Am I not supposed to moisturise before flat ironing?

BonBon

I need help!. I see a lot of people saying all they need when blowing and flat ironing is the Sabino/chi infusion, heat protectant and zero moisturiser:perplexed

This is how I have been doing it and my hair feels dry after. I tried Sabino for the first time and my hair was like a desert when I finished and was breaking when I touched it. Chi and Aphogee Green Tea don't leave it as bad as that so perhaps its the Sabino?
When in an afro my hair is strong, soft and fine but when I flat iron like this it just doesn't feel good, and swang just ain't happening:nono: am I missing out a step?

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I agree with the poster above. If you put moisturizer in it before flat-ironing it may not hold a curl/bend and it could weigh it down. I don't know about Sabino but if it's anything like Lacio Lacio then that's what I sometimes do to mine before flat-ironing, along with the CHI Silk Infusion.

I think the type of heat protector spray can sometimes make the difference. Depending on the heat of my flat-iron I may use the CHI Silk Infusion and Lacio without heat protector spray. But if the iron is really hot I'll be sure to use the heat protector spray.

By the way, I use IC Fantasia Heat Protector spray and I love it.

HTH

yamilee21

I've only flat ironed once, so I am no expert, but I put the leave-in moisturizer first, then put Sabino Moisture Block. However, I air-dried overnight before using the flat iron. My hair only started feeling dry (as in, in need of moisturizer) on the fourth day.

Fine 4s

If you don't flat iron often and know when you'd like to flat iron, I would do several moisture treatments before heat straightening. I'd do a protein treatment (if needed) and follow with 2 weeks of intense moisture treatments....

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I don't have any real answers...I'm still kind of struggling with this myself. Sometimes, I'll flat iron and my hair will come out great, and sometimes it'll be too dry.
The times that it's come out well, I've pre-pooed, DCed with an ultra-moisturizing mixture, did a rollerset before-hand, and dried that on low heat.
Here's a thread (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=414446&highlight=) on something similar.
Many of the posters wrote about how they get their hair moist before flat-ironing. Hopefully, it'll help you. Good luck!

MizzCoco

I don't have any real answers...I'm still kind of struggling with this myself. Sometimes, I'll flat iron and my hair will come out great, and sometimes it'll be too dry.
The times that it's come out well, I've pre-pooed, DCed with an ultra-moisturizing mixture, did a rollerset before-hand, and dried that on low heat.
Here's a thread (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=414446&highlight=) on something similar.
Many of the posters wrote about how they get their hair moist before flat-ironing. Hopefully, it'll help you. Good luck!
ITA with the bolded. I've noticed that no matter what I have to rollerset before flat ironing. My hair feels dry and my ends look gross, no matter what moisturizer I used before hand

BonBon

Thanks for the tips. I use the ORS conditioner in the satchets but only for about 10 minutes, I feel blow drying kills my hair for some reason:ohwell: Might try stretching with braids and doing the next day with Chi next time.

Last edited:

200AndOne

I'm so glad you made this post - I wish I would have read it yesterday :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

I flat ironed my hair for the first time in forever yesterday and the results are very bittersweet. I like the way it looks, but not the way it feels :nono:

Just like OP mentioned, when I touch my hair, it is snap-city :wallbash:

After rinsing out my DC, I applied a little (apparently TOO LITTLE) of Pantene R&N as a leave in. Spraid w/ aphogee green tea and blow dried. Then applied IC Fantasia Heat protectant and flat ironed on medium heat (twice :look:).

I'm so mad at myself, but am seriously hoping all my progress will not be lost. I'm doing an Aphogee treatment and DC'ing TONIGHT!! I cannot take all these little broken pieces of hair :sad:

westNDNbeauty

I agree with the poster above. If you put moisturizer in it before flat-ironing it may not hold a curl/bend and it could weigh it down. I don't know about Sabino but if it's anything like Lacio Lacio then that's what I sometimes do to mine before flat-ironing, along with the CHI Silk Infusion.

I think the type of heat protector spray can sometimes make the difference. Depending on the heat of my flat-iron I may use the CHI Silk Infusion and Lacio without heat protector spray. But if the iron is really hot I'll be sure to use the heat protector spray.

By the way, I use IC Fantasia Heat Protector spray and I love it.

HTH

Make sure your hair is well moisturised by deep conditioning before flatironing.

If you don't flat iron often and know when you'd like to flat iron, I would do several moisture treatments before heat straightening. I'd do a protein treatment (if needed) and follow with 2 weeks of intense moisture treatments....

I agree with these ladies. INTENSE moisture BEFOREhand is the key! I've been flat ironing for 2 years and just recently found out about intense moisturizing from www.fotki.com/patchouli85 (look her up on youtube too) before flat ironing your hair.

Now when I flat iron, I deep condition overnight with a generous amount (I really mean ALOT!) of a moisturizing conditioner. Rinse. Detangle with Nioxin Thermal Bliss. Blow Dry straight. Flat iron with 1-2 passes over each sections. & BAM! My hair looks like Sheree's from ATL Housewives!

So basically the only thing that is applied to my hair after its been rinsed is the detangler/heat protectant.

Last edited: