Am I not doing rollersets correctly???

ttlayli

Okay so I decided to try out rollersets (I'm texlaxed) to help with the health and length retention of my hair. I tried Lacio Lacio for the first time yesterday and I did like it, made me hair feel soooo soft, but today it just feels a lil heavy, but's that's okay! :yep: I will just not use as much next time. Anywhoo, after I take out the rollers, besides the fact that my roots may look crazy....the length is actually pretty in loose spirals and it's frizz-free....BUT as soon as I comb that mess out, POOF!!! It looks like I blowdryed it...all HUGE and PUFFY!!! :wallbash: I only blowout and then flat-iron my roots out, but the length is still super puffy. Am I missing a key step here??? I thought that if the hair dryed into silky spiral curls that if it's straight it should also be silky....but that's not the case for me. :sad: Advice???

Maybe your hair was not thoroughly dry when you took the rollers out. Until next time you could try macherieamour's technique for blow drying the roots and saran wrap to smooth out the length.

Maybe your hair was not thoroughly dry when you took the rollers out. Until next time you could try macherieamour's technique for blow drying the roots and saran wrap to smooth out the length.

Hmmmm....I've thought about that....I sit under a dryer for about an hr and a half....then I just keep the rollers in my hair for like another hr....I figured it would be dry....and it doesnt feel wet...:perplexed. But I do use her method to blowdry the roots....it's just the length is still all big and puffy....

i had the same problem

for the roots- make sure you're rolling UP
and
for the length- make sure the hair is straight and there is no wave in it when you're placing it on the roller. in short, you should have some tension on the hair when it's rolled. if it's wavy at all on the roller you're going to come out with frizz.

hth

i had the same problem

for the roots- make sure you're rolling UP
and
for the length- make sure the hair is straight and there is no wave in it when you're placing it on the roller. in short, you should have some tension on the hair when it's rolled. if it's wavy at all on the roller you're going to come out with frizz.

hth

I do all of the above....if I wanted to wear my hair with the curls, it would look GOOD, but it doesnt look frizzy until after I comb the curls out to straighten it....:ohwell:

I have the same kind of problem so I am giving this a bump for more input. Also I have been using a tiny bit of universal styling creme (Aveda) for smoothing and add a layer of the anti humectant. For after the rollers come out. Its been helping with the poof factor. Also if that is going to be too heavy for your hair-some ladies are using the potion 9 from sebastian and Activate line (straightning creme, serum) with good success.
More ladies will hopefully chime in. Its all in finding the right products for you.

I do all of the above....if I wanted to wear my hair with the curls, it would look GOOD, but it doesnt look frizzy until after I comb the curls out to straighten it....:ohwell:

hmmm- the only other thing I can think of is that perhaps you're not combing the hair out parallel to the floor before you roll it.

if you comb the hair straight out from your head and then roll it, you're going to have fluffy roots. but if you comb the hair flat against the scalp, you'll have straight roots. (parallel to the floor for the crown of the head forward to hairline, and straight down from the crown to nape)

other than that maybe its your dryer. a pibbs makes a difference.

hmmm- the only other thing I can think of is that perhaps you're not combing the hair out parallel to the floor before you roll it.

if you comb the hair straight out from your head and then roll it, you're going to have fluffy roots. but if you comb the hair flat against the scalp, you'll have straight roots. (parallel to the floor for the crown of the head forward to hairline, and straight down from the crown to nape)

other than that maybe its your dryer. a pibbs makes a difference.

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing at this point....

Or maybe you aren't sitting under your dryer long enough. 1.5 hours may not be long enough for your hair. Your hair must be completely dry. When you remove a roller, you can see whether or not it's bouncy and curly or if it just has a curl and hangs there (or no curl at all).
I airdry my rollersets overnight and make sure I start early enough the previous day so it's completely dry. And I don't comb my rollersets out. :)

Combing out a rollerset is best if you are going to wrap it (as Macherieamour does).

maybe your hair wasn't wet enough when you rolled it. I don't get great rollersets (whether it's with my Pibbs or something else) unless my hair is dripping when when I roll it up. After that it doesn't matter how many weeks post I am, as long as I let it dry thoroughly (even if it's an air dry) I'll have silky hair.

One of my fav rollerset pics was taken when I was 10 weeks post. I loved the way it looked when I took out the rollers so much that I didn't comb the curls out, I just massaged my roots with my fingers a bit so you couldn't see where I separated the hair at my scalp.

Back