Another C&G Challenge: Don't Shoot...I'm New...

NappturalWomyn

I don't anticipate anyone joining me, but I am used to going left when everyone goes right. I am starting today 9/21/08 with two stranded twists in my hair, and I will keep them in for one year, with my own hair, no extension at all.

I am doing this for three reasons.
  1. I want to see how long my hair will actually grow.
  2. I want to see if I can follow a protective care regimen.
  3. Braids made it grow as a kid, maybe twists and minimal interference will help it grow as an adult.
I see the success of others on the site, and I want to be able to give back when I am as successful. For 365 days, I will wear two strands twists, with a maximum of 5 days off for twist outs. Like the other C&G challenge I saw before, only I wasn't in on it because I am kinda new to the site.
This is my regimen.

Once a week while in twist out:
  1. Wash with CON Shampoo, diluted and just the roots. If I do it right, it will reach the rest of my hair. Rinse with TJ Nourish Spa in shower.
  2. Condition with SheScentIt Banana Brulee/Fortifying Hair Masque mixed together. Detangle at this point.
  3. Spray my hair with Infusium 23 (original) and water mixed.
  4. Take unrefined shea butter (not a lot-a little will do) and do two stranded twists on my hair. In the spring and summer to lighten things up hair wise, I will swap out for Qhemet Biologics Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm.
  5. Finish with Organix Cocount Anti Breakage Serum. Refresh as needed. Following forum advice, I no longer have split ends. I am just worried about retention of length now.
  6. Do twistout for max of 5 days, and refresh with coconut oil and water (made up a little spray to hit my scalp), finish with above serum (just a little). In a pinch, I will use Qhemet Biologics Honeybrush Tea Gel, ONLY in a pinch. I am doing my best to avoid gel, but this one is an exception.
  7. Cover at night.
  8. Repeat 1-5 every week or two weeks depending on length of stay.
I figure if I put myself out there, I will be more commited to making it work. If anyone wants to join me for like 6 months or one year, that's cool. I am using the rules from the other challenge.

Braids or twists for 6 months- max of 2 days out
Braids or twists for one year-max of 5 days out
If you want to stop, just stay you're out at 6 or 9 months or so.

As a newbie putting myself out there, I hope other newbies will join me.

I hope I am not stepping on any toes by doing this. I figured it is worth a shot.

I am sincere in this. I am staying in for one year. ((Fingers crossed)).
  • I got the CON at a local beauty supply store. I live about 15 miles from a Trader Joe's, but I was willing to use Organix Coconut Conditioner instead.
  • The conditioners I got from www.shescentit.com. Her products are great and the shipping is quick.
  • I got the AntiBreakage Serum from CVS. Walgreen's didn't have it, neither did Target, or Walmart. A little goes a long way. Let's share everyone. No one person buying up the whole stash.
  • I use organic coconut oil from a natural health food store.
  • The unrefined shea butter I got from a local beauty supply store (owned by Bajans so it worked out). I ordered a bunch of it from: www.butters-n-bars.com. I love White Tea and Ginger, so soothing without being obnoxious. I will also look into sites that sell pounds at a time for cheap, but I am a sucker for supporting upstart companies.
You can PM me if you want, or you can just post with how long you want in, and your MO. I hope to see a lot of people with me, but I am in it to win it: alone or with company...
...peace...
oh, a picture, a picture. I will put up a picture of my starting point within the week...need a memory card...

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
I have a braid apt on 3 Oct. and I planed on doing the C&G method for a year as well. So it will be 2 months in 2 months out (or maybe just one month out) but I have thin hair and need to experiment to see if I can go a shorter amount of time out of the braids before going back in. I don't want any breakage on my hair line.

anherica

I'm not a newbie, but I'll join you. I was in the other challenge for a year and loved it! So sign me up for a year. I'll be wearing mostly twists with a few rounds of braids here and there, using my own hair.

Regimen-
-Wash weekly, focusing on the scalp with twists in. Follow with squeezing conditioner through the length and ACV rinse.
-Undo and detangle twists individually every two to four weeks.
-Daily moisturizing with homemade shea butter blend. Seal with a little castor oil.

I retained alot of length doing this over the last year, so I figure if it ain't broke...not to mention I'm looking forward to being more creative with updos while in twists. I rarely wear my hair out, but I did this weekend, so here's a pic of my starting point. My hair is damp and I just released from large twists. It isn't pretty, but it's mine. lol :grin:

Attachments

• HPIM0085_498x480.jpg
    HPIM0085_498x480.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM0086_597x480.jpg
    HPIM0086_597x480.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 9

baby42

I am starting in nov so i am in until may or june wearing box braids doing my self . will rebraid when need. so i will join you this my starting point. wash once a week and deep con. use a little jbco. moisture. i dont take breaks cause i rebraid my self useing WET/WAVY HUMAN HAIR CAUSE IT EASY FOR ME TO DEEP CON WITH. I TREAT THAT HUMAN HAIR LIKES IT MINES LOL. WILL WASH THE C&G WAY.i was in braids a year last year.so half is good for me now. HAPPY GROWING EVERY ONE .

Last edited:

Forever in Bloom

I would like to join this challenge with you. I will try to go 9 months. I am striving for APL by June and BSL by December '09 :grin: I will 2 strand twist tonight after I leave work. I washed it yesterday with CON (older formula, which I love btw) and prepped it for twisting by stretching overnight. I will use my Hairveda Shea Aloe Mousse to twist. I plan on washing once a week and figuring out a way to incorporate my Ayurvedic routine into this challenge. When I figure out the particulars, I'll update. If I get bored with the twists, I will do small braids in my hair instead. Pics later...

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I wanna join! I am a newbie at twisting, but I will be a pro the more I do them! This way I'll kill the HYH challenge, twisting for growth, and this challenge at the same time!:yep: This will help me regain my focus! I'm going to try it 6 months first.

Last edited:

shynessqueen

Finally somebody started this challenge.

I'm in for the whole year.

I'll be in braids for the year. I want to be BSL in a year. Right now I'm a little below APL.

Last edited: