Allergy to Aloe Vera Gel?????

Coffee

I put on Aloe Vera Gel on my hair and scalp to pre-poo on Tuesday night. During the middle of the night I noticed my face was itching. It condtinued to itch all night and all day Wednesday. I was trying to think if I did anything differently, then I remembered I put Aloe Vera gel in my scalp and hair. I then used some Ojon Detox poo/and Trader's Joe's awesome condish to clean my hair.

I went on the internet to do a search and found out loads of people had allergic reactions to Aloe Vera. I've used it before in my condish, but never directly on my scalp. Last night I put some cortisone on my face, and neck; this morning, no more itching.

Has anyone else had a reaction to Aloe Vera?

rririla

I actually used straight aloe vera gel on my face (from the plant) and I had burning and stinging from it...I thought it was strange because it is supposed to have so many benefits, but I wound up having an adverse reaction to it. On the other hand I don't have any reaction to the BOTTLED aloe vera juice or gel..my scalp and skin love it. I have no idea why it happened to you, but hopefully you can figure it out, because aloe vera is really great for the hair. I'm also not sure if you used the plant source or a bottled source but maybe you can check into that aspect of it.

Last edited:

trinity8mod8

Yes, I have also had an allergic reaction to Aloe Vera Juice and Aloe Vera Oil. It just seemed to affect my scalp though. Not my face and also not internally. When I would apply the aloe it would result in a burning sensation all over my scalp and was unbearable, especially if I used Aloe Vera Oil where the extract is concentrated.

However, I found out that the Aloe Vera plant contains a natural yellow latex substance (called aloin) that it produces and I also have a latex allergy. So I wanted to know if a used a brand where the latex is completely filtered out would I have a bad reaction to it. I used the Lily of the Desert brand. I got the one that said "inner fillet" and not "whole leaf" because the aloin and gel are separate inside of the plant and taking the inner fillet minimizes the aloin that ends up in the final extract. Also that brand said it had less than 1 part per million of aloin.

So I started using their gel on my hair and scalp and I haven't had any more issues with a burning, stinging scalp. In my case it was an aloin allergy, but I know from looking it up that people can also have a bad reaction to the polysaccharides in the gel, which can't be helped by removing aloin. If you really like using AVG try the "inner fillet" kind and see if, like me, it's just the aloin or if you have to stop using the gel completely.

Hope this helps!

Coffee

Thanks ladies. I got mine from a homemade product line, so I don't know if something additional was added. I will email her and see what she has to say.

Angel of the North

Thanks ladies. I got mine from a homemade product line, so I don't know if something additional was added. I will email her and see what she has to say.

Coffee This was what I was going to ask, if there were any other ingredients listed in the gel that could have triggered the reaction? Have you used aloe vera gel before?

Coffee

@Coffee This was what I was going to ask, if there were any other ingredients listed in the gel that could have triggered the reaction? Have you used aloe vera gel before?

@Angel of the North, she didn't list any ingredients on the bottle. I have an email to her; I'll let you know what she has to say..

I use Aloe Vera in my conditioners, but this is the 1st time I've put it directly on my scalp.

Angel of the North

@Angel of the North, she didn't list any ingredients on the bottle. I have an email to her; I'll let you know what she has to say..

I use Aloe Vera in my conditioners, but this is the 1st time I've put it directly on my scalp.

I am very weary of products that don't have ingredients listed, I don't go near them. I hope you get an answer to your email, let us know what she says.

Coffee

I heard back from the seller and she said it was only Aloe Vera Gel, no other ingredients. Soooo, it looks like I'm okay as long as I don't put it directly on my scalp :nono:.

HanaKuroi

Coffee said:
I heard back from the seller and she said it was only Aloe Vera Gel, no other ingredients. Soooo, it looks like I'm okay as long as I don't put it directly on my scalp :nono:.

There must be a preservative added. Aloe Vera gel or juice has to refrigerated after opening.

I am allergic to certain preservatives used in hair products. I get the symptoms you described Coffee. Email her back and ask her what preservative she uses.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

Coffee

There must be a preservative added. Aloe Vera gel or juice has to refrigerated after opening.

I am allergic to certain preservatives used in hair products. I get the symptoms you described @Coffee. Email her back and ask her what preservative she uses.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

HanaKuroi, I didn't think of that. I will email her to see what she has to say. I'll let you know when I hear back.