New growth question

br0wney3z

So my mom is a firm believer that too much hair washing will make your relaxer 'revert.' I got a relaxer 3 weeks ago (Apr. 6) and sine then have been washing my hair 2x a week (1 co-wash, 1 poo/DC). I already have growth that feels like I'm 5-6 wks post. My question is, is that new growth, or am I just washing out my relaxer, if that possible.

dreysonsmommy2011

I wash my hair 2x weekly also....I personally don't believe in reversion. Getting a relaxer is a chemical process that straightens the hair. If "reversion" can take place then getting a relaxer to straighten the hair is pointless;)

Cheleigh

nikkipoo said:
I wash my hair 2x weekly also....I personally don't believe in reversion. Getting a relaxer is a chemical process that straightens the hair. If "reversion" can take place then getting a relaxer to straighten the hair is pointless;)

ITA. Also, I could never duplicate the straightness of the salon styling when I washed/flatironed my own hair. Water does cause frizz, so it could be frizzy hair at the roots from the water, but the relaxer is not "reverting."

SvelteVelvet

If that was true, than all of your hair will revert, not just the inch or so near your scalp. Next time someone says that explain that analogy, like ok, say when you touched up your hair, you touched up 2 inches of new growth, after 3 weeks you have .5 to an inch of new growth, ask "how is that reversion? and why would it be just this much when I touched up that much?" The only explanation left is because it's newly grown hair, I bet they'd change their belief of that then.

Mook's hair

br0wney3z said:
So my mom is a firm believer that too much hair washing will make your relaxer 'revert.' I got a relaxer 3 weeks ago (Apr. 6) and sine then have been washing my hair 2x a week (1 co-wash, 1 poo/DC). I already have growth that feels like I'm 5-6 wks post. My question is, is that new growth, or am I just washing out my relaxer, if that possible.
My sister-in-law believes that too.
There is something bad that happens if you wet a permanent curl (the kind that white girls get) to soon after the process. And I think that became mixed up in black-folks myth because so many call relaxers perms.

just a guess. But no it's not true.