Alert- Does Surge cause scalp flaking?

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
SweetPea said:
Based on the threads that I read, I think that it does cause an adverse affect on the scalp in some individuals.

Some report that their scalp tingles when they use this product, and I think this sensation is the beginning sign of dry scalp...I used to take MSM (a type of sulfur), and I experienced the tingling sensation before I noticed my scalp became extremely dry. Maybe it's the sulfur in the SURGE product that causes the scalp to dry out?

[ QUOTE ]
The instructions say:
Spray directly into scalp, part hair or braid then spray scalp. For best results shampoo hair and use twice a day. As a detangler and to stop split ends, spray directly on hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

For those who are using this product, are you shampooing once per day? The way I read the instructions, it says to shampoo and then use twice per day. I'm assuming you need to follow these instructions everyday?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read some posts where people think there is MSM in Surge. There isn't. If it's the Revitalizer 14 spray, sulfur isn't a listed ingredient either. I double checked my bottle.

melodee

What I have concluded is:
1. Although Surge does not cause a reaction on all users, it is probably the cause of a reaction in a significant number of users.

2. A number of those with reactions had a scaly, brown, scab-like flaking as opposed to a white, dandruff flaking.

3. A few of those who had reactions were wearing braids at the time.

This is not to say that it is not worth using Surge,just be mindful that it can cause a reaction. I've since stopped using it twice a day. I only use it once every two days and I make sure to apply A & D ointment to the back of my neck. The scab has cleared up.

Dutchess

Yes, me too, about 2 weeks after using Surge I had soreness and flaking in the front and on the sides of my scalp. It was pretty bad, I scratched all the flaking areas with my comb, washed and conditioned my hair. I also put Castor oil on my scalp and that helped those areas to heal. I attribute this reaction to my scalp being too sensitive for Surge and/or maybe I was using too much. I still use Surge but only once a day in small amounts. I haven't noticed anymore soreness or flaking since I modified my usage.

localhost

[ QUOTE ]
AJamericanDiva said:
[ QUOTE ]
SweetPea said:
Based on the threads that I read, I think that it does cause an adverse affect on the scalp in some individuals.

Some report that their scalp tingles when they use this product, and I think this sensation is the beginning sign of dry scalp...I used to take MSM (a type of sulfur), and I experienced the tingling sensation before I noticed my scalp became extremely dry. Maybe it's the sulfur in the SURGE product that causes the scalp to dry out?

[ QUOTE ]
The instructions say:
Spray directly into scalp, part hair or braid then spray scalp. For best results shampoo hair and use twice a day. As a detangler and to stop split ends, spray directly on hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

For those who are using this product, are you shampooing once per day? The way I read the instructions, it says to shampoo and then use twice per day. I'm assuming you need to follow these instructions everyday?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read some posts where people think there is MSM in Surge. There isn't. If it's the Revitalizer 14 spray, sulfer isn't a listed ingredient either. I double checked my bottle.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">Taken from the "Surge Ingredient : MUCCOPOLYSACCHARIDES" thread, regarding SweetNic JA's post:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's a little information I found about one of the ingredients in surge. It's supposedly acts as a growth factor.

Here's a direct quote (mind you it's 27 years old ):
"Research studies also suggests that Muccopolysaccharides are used in burn treatments, they
are responsible for wound-healing activities because they act as a growth factor. This growth
factor contributes to wound-healing by stimulating fibroblasts (connective-tissue cells) to produce
more collagen, which in turn increases the remodeling of the wound and fills in the wound area.
Acting synergistically, Muccopolysaccharides keeps the wound moist and at the same time allow
oxygen to penetrate the wound, adding to the regeneration. -- Drugs &amp; Cosmetics Journal (June 1977)"
Source: http://www.nutrican.com/download/pdf/nubeautestory.pdf

Another important connection:
It appears that Muccopolysaccharides is a type of sulfur. This is according to my interpretation of this paragraph. If that's the case, then Sulfur-8 should be comparable to Surge.
"Sulphur- Muccopolysaccharides, an essential part of connective tissue- strength and elasticity- important for body structure, intracellular ground substance, cell coat; detoxifying compounds."

http://www.ann.com.au/Nutrition/disorder.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
</font>

I don't use SURGE, so I have no bottle to refer to when discussing the ingredients, but, I came across this information that suggested that sulfur is in SURGE, in the form of Muccopolysaccharides, which is a type of sulfur as stated above. Is Muccopolysaccharides listed on any of your bottles?

