Alopecia Areata advice

SouthernBeauty

Hello I am kinda new and I was diagnosed with Alopecia Areata. My hair has grown back since but I was wondering will it be okay to get some box braids. I dont want to get anything that will irritate my scalp. Any suggestions

Nonie

That's a tricky question because it depends on how well your scalp has healed--depending on what causes the AA--and whether the braider is skilled enough not to pull too hard or add too much hair to cause traction alopecia. When in doubt, I say don't.

P

patient1

Where's the alopecia at?

If it's somewhere up top or in the center of your head, I'd so go for it according to the following:

Don't braid that area or an inch around of the healthy hair that surrounds it. That way there is absolutely no more tension than what would be there in any unextended hair style.

If the alopecia presented itself in several areas that you can't block off from braids, then don't do it at all.

hth,
p1

SouthernBeauty

Where's the alopecia at?

If it's somewhere up top or in the center of your head, I'd so go for it according to the following:

Don't braid that area or an inch around of the healthy hair that surrounds it. That way there is absolutely no more tension than what would be there in any unextended hair style.

If the alopecia presented itself in several areas that you can't block off from braids, then don't do it at all.

hth,
p1

It was in the back on the left side but my hair has grown back. I just dont want to do anything that could cause me to get the spots again. Thanks for the info.

SouthernBeauty

Thanks Ladies I think I will just do without them! I would rather continue to wear my current protective styles than have to start all over. Thanks again for telling me the truth and not just what I wanted to hear!

P

patient1

It was in the back on the left side but my hair has grown back. I just dont want to do anything that could cause me to get the spots again. Thanks for the info.

If it's only one spot, I'd just leave that area unbraided and pull the other braids over it. If you put it in a bun, leave it in the bun except for washings.

If it's more than one spot, I wouldn't do them at all.

Congratulations on regrowing your hair!!!:yep:

p1

Nonie

But disregarding the alopecia aereta, getting braid extensions is something you should do with someone whose work you've seen and know will lead to successful growth. There are people who have had no issues with their hair, gotten extensions and then had no hair on their hairline thereafter. So don't exchange one problem for another. If you decide to get braids as directed by P1, make sure you know that braider's work. That her clients don't lose hair from very tight braids or too much hair added to very little of their own.

City_girl

I wouldn't try it if I were you. I was also diagnosed with alopecia a year ago. I had gone to a white dermatologist and she essentially told me there was nothing she could do. I then went to a black dermatologist here in Atlanta who prescribed me his own product. Thank God my hair has grown back fully, but I was all clean in the back of my head. Since then I've changed my entire routine, and I stay AWAY from any type of hair/scalp stress.

P

patient1

I really wish braiders would learn not to braid tightly. Securely, yes. Tight, never.

p1

SouthernBeauty

But disregarding the alopecia aereta, getting braid extensions is something you should do with someone whose work you've seen and know will lead to successful growth. There are people who have had no issues with their hair, gotten extensions and then had no hair on their hairline thereafter. So don't exchange one problem for another. If you decide to get braids as directed by P1, make sure you know that braider's work. That her clients don't lose hair from very tight braids or too much hair added to very little of their own.

This is probably another reason why I should wait then! I just moved to a small town and I only know of a shop that does braids but I dont know anyone here to get the real information on their technique.

SouthernBeauty

I wouldn't try it if I were you. I was also diagnosed with alopecia a year ago. I had gone to a white dermatologist and she essentially told me there was nothing she could do. I then went to a black dermatologist here in Atlanta who prescribed me his own product. Thank God my hair has grown back fully, but I was all clean in the back of my head. Since then I've changed my entire routine, and I stay AWAY from any type of hair/scalp stress.

That is good girl. I better just say screw the braids! "SCREW THE BRAIDS"!!!!!:saythat: