Alter Ego Garlic Hair Treatment Gets 2 Thumbs Up

sj73

I just used Alter Ego Garlic Hair Treatment for the first time and I'm very pleased with the results. At first, I thought my hair was going to be an oily mess when I noticed "Oil Treatment" on the jar (didn't know that). But, after DC with it, washed it out and let my hair air-dry, it was great. I noticed an instant reduction in shedding. Wondering if it's ok to use it again after one week, to try to nip the shedding totally in the bud.

Thanks for recommending the product ladies! :grin:

i'm also a huge fan. i don't know about using it weekly. i've been trying to find out about that myself. hope someone responds soon.

Okay that is it, I am buying this product ASAP. I have been using black tea rinses and they have helped but I am still losing more hair than I ever have.

Shedding is normal, why do you want to stop it completly?

Well, I guess I should have said, I want to get it under control. I've been losing A WHOLE lot of hair over the last four months. I agree that shedding is normal, but if I notice my hair getting thinner, I really don't think it's a good thing. I'm only planning to use this product when I see severe shedding, like I've been experiencing.

You make a good point though. :yep:

Well, I guess I should have said, I want to get it under control. I've been losing A WHOLE lot of hair over the last four months. I agree that shedding is normal, but if I notice my hair getting thinner, I really don't think it's a good thing. I'm only planning to use this product when I see severe shedding, like I've been experiencing.

You make a good point though. :yep:

Gotcha :)

maybe you should have some blood work done as well.

How often do you wash your scalp with shampoo?

I notice when I go too long I get a lot of buildup which contributes to excessive shedding on wash day.

I've also noticed since the weather is warmer I cant go longer than 5 days and I need to wash my hair. In the fall and winter I could go 7-10 days.

OP, my shedding gets under control after one use, so I won't be using it weekly.

Background: When I first got it, I used it on my entire head and not scalp only like the directions state. Why? I failed to read the directions. :look: I just plopped it on my head and went about my way. Shedding pretty much halted. The next 2 weeks, I mixed 1T within my Kenra DC. Still great results. It wasn't until an e-friend and I had a chat about weekly use. We never concluded whether it's good/bad but I opted not to use it weekly until I could ask my dermatologist. Now, I use AE when shedding is picking up in intensity. I went about 3 weeks without using AE but just last week I mixed 1T into my Kenra DC and the shedding returned to what I consider normal shedding. So again, I will use it as needed, not weekly.

So this alter ego with garlic is an oil treatment? I didn't know that. I went on line to purchase some and wondered why I only saw the oil treatment. I thought I had to look else where to find the AE creme conditioner.

It's my Go-To after Self-Relaxing. I always Steam with it for about 1-2 weeks Post Relaxer. I will also use Nutrine Garlic Conditioner to Co-Wash with as well.:yep:

I use both to keep any potential 'shedding' at bay. Predominately weeks 1-4 Post.

I will co-sign with this review, Alter Ego is a very good conditioner, I have tried other products but this is one of the best i have ever used and i have used plenty of other brands. Just this past weekend i tried Aveda Dry Remedy conditioner and it was awful in comparision, the Aveda had no slip left my hair tangeled and dull. I learned just because something is expensive doesnt mean it works.

So this alter ego with garlic is an oil treatment? I didn't know that. I went on line to purchase some and wondered why I only saw the oil treatment. I thought I had to look else where to find the AE creme conditioner.

It's an oil treatment, but it's creamy. You will feel the oils when you put it on your hair. I was thinking "this is going to be an oily mess when I wash it out," but my hair air-dried and had lots of swing. I love this conditioner. Wish I used it during my last 4 month stretch. I lost A LOT of hair! Now, I think I can do the 4 month stretch again, without worrying. As soon as I see excessive shedding, out comes my "Alter Ego" :lol:

Gotcha :)

maybe you should have some blood work done as well.

How often do you wash your scalp with shampoo?

I notice when I go too long I get a lot of buildup which contributes to excessive shedding on wash day.

I've also noticed since the weather is warmer I cant go longer than 5 days and I need to wash my hair. In the fall and winter I could go 7-10 days.

I shampoo my hair once a week. I used to do twice a week, but a busy work day stopped that. I only wear my hair down 3 days each week (in buns the remaining 4 days).

I've heard the directions are to apply to the scalp, but are most people using it this way or as a full dc for the hair?

I've heard the directions are to apply to the scalp, but are most people using it this way or as a full dc for the hair?

I apply it to my hair and then massage it into my scalp and then deep condition. It's a creme, but it's a runny creme...almost impossible not to get it on your hair.

i really want to try the but the price gets me every time:nono:
I'm the queen of frugal but will never question this purchase now that I've taken the plunge. It's a great product and fast acting (for me). It beats mixing up fresh garlic and having the entire house all stank. :yep: My dh had enough of smelling garlic. :lol: I truly feel the fresh garlic is slower acting than AE. AE does in one use what fresh garlic would likely do in 2 or 3 uses.

It's my Go-To after Self-Relaxing. I always Steam with it for about 1-2 weeks Post Relaxer. I will also use Nutrine Garlic Conditioner to Co-Wash with as well.:yep:

I use both to keep any potential 'shedding' at bay. Predominately weeks 1-4 Post.
Do you whole head apply or scalp only?

All I have to say I LOVE THIS PRODUCT! It is worth it. Ladies who are iffy on the price, cut out one thing for the month to get this you won't regret. :)

So I have this hot oil treatment and I have been using it totally wrong! I used it as a deep conditioner when I should just be using it on my scalp only. I'm going to try the scalp way this weekend.

So I have this hot oil treatment and I have been using it totally wrong! I used it as a deep conditioner when I should just be using it on my scalp only. I'm going to try the scalp way this weekend.

Interesting... do you think this should really be used as a hot oil / prepoo? I've used in the past as a regular deep conditioner. But given that this is for the scalp, I was wondering if it might be more effective to use prior to washing, that way it was already marinated in the scalp and has done it's work. When I wash my hair, the shedding happens mostly when I wash... I realize when I appl oil to my scalp beforehand overnight, the shedding during my wash is less. So I wonder if using this treatment in the same manner would yield better results?

Interesting... do you think this should really be used as a hot oil / prepoo? I've used in the past as a regular deep conditioner. But given that this is for the scalp, I was wondering if it might be more effective to use prior to washing, that way it was already marinated in the scalp and has done it's work. When I wash my hair, the shedding happens mostly when I wash... I realize when I appl oil to my scalp beforehand overnight, the shedding during my wash is less. So I wonder if using this treatment in the same manner would yield better results?

I've only used it once as a deep conditioner but if one is trying to decrease shedding, it would make more sense to apply it to the scalp than to the ends/rest of the hair.

I have the same question on what step of my washing process should I use it and I'm thinking that as a prepoo would be the best bet. I'm going to try it this weekend and report back what I thought.

LovelyPiratess - I've been shopping in stores & checking online. What I noticed in 2 stores, and on online descriptions, is a jar that says garlic oil CONDITIONER - this one says use all over hair. The one that says MASK says scalp. See what your directions say. Not sure if they are the same, but usage and conditioner vs mask may make the difference. Going to try a 3rd store for the scalp treatment - hoping I don't have to order online.

Golden75, looks like I have the Garlic Oil Treatment so I've definitely been doing it wrong. When a poster up thread said it lasted her 2 years, I was like "WTH? I used like a 1/4 of it in one DC" lol.

Lesson of the day: read the instructions haha

@Golden75, looks like I have the Garlic Oil Treatment so I've definitely been doing it wrong. When a poster up thread said it lasted her 2 years, I was like "WTH? I used like a 1/4 of it in one DC" lol.

Lesson of the day: read the instructions haha

I had to order it. Everything I saw was the conditioner. One store had large jar for $40. It was cheaper to order online, including the shipping. Hopefully I'll be trying it out next weekend.

Ladies, do you dc after using this or dc at the same time? Like apply AE to scalp, dc to length, or rinse out AE, then dc?

:mwahahafire:I just received from Amazon: Alter Ego Itlay plus vitamin A hot oil treatment.

Directions: After shampooing the hair, apply the treatment all over the scalp, wait for a few minutes then rinse with water. Recommended to be used after shampooing, leave it on for about 15 minutes to have the best results.

I was wondering why it says HOT oil treatment but doesn't mention heat. :look:

Ladies, what does this garlic treatment smell like? Does it have a fragrance to mask the garlic smell? Or, does it stink?

Back