I'm thinking that there's something about the nature of sulfur that dries out the scalp based on the reactions some people have with SURGE, sulfur8, and MSM. I just tried to draw the connection between MSM and Muccopolysaccharides, the connection being sulfer. I had dry scalp issues with MSM, some are having dry scalp issues with the muccopolysaccharides in SURGE....I hope my thesis is making sense

AJamericanDiva

Yeah, Girl... You're making sense... You know the science minded side of me tends to get out. I didn't know the mucopolysaccharide was from sulfur, as a polysaccharide is a molecule composed of sugar subunits, i.e. starch, glycogen, etc. I'll have to check into this.

AJamericanDiva

Still doing research... just so you know, not a personal attack, but a need to satisfy curiosity. I'm just a thesis away from completing my Masters in Molecular and Cellular Biology, so bear with me.

The definition of a mucopolysaccharide as found here.
Web Definition: mucopolysaccharide - complex polysaccharides containing an amino group; occur chiefly as components of connective tissue
www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn

When I read the first link to the article, it's from a lady selling skincare products. If you look two paragraphs up from what is being quoted, she says (in regards to NuBEaute her skincare products):

"What are some of the ingredients that make it so effective?
NuBeaute skincare products contains an special water-soluble moisturizer derived from high quality Aloe Vera called MUCOPOLYSACCHARIDEs (MPS) which is a gel-like substance that is know for its ability to carry water and nourishment (oil molecules) deep into the skin without causing any irritation. MPS also holds your skin's collagen and elastin together, giving it a firm and elastic property."

She then has a little short paragraph and then goes on to the quote that was posted starting with, "Research studies also suggests that Muccopolysaccharides are used in burn treatments, they are responsible for wound-healing activities...."

The other site lists:

"Splitting Nails - Finger nails Split

Silica- Mucopolysaccharide functions- nail growth; forms a structural part of collagen; gives strength.

Iodine- Cell differentiation and growth; maintenance of skin and hair; stabilises and controls most biochemical reactions.

Sulphur- Part of the three S- containing a.a.s - methionine, cysteine and cystine; Muccopolysaccharides, an essential part of connective tissue- strength and elasticity- important for body structure, intracellular ground substance, cell coat.

XS Mn- abnormalities in bone and cartilage- retard growth ( especially hair and nails)."

I will try and follow up on this as it has become quite interesting.....

Valerie

I have experienced a tingling sensation, but today, I did my Conditioning wash and rinse and sprayed on the Surge 14. As for best results, you have to spray it on the scalp, I would do Conditioning washes and rinses in the morning and do glycerine/rosewater rinse in the evening and mix a little bit of olive oil with castor oil, to put on my scalp.

Victorian

old head
I'm sorry to hear Surge is causing problems for some people. This makes me hesitant to try it because I have the world's most sensitive scalp and I'd probably be one of the people on here reporting itching and flakes
*sigh*
Oh, and I posted about it in that mucopolysaccharide thread, but just to reiterate, not all mucopoly's contain sulfur. I don't have surge so I can't read the label, but if it just says "mucopolysaccharides" as an ingredient, then we don't really know for sure whether or not it contains sulfur, since they didn't say which specific molecules. Now, if I had to GUESS, I would say that it probably does have sulfur, since sulfur is so popular for hair growth, and also with so many people having reactions that are similar to the reactions some people get with sulfur, it just seems pretty likely.

