said the flaking was in the front though, could it be from the pulling of the braids at the hairline in addition to a little scratching? It could be possible eh? Because the hairline can feel more sensitive to braids than the rest of the scalp.

asummertyme

[ QUOTE ]
HoneyLemonDrop said:
Well I surge twice a day, shampoo and Co wash every 4th day, and I have had no problems. I use the surge/S Curl on my hair and scalp, but I dont really focus it all over my scalp, I focus it mostly on my hair. She also said the flaking was in the front though, could it be from the pulling of the braids at the hairline in addition to a little scratching? It could be possible eh? Because the hairline can feel more sensitive to braids than the rest of the scalp.

[/ QUOTE ] no i never wore my hair in a pony tail, i wore it down every single day, and no itchy scalp either, i washed my hair 1x a week with the braids in, i didnt let it get itchy..

ChasingBliss

[ QUOTE ]
asummertyme said:
[ QUOTE ]
HoneyLemonDrop said:

[/ QUOTE ] no i never wore my hair in a pony tail, i wore it down every single day, and no itchy scalp either, i washed my hair 1x a week with the braids in, i didnt let it get itchy..

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay sorry hon, I was just trying to exhaust all possibilities.

laketta

Although surge is working in slowing shedding and elasticity, I am having flakes but I think this happens when you have the surge and other product in your hair. If you wash your hair often then the flakes will not be a problem.

Ire_manzi

I spray my daughters hair with surge three times a week. When i was styling her hair today i noticed some flakes on her scalp. She never had this before surge.

Crystena77

I'm seven weeks into spraying with surge 2X a day with no problems.

I do daily conditioner washes which I think is key. As was brought out, the instructions say to shampoo hair and use twice daily. I think that halts the flaking and build up.

ccd

I've been using Surge since the challenge (I think Nov.) and I haven't experienced flaking but I mostly put it in my hairline, kitchen area and maybe once or twice a week in my scalp thru out my hair ...I use the spray mixed with the cream so I don't see flakes but I do wash my hair more often now. It makes my hair "heavy"/oily looking

simone103

I had flakes when I had braids recently. I believe it was probably due to the Surge. The flakes were thick and brown, and I've never had a skin reaction like before in the past with and without braids, so I definitely think it had something to do with the Surge. But what I found was that if I sprayed with Surge and then immediately afterward oiled my scalp, the problem would disappear. I have since taken out the braids and spray my scalp with Surge and oil it afterwards, and I haven't noticed any adverse effects since.

anikalia

I was initially spraying Surge on my scalp and it caused huge flakes, with and without additional oil. Now I just spray on my hair from time to time. When I stopped using it the dandruff went away.

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
I have never tried surge before...but...I was thinking about trying it. I was wondering if it contains alcohol? Thanks!

miss_brown

Surge also gave me flakes (I'm also in braids), but the growth is crazy, so I just wash my scalp as often as possible and keep it moving

Re the scab/sore issue, I don't know if Surge would cause that, but I would definitely imagine that it would irritate any prior scalp condition. I would recommend that Surgers make sure that they have no other scalp probs before applying. HTH

Mercedes24

I started using Surge on my hair and my daughter's hair about two weeks ago. I stopped using it on my daughter's hair because I noticed her scalp was drying out and she developed a rash around her hairline. Her scalp is too sensitive for Surge. So now I'm back to just using coconut oil on her hair. I also noticed that I was developing dandruff, and I haven't had a problem with dandruff in years. I wash my hair every other day with Giovanni 50/50 shampoo. I will continue to use Surge on my hair to see if it really increases hair growth, and I will keep everyone posted on the dandruff situation.

quitestorm22

The way I read the directions is to either braid the hair first and spray the scalp or part the hair and spray the scalp. If you want to use it as a detangler, then you wash your hair and put it on your hair as a detangler. You do not have to wash your hair everyday. Another thing that we aren't realizing is product buildup can have alot to do with it so it is important to keep those scalps clean and moisturized.

lthomas1

Hair Power!
[ QUOTE ]
quitestorm22 said:
The way I read the directions is to either braid the hair first and spray the scalp or part the hair and spray the scalp. If you want to use it as a detangler, then you wash your hair and put it on your hair as a detangler. You do not have to wash your hair everyday. Another thing that we aren't realizing is product buildup can have alot to do with it so it is important to keep those scalps clean and moisturized.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto