Another hair forum

beyondcute

Just my $0.02..... Yes some of them can be militant, just like on here. I like the site and yes its down very often. But I could do without the word changing mechanism (can we say censorship?) and the blasting of new people. But hte first time I was here I read someone get BLASTED! I felt bad for the girl. I didnt post here until months later. Every site has its beef. Yall do remember when BHM got shut down for months following some scams and ridiculing.

There is one site (that I refuse to mention cuz I dont want yall crazies to go there and ruin my chil spot :lol:) that I really like and consider my HOME. Never had any 'fights' over there and the girls that did once upon a time cause some drama were booted out. I only come here for the fre beer :lol:

sprungonhairboards

Crysdon said:
OMG! Girl, you too? The very day that I got my texturizer I had a dream that everybody on NP found out and cussed me out. I did feel like a sellout for about a week or so, then I finally shook it off.

See, that brainwashing ain't no joke. hahahahahaha

Girl it sho' ain't. They had me feeling bad for everything from wanting to see how long my hair was to using gel to slick my nappy edges down!:lol:

SparklingFlame

I was over at NP.com today looking at some of the posts in the archive on heat, right? And this poor girl asked a question about blowdrying I think and the firlst responder was like, "this question has been answered ad nauseum. Go look it up on a search. The next person gave a good answer. Then 2 or 3 more smart azzez put her on blast for asking and then there were 2 more good answers given. As much as I have been there, I've never seen rudeness like that!! Maybe I was lucky enough not to go to the insulting threads, I don't know, but I really wanted to fuss those people out somehow! :mad:

sprungonhairboards

naturallady said:
I was over at NP.com today looking at some of the posts in the archive on heat, right? And this poor girl asked a question about blowdrying I think and the firlst responder was like, "this question has been answered ad nauseum. Go look it up on a search. The next person gave a good answer. Then 2 or 3 more smart azzez put her on blast for asking and then there were 2 more good answers given. As much as I have been there, I've never seen rudeness like that!! Maybe I was lucky enough not to go to the insulting threads, I don't know, but I really wanted to fuss those people out somehow! :mad:

I dont remember it any other way:lol:

eta: All this np talk, I thought I'd indulge my nostalgia and take a peek and what do you know, I can't get in! Site issues, HA!

Last edited:

Crysdon

sprungonhairboards said:
Girl it sho' ain't. They had me feeling bad for everything from wanting to see how long my hair was to using gel to slick my nappy edges down!:lol:

Hahahahahaha. :lachen:

Gryphyn

JCoily said:
I have been lurking on NP for over a year now, but I pretty much only post in the transitioners forum. It seems to me the only suggestions transitioners get there is LOVE YOURSELF: CUT IT OFF!!! I try to give alternatives to folks who aren't ready to run around with an inch of hair.

I have mixed feelings about NP. I think Dee has done a great service in helping black women deal with their natural hair. However, there is an undercurrent of something (that I can't quite name) on that board that is uncomfortable at times.

I get very agitated when I recognize members from that board posting ideas in line with that undercurrent on LHCF. It's not hard to spot if you have spent much time over there. In turn, I don't go over there talking about MTG,
flat ironing or curl defining products, because it's not appropriate.

JCoily - I couldn't have said this better myself. I credit NP for getting me through my transition, but after I transitioned I felt kinda lost on that site. The natural hair discussion forum tends to get very political. I also find some members to be very fresh and the mods back them up whenever someone complains about their poor attitudes. It's so disappointing.

I understand and respect the rules on the site, but I honestly think the rules on NP are what contribute to the attitude on the board. With rules like that it's hard not to be contradictory and p*ss off certain members. That's probably why some members will question the rules about once a month, then other members get mad about the rules being questioned...it's a never-ending cycle :lol:

Any threads about heat, curl defining products, hair typing, altering your hair texture (twistouts, braidouts, and banding are A-OK but talking about straightening is NOT), using horse products (i.e. MTG), any type of growth aid, weave threads (but threads about twist or braid extensions are OK), and threads about gaining more hair length (threads like this will usually get a "your hair has probably reached it maximum potential" or "what's the big deal with long hair?" response:confused:) will expose you to either some very fresh replies and/or a nice little lock on your thread with a note from a mod.

