"All the hair that falls out during your perm is damaged hair"

moonlightchic18

Hello ladies.:yawn: I just recently subscribed after lurking and I'm not sure if this thread has been done before.

However, my mom was relaxing my hair this morning and she told me that because of my constant co-washing (once a day) that the relaxer was going to take out any hair on my head that I had damaged. I have no idea if this is true (which is why I'm turning to YOU for an answer or opinion). I'm now under the dryer and I didn't really see much hair come out while washing the relaxer (a few strands).

Do you think my Mom was just trying to scare me because she doesn't agree with co-washing? Or is it true that all the hair that comes out during your relaxer is damaged hair?:perplexed

Your mother was trying to scare you because she does not agree with co-washing.

Gonna have to co-sign on this one. Some hair that comes out will likely be shed hair, some hair will be damaged, and heck, some hair comes out because the relaxer is left in too long. It's definitely not all for one reason. You're going to have a lot of people disagreeing with your choices and offering their opinions regarding how your hair will behave; you just have to keep doing what's right for your hair, and let your results speak for themselves!

Oh, and :welcome4:to the board!!

You may want to consider doing your own relaxer in the future. Sometimes when people (stylists/family) don't agree with your hair practices or get jealous of your length, they will sabotage your efforts. It's unfortunate, but true! :nono:

I have never heard of a relaxer "taking out damaged hair." I don't think you should be losing a lot of hair when you get it relaxed anyway (at least not anymore than what sheds naturally during styling).

Also, welcome to the forum. :)

I have never heard of a relaxer "taking out damaged hair." I don't think you should be losing a lot of hair when you get it relaxed anyway (at least not anymore than what sheds naturally during styling).

Also, welcome to the forum. :)

True. I have never heard of a relaxer taking out damaged hair either. However, I have heard of relaxers damaging hair. So if you lose any hair and it looks damaged, then the relaxer probably did it.

Hello ladies.:yawn: I just recently subscribed after lurking and I'm not sure if this thread has been done before.

However, my mom was relaxing my hair this morning and she told me that because of my constant co-washing (once a day) that the relaxer was going to take out any hair on my head that I had damaged. I have no idea if this is true (which is why I'm turning to YOU for an answer or opinion). I'm now under the dryer and I didn't really see much hair come out while washing the relaxer (a few strands).

Do you think my Mom was just trying to scare me because she doesn't agree with co-washing? Or is it true that all the hair that comes out during your relaxer is damaged hair?:perplexed

Yes. That and she's trying to save on her next water bill :lol:

Welcome to LHCF :wave:

That is why I don't share my hair regimen with people. If they don't agree with what you are doing, they ridicule you or sabotage you.:ohwell: I wish you continued success in the future and welcome to LHCF!:yep::congrats:

Thanks for the advice and support ladies. I'm just gonna have to do my own thing. When my hair is healthy and hanging down my back she'll see.

Also, thanks for the welcomes!

Back