My scalp will flake up for any little reason. My scalp itches even if I just put a little bit of a light oil on it. I dunno...maybe surge isn't for me

DahomeyAhosi

After about a month of use I started noticing these huge brown scaly flakes on my scalp. My husband is now noticing them also. First I thought it was a failure to fully wash out DRC-28 but I haven't used that product in ages so I'm pretty sure it's the surge...

pookeylou

Here is my Surge routine:

Saturday: Condition wash with Hummectant type conditioner
*Spritz w/Leave in conditioner
2 strand twist/banut knots with shea butter
Spray exposed scalp area w/Surge-hairline also

Sunday: Spray in the morning with Surge
Wear curly fro
2 strand dry twist/bantu knot w/shea
Spray with Surge

Monday: Spray with Surge
Wear curly fro

Tuesday: Deep condition (Morning)
2 strand twist/bantu knot w/Shea butter
Spray with Surge
Keep head covered under silk wrap all day
Spray with Surge (night)

Wednesday: Spray with Surge (morning)
Wear curly fro

Thursday: Condition Wash
2 ST/BN with shea butter
Spray with Surge
Cover hair with silk wrap
Spray with Surge before bed/Cover head

Friday: Spray with Surge
Wear Curly Fro

Saturday: Condition Wash
2ST/BN with shea butter
Spray with Surge
Cover head with silk wrap
Spray with Surge at night

Sunday: Spray with Surge in morning
Wear curly fro
2ST/BN with shea butter at night
Spray with Surge

I have never had any flaking whatsoever...I think it is because:

I wash my hair frequently...
I wash my hair with humectant type conditioners which pull moisture into my hair.
I twist my hair with shea butter..which has vitamin e-both properties heal the skin.

*NOTE* I spritz my hair with a leave in conditioner before I twist...my conditioner is Infusium with Glycerin added (another humectant type agent that pulls moisture into my hair)...it also has rosemary oil added which is a natural preservative, antibacterial agent and (may) aid in hair growth.

It sounds like that because my hair gets alot of moisture and the shea butter and essential oils act as emoillents that help hold in the moisture...is the reason I dont have the dryness and flaking I hear others have a problem with.

WaterMoccasin

[ QUOTE ]
DahomeyAhosi said:
After about a month of use I started noticing these huge brown scaly flakes on my scalp. My husband is now noticing them also. First I thought it was a failure to fully wash out DRC-28 but I haven't used that product in ages so I'm pretty sure it's the surge...

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here! I know for sure the surge is causing these flakes. Especially since it has a tendency to dry out the scalp/hair. I used to use Care free curl moisturizer with it and that helped, but when it ran out, the dryness was unbelievable. And being in braids, it was easy to spot the big-a$$ flakes that popped up! And of course picking at them only brought forth more...

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
BlackCardinal said:
I'm sorry to hear Surge is causing problems for some people. This makes me hesitant to try it because I have the world's most sensitive scalp and I'd probably be one of the people on here reporting itching and flakes
*sigh*
Oh, and I posted about it in that mucopolysaccharide thread, but just to reiterate, not all mucopoly's contain sulfur. I don't have surge so I can't read the label, but if it just says "mucopolysaccharides" as an ingredient, then we don't really know for sure whether or not it contains sulfur, since they didn't say which specific molecules. Now, if I had to GUESS, I would say that it probably does have sulfur, since sulfur is so popular for hair growth, and also with so many people having reactions that are similar to the reactions some people get with sulfur, it just seems pretty likely.

My scalp will flake up for any little reason. My scalp itches even if I just put a little bit of a light oil on it. I dunno...maybe surge isn't for me

[/ QUOTE ]

As Black Cardinal said, only the manufacturer knows for sure. This is how Surge describes the mucopolysaccharide on their site. Scroll down ingredient listing... Surge ingredients

asummertyme

well i am sure now it was the surge that caused those flakes...i stoped and then started surging again, without braid, and they flakes began again......i guess it is not for everyone...the bottle is now used for water and a leave in mix...

Mija

Exotical OG
I have had no flaking or itching. (and I wash my hair once a week. I've been using Surge for 4 weeks and I can see the growth.)

vixen

hi everyone...this is my first post.yahhh...anyway...i started with surge and i must say that after i permed my hair, within the first 2 weeks i had substantial new growth. my hairdresser is still in shock..so to the lady who shared this secret...from the bottom of my heart thank you. oh yeah i've had no bad reaction from using surge...well not yet at least.