Not to mention that there are naturals/transitioners who use heat to deep condition or because they don't air dry in the winter (such as myself), who use curl defining products for moisture (such as myself), who want to know which products work best for their hair type, who want to weave up their hair to try something new or to protect their hair, and who want natural and long hair. *smh* That's why the rules get questioned so often!!! :lol:

Ever since I became a member on LHCF I spend more time here and less time on NP. Eventually when it gets to be too much for me I'll just go back to lurking on that site. I doubt I'll ever stop going altogether. I just wish it was more friendly and fun. I feel like at LHCF members realize that hair is fun, and it's fun to try new things, and reach your length goals.

ETA: I'm co-signing on NP being slow-mo. I think all members should pay to post so Dee can upgrade the servers. But until then, I refuse to pay to support the site knowing that half the time I won't even be able to get on it.

@beyondcute: IA. I forgot to mention that the word filters are ridiculous.:rolleyes:

Sorry this was so long, just had to let it all out...

Last edited:

Gryphyn

Crysdon said:
OMG! Girl, you too? The very day that I got my texturizer I had a dream that everybody on NP found out and cussed me out. I did feel like a sellout for about a week or so, then I finally shook it off.

See, that brainwashing ain't no joke. hahahahahaha

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Stationwagon

There have really been some good posts in this thread. I have been natural for a few years now and have posted on both LHCF and NP. I admit that I used to follow most of the haircare tips on NP because they have been really good. I also would post on the products section a lot because I liked giving and receiving the reviews. On NP I didn't like the idea that people have the license to jump on new people because they didn't perform a search or that they asked a hair typing question. (If you are a frequent reader of NP, you remember when a young woman put up a picture of her hair and asked to have it "typed". A few members accused her of having a perm and were very mean to her..) I didn't really like that at all.

I like this board because you aren't judged for having your hair a certain way. It is very supportive and that is probably why I have posted on it more than on the other boards.

StrawberryQueen

I just read my old response in this thread and I am 100% the opposite!

What difference a yr and being 100% natural makes.

I LOVE NP, and while it is very political and militant, it's good for the cause.

NP is a soft place to fall for women with nappy hair. Dee goes to long lengths to make sure that nappies feel comfortabel in her home, so she doesn't allow the heat, curl definition, hair typing crap to go on.

Incredible1ne

I'm a member of the other board and they have great info. I just don't like that sometimes stuff is sooo nit-picked for no reasons. It's like anything is liable to be an argument and it really doesn't have to be that way. There are a lot of sarcastic/mean posters on that board though. Maybe that's why.

LynnieB

yep....sometimes site goes down but it's all good......it's usually back before you know it. i also get database problem error messages here too but they don't last for long.

i love NP (not the undercurrent mind you) but what the site stands for and what Dee attempts to do for black folk AND yes, those natural albums are mindblowing and confidence raisin'!

what most folks have to realize is that there are rules there and one sure nuff way to get a 3rd degree burn is by not following the rules (undercurrent notwithstanding). Getting a good feel for the site first before attempting to post is a real good idea.

i lurked there for a couple months before feeling comfy enough to come out of the hair loss forums (invalueable) and i don't let the -'s distract me from the many +'s.

i love it here also.

i can't imagine myself getting through my transition without NP or LHCF because each site offers its' own particular strength.

LocksOfLuV

I'm not natural, but I do lurk on that board-mainly for detangling tips for stretching and such.

The atmosphere of the board is kinda uncomfy for a 'permie' but I respect that that is the moral/foundation of the board. The board was made based off rebouding what society has said about nappy hair. It is all about loving and accepting nappy hair-not re/texlaxing, trying to get curl definition, hair typing and the rest of that. That part is all gravy to me.

But the thing that sticks out in my mind is the lowering another group to empower another-something about that reaks of insecurity to me. Like in a sense, they might not be really sure about being nappy themselves. One thing I have noticed is when a woman is confident in herself and her things she does not have to put down another. Self-esteem should not be raised from the result of trying to lower-another. It goes along the "I am not sure of this, so I am going to MAKE myself believe it and make the other side seem undesirable." Nevertheless, I am not gonna go over there and dispute their foundation or complain about it. It is their board, and the board really isn't for relaxed heads so I guess in a sense they shouldn't go out of their ways to make it comfy for us. I go in there, get the info I need, and try not to read the negativity. Once you look outside of negativity, there actually is some great information there.

