another bad hair story..revive or CUT?

Innocent_Kiss

My bestfriend relaxes my hair. I use ORS relaxer. Anyhoo, everytime she relaxes my hair she covers my head from root to tip. I told her to use the applicator brush and ONLY apply to my newgrowth, but she said she forgot :catfight: Needless to say, my hair is overprocessed and what was at one time thick healthy hair is now thin straggly hair :( Does anyone have any success stories reviving overprocessed hair, or did you have to eventually cut it off?

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
I don't have an answer for you, but I just wanted to say that I'm sorry to hear about your friend not listening. Have you thought about self relaxing. I am determined to learn how to self relax and then I have no one but me to blame for mistakes.

LovetheLord

:shocked: OMG! This happened to me once before when I was a teenager, my neighbor relaxed my entire head when I was only supposed to get a touchup. :cry:

I am sorry to tell you but IMO you will have to start over, because in my case my hair just started to break off everywhere, I was loosing clumps whenever I washed it. Your hair has been overprocessed. Maybe you will get some better news from someone else, but that's my take.

I am sorry this happen to you.

prospurr4

I'm sorry this happened to you, Innocent Kiss.

In Dec. 2005, I badly overprocessed my own hair by overlapping the relaxer AND leaving it on for too long. :wallbash: I began giving myself weekly, mild protein treaments (Motions CPR) in hopes of saving my strands. Well, I'm sorry to say, that what didn't break off had to be finally cut off.:sad:

Before cutting, I would try weekly protein treatments, followed by moisturizing deep conditionings. It all depends on the severity of the damage, IMO.

Innocent_Kiss

It's not horrible, but it's thin and I have split ends. I'll just start from scratch :( Again! This is officially my third time having to start over. I guess you live and you learn. I'm definitely going to either self relax or go to a salon in the future. Because it's not in cut asap condition, I'm going to continue my ORS hair mayonnaise and egg weekly conditioning treatments, use the no heat method, and try to nurse my hair into some degree of health. Thanks!

sareca

I'm sorry this happened to you, Innocent Kiss.

In Dec. 2005, I badly overprocessed my own hair by overlapping the relaxer AND leaving it on for too long. :wallbash: I began giving myself weekly, mild protein treaments (Motions CPR) in hopes of saving my strands. Well, I'm sorry to say, that what didn't break off had to be finally cut off.:sad:

Before cutting, I would try weekly protein treatments, followed by moisturizing deep conditionings. It all depends on the severity of the damage, IMO.

My story starts differently but had the same ending.

gymfreak336

I am going to have to cosign with deep conditioning and trimming.

I personally have gotten overprocessed ends lately from relaxer un off residue. I would say that 3/4ths of my hair strand are relaxed about 85-90% straight but the ends are bone straight and breaking. I have finaly accepted that they will need to be gradually cut off. I actually cut off almost half of an inch yesterday and my hair looks alot better already. Overprocessed hair needs protein so try a weekly protein treatments to help save what ever can be saved and start trimming gradually. If you stay on top of the protein treatments and start trimming, you will be able to get rid of the damage. I have learned my lesson. I am going to protect my hair better during the relaxer process. I finally got to shoulder length but some of these ends had to go. I am going to dust them once a month to avoid the shock of cutting off 3 inches.

ravenmerlita

My experience is that eventually it all had to be cut off. However, like the other ladies said, I did a lot of conditioning and also started to do frequent regular trims. It took a year of of extra care and trims for all of the damaged/over-processed hair to be gone.

I also learned to do my own relaxers. I found that even if I overlapped a little while I was learning, I was still better off than trusting others (professional or not) who don't believe overlapping is a problem. I've stopped relaxing now, but if I go back to it, I'd still do my own.

Egyptjones

My bestfriend relaxes my hair. I use ORS relaxer. Anyhoo, everytime she relaxes my hair she covers my head from root to tip. I told her to use the applicator brush and ONLY apply to my newgrowth, but she said she forgot :catfight: Needless to say, my hair is overprocessed and what was at one time thick healthy hair is now thin straggly hair :( Does anyone have any success stories reviving overprocessed hair, or did you have to eventually cut it off?

Gurl! Is she still with the living? LAWD HAVE MERCY ON ME!!!!!!

OK, now that I am over the initial shock I recommedn using Motions CPR with heat. This will help keep the breakage under control but unfortulately, sooner or later you will have to cut off everything that is overprocessed because as long as it is on your head, you will have to baby it.

Neala21

I am sorry that happened.

If you do ever let her do it again or a salon...quick trick is to coat your hair in vaseline (only the hair that has been relaxed) and leave the new growth uncoated. Really helps in preventing overprocessing.

Your friends should listen better cuz what if this were to happen to her. she would be mad

Kacie

If you have your regi down set, I would suggest that you trim now. If your regimine needs a little work, get it set before you trim.

Alisha08

I am sooo sorry this happened to you. My story has the same beginning but different ending. I NEVER had to cut off my hair, ever when this happened. When i was in high school (before i knew about proper hair care) my mom relaxed my hair with African Pride relaxer in the box, lol, and ALWAYS went from root to tip. My hair never broke off, fell out, thinned or anything. In fact it was quite lenghthy (i won't go so far as to say long, but longer than most girls in my high school) and healthy (well overprocessing is never healthy but you get the drift). So please don't despair just yet, there is hope.

Of course i don't relax that way anymore but to this very day my mom STILL relaxes her entire head at a time and her's hasn't fallen out either to my surprise and despite my efforts to tell her to stop. I guess everyone is different.

I am sorry that happened.

If you do ever let her do it again or a salon...quick trick is to coat your hair in vaseline (only the hair that has been relaxed) and leave the new growth uncoated. Really helps in preventing overprocessing.

Your friends should listen better cuz what if this were to happen to her. she would be mad

I do this when I self-relax but I use a cheapie conditioner to coat just about everything from just below new growth to the tip. I would think vaseline would make the hair harder to part to apply relaxer but whatever works for you. Just please COAT THE HAIR IN SOMETHING. Protect those previously relaxed strands!!!

So sorry this happened to you :sad:.