Am I crazy or is evryone doing protective styling?

mzcaramelicious07 said:
I do make sure I keep that satin scarf on my hair EVERYTIME it touches the pillow, couch, chair, etc!

That's really important. Since I'm wearing a curly rollerset too, I make sure that i wear a satin scarf (one of the really nice ones) around my shoulders so that my wool coat doesn't snap my hair off. It's unbelievable how many ladies I see that wear their nice hair down but it's being 'frictioned' by their coat. My stomach hurts everytime I see it. :nono:

tryn2growmyhair

Boadicea said:
Which one, Try? I change my avatar and sig so often! I don't remember what the last pic was of!
It's the one where you have the bright flower/star pin in your hair. What pin or ornament did you use and how did you make it? It looks very elegant.

Boadicea

Ah, that one. The broach is a floral design with rhinestones and pearls from H&M (Hennes). I used a bobby pin to put it in my hair. It's usually on my wool coat but I wanted to try it out as a hair accessory.

For the style, I used a Good Hair Days pin to hold it in place. I started by twisting my hair at the nape like you would if you were putting it in a french twist. Following french twist instructions, I positioned it straight up and then tucked the ends into the side and then srunched it down a little and pinned it just like that. Sort of like a french twist, but rounder. More like a bun.

Miosy

Sweet_Ambrosia said:
Protective Styles work for me,they aid in the growth of my hair so im sticking with it.

I usually wear: buns,braidouts,phony ponies & braids.

Same for me :)

ChosenbyGod

I wouldn't consider myself a regular protective styler, I tried to do the bun thing everyday but I couldn't hang.:nono: I really wear my hair down more than up. I do wear donut buns a lot though. I like my hair down rather than up in a protective style.

tryn2growmyhair

Boadicea said:
Ah, that one. The broach is a floral design with rhinestones and pearls from H&M (Hennes). I used a bobby pin to put it in my hair. It's usually on my wool coat but I wanted to try it out as a hair accessory.

For the style, I used a Good Hair Days pin to hold it in place. I started by twisting my hair at the nape like you would if you were putting it in a french twist. Following french twist instructions, I positioned it straight up and then tucked the ends into the side and then srunched it down a little and pinned it just like that. Sort of like a french twist, but rounder. More like a bun.
Thanks. Do you have a picture anywhere? Thanks a lot.

sylver2

ChosenbyGod said:

Sylver2, how long do you plan on stretching? You are doing a great job btw. I would like to stretch longer than my usual 12 wks.

I am stretching untle end of April. About 25-26 Weeks.

sylver2

brownhaired_bonanza said:
That's really important. Since I'm wearing a curly rollerset too, I make sure that i wear a satin scarf (one of the really nice ones) around my shoulders so that my wool coat doesn't snap my hair off. It's unbelievable how many ladies I see that wear their nice hair down but it's being 'frictioned' by their coat. My stomach hurts everytime I see it. :nono:

Yup, certain coats will do it, especially wool.

Isis

I forgot to mention that, for me, it takes no time at all to make a bun or a French Twist - about one minute or less. With braidouts, it just means unraveling the braids, separating a bit with my fingers and that's it.

hottopic

Sweet_Ambrosia said:
Protective Styles work for me,they aid in the growth of my hair so im sticking with it.

I usually wear: buns,braidouts,phony ponies & braids.
that's me :grin:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I wear my hair in a protective style almost every day. To wear my hair down would be too much work right now, especially with the cold weather. I see myself wearing braid-outs more when the weather is warmer. It takes about 2-5 minutes to bun my hair or make a single french braid or something :)

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Boadicea,
All of your protective styles are so beautiful! How do you get your french twist twist to stay in place? I am trying to master it but it's not working for me? I have heard some ladies talking about good day hairpins...where could i find those?

Boadicea

Thanks! I used 1-2 good hair days pins to hold it in place. Probably only one, but I don't remember. You don't need to use a bunch of them to keep your hair in place.

You can find them, or ones that are comparable, at beauty supply stores and even at Pathmark! Target also sells them and you can even buy them online at http://mp.hairboutique.com/

Boadicea

You can pin it sideways but I really don't know how to do that well. Everytime I try, the whole thing just falls apart. I pin it in the middle. Catch some scalp hair and pin it up so the round part is facing down.

tryn2growmyhair

Boadicea said:
You can pin it sideways but I really don't know how to do that well. Everytime I try, the whole thing just falls apart. I pin it in the middle. Catch some scalp hair and pin it up so the round part is facing down.
Thanks for all the tips, Boadicea. I am sorry to say that I am also still a little confused about how you did this. It looks beautiful, so I would love to try it. Also, where can I find good hair days pins in NYC. Are they seamless?

Boadicea

No, I don't think they are. There's a tiny seam on the outer part but I've never ever snagged a hair using them and I've been using them for quite a long time.

I'm sorry I can't be of any further help for that style. Most of my styles are made up. I don't follow any directions for them, because there aren't any. Mostly, I put my hair in a ponytail and twist it into a style I think looks good, pin it in place and I'm out the door.

You can find the pins at any BSS in the comb and hair accessory aisle. I got a bunch of them at the Pathmark in Whitestone in the hair care aisle. The Hair Boutique also sells them. http://mp.hairboutique.com Any chignon pin will do because they're all shaped the same.

Last edited:

carletta

yeah, I do wear protective styles. I have fine fragile hair. so protecting it is a must for me. although I do wear it "out" at times. the main pro. style for me is braids. IT HAS WORKED WONDERS FOR ME !