Am I moisturizing properly?

needmoresleep

Hi ladies,

A long time lurker here who's been very confused. :wallbash: I've been searching for and watching threads dealing with moisturizing and have tried many of the great tips everyone offers. But my hair stays dry, crunchy dry. :sad: I now realize I maybe I'm not using actual moisturizers just oils.

I am a texlaxed 4A/B with ORS No lye relaxer and I currently I use mutiple leave in conditioners, like creme of nature lemongrass and rosemary. and ORS olive oil moisturizing lotion, and doo gro hair and scalp oil.

Do these count as proper moisturizers?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
Your hair probably needs to be clarified....clarify then try your moisturizers again.

HTH

MirrorDoll

Leave ins and moisturizers are basically the same thing.

I've never heard of the cream of nature product, but the ors product is prtty good at keeping your hair moisturzed.

The doo gro is an oil, right? Oils don't moisturize, they can help lock moisture in.

Are you applying to damp hair? Even if I haven't washed my hair, I dampen it a little, then use my leave in and follow that with an oil.

I would save clarifying as a last resort.

Morenita

Leave ins and moisturizers are basically the same thing.

I've never heard of the cream of nature product, but the ors product is prtty good at keeping your hair moisturzed.

The doo gro is an oil, right? Oils don't moisturize, they can help lock moisture in.

Are you applying to damp hair? Even if I haven't washed my hair, I dampen it a little, then use my leave in and follow that with an oil.

I would save clarifying as a last resort.

I actually learned recently that some oils do moisturize. Namely coconut oil, and to an extent olive oil :yep:. Check this out: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=152473

OP: Are you deep conditioning? I found that until I actually began to deep condition my hair, I had a lot of trouble retaining moisture.

Irresistible

Hi ladies,

A long time lurker here who's been very confused. :wallbash: I've been searching for and watching threads dealing with moisturizing and have tried many of the great tips everyone offers. But my hair stays dry, crunchy dry. :sad: I now realize I maybe I'm not using actual moisturizers just oils.

I am a texlaxed 4A/B with ORS No lye relaxer and I currently I use mutiple leave in conditioners, like creme of nature lemongrass and rosemary. and ORS olive oil moisturizing lotion, and doo gro hair and scalp oil.

Do these count as proper moisturizers?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
is doo gro a grease? when you add oils are they all natural oils and do you add them to wet hair? do you leave them in? when you add the moisturizing lotion are you using enough? do you deep condition?

Irresistible

I actually learned recently that some oils do moisturize. Namely coconut oil, and to an extent olive oil :yep:. Check this out: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=152473

OP: Are you deep conditioning? I found that until I actually began to deep condition my hair, I had a lot of trouble retaining moisture.

yeah I found out after going round and round with someone the correct way to put it is the 'properties' in the oil are moisturizing :look:

MirrorDoll

Ok, someone explain to me how oils can moisturize. In PLAIN terms because it's late and my brain isn't working :lol:

My reasoning is - no water, no moisture. How does it moisturize hair without water?

I knew that oils can penetrate the hair, but I've never thought of that as true moisture.

vestaluv1

No lye relaxers dry out the hair a lot

Keep up on your:

-Moisturising (daily)
-Sealing
-Deep conditioining

You can try these to make moisturising more effective:

-Porosity control
-Clarifying
-Baggying

needmoresleep

Thanks to everyone for your responses!

I just put the doo gro on my scalp, but I actually haven't used it for a while. This past week, I added suave humectant to the ORS and used a little of the suave as a leave in. My NG seems a lot softer. Usually it's super crunchy under there even after loading up on leave-in and sealing. I also used mango butter on my ends and they seem a little softer as well.

Regarding the no-lye relaxer should I switch to Lye? When I get my touch up a the salon, my hair is a lot softer and has more bounce to it even though I wear wash no go's.