Mortons

I looked at some of the threads on NP and I doubt very seriously that I would be on that site a good 24 hours without being shut down. Some of those ladies are down right nasty, and I cant help but believe that some of them have self hatred issues, under the facade that they are pro-Black only. I could just beat some of them over the head til the white meat shows.......:mad:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Kiwi said:
JCoily - I couldn't have said this better myself. I credit NP for getting me through my transition, but after I transitioned I felt kinda lost on that site. The natural hair discussion forum tends to get very political. I also find some members to be very fresh and the mods back them up whenever someone complains about their poor attitudes. It's so disappointing.

I understand and respect the rules on the site, but I honestly think the rules on NP are what contribute to the attitude on the board. With rules like that it's hard not to be contradictory and p*ss off certain members. That's probably why some members will question the rules about once a month, then other members get mad about the rules being questioned...it's a never-ending cycle :lol:

Any threads about heat, curl defining products, hair typing, altering your hair texture (twistouts, braidouts, and banding are A-OK but talking about straightening is NOT), using horse products (i.e. MTG), any type of growth aid, weave threads (but threads about twist or braid extensions are OK), and threads about gaining more hair length (threads like this will usually get a "your hair has probably reached it maximum potential" or "what's the big deal with long hair?" response:confused:) will expose you to either some very fresh replies and/or a nice little lock on your thread with a note from a mod.

Not to mention that there are naturals/transitioners who use heat to deep condition or because they don't air dry in the winter (such as myself), who use curl defining products for moisture (such as myself), who want to know which products work best for their hair type, who want to weave up their hair to try something new or to protect their hair, and who want natural and long hair. *smh* That's why the rules get questioned so often!!! :lol:

Ever since I became a member on LHCF I spend more time here and less time on NP. Eventually when it gets to be too much for me I'll just go back to lurking on that site. I doubt I'll ever stop going altogether. I just wish it was more friendly and fun. I feel like at LHCF members realize that hair is fun, and it's fun to try new things, and reach your length goals.

ETA: I'm co-signing on NP being slow-mo. I think all members should pay to post so Dee can upgrade the servers. But until then, I refuse to pay to support the site knowing that half the time I won't even be able to get on it.

@beyondcute: IA. I forgot to mention that the word filters are ridiculous.:rolleyes:

Sorry this was so long, just had to let it all out...

I agree with this post, NP was the first hair board I joined because I was thinking of going back natural (I learned the word transitioning over there). I really credit the site with helping me embracing my natural hair.

That being said, while I understand and respect the mission on the site, I think that some members take some things way too seriously and I often find a lot of stuff contradictory. I'll probably post on the board regularly, but probably only in the product and beauty forums.

StrawberryQueen

LocksOfLuV said:
I'm not natural, but I do lurk on that board-mainly for detangling tips for stretching and such.

The atmosphere of the board is kinda uncomfy for a 'permie' but I respect that that is the moral/foundation of the board. The board was made based off rebouding what society has said about nappy hair. It is all about loving and accepting nappy hair-not re/texlaxing, trying to get curl definition, hair typing and the rest of that. That part is all gravy to me.

But the thing that sticks out in my mind is the lowering another group to empower another-something about that reaks of insecurity to me. Like in a sense, they might not be really sure about being nappy themselves. One thing I have noticed is when a woman is confident in herself and her things she does not have to put down another. Self-esteem should not be raised from the result of trying to lower-another. It goes along the "I am not sure of this, so I am going to MAKE myself believe it and make the other side seem undesirable." Nevertheless, I am not gonna go over there and dispute their foundation or complain about it. It is their board, and the board really isn't for relaxed heads so I guess in a sense they shouldn't go out of their ways to make it comfy for us. I go in there, get the info I need, and try not to read the negativity. Once you look outside of negativity, there actually is some great information there.
Whoa now-thats kinda deep there.

Hmmmmmm....hmmmm.

Jaizee

I love the product board there. I don't go to the hairboard much anymore, since it's the same type of posts most of the time. IMO, they have the best product board around.

brittanynic16

I love that site. I admit natural ladies here helped me decide to go natural but, NP got me over the hump. I really appreciate all of their rules. There are millions of other web sites to talk about all that other stuff but, NP is the only place that will beat it into your head that you have the best stuff out there. :) I appreciate it. There are problems but, nothing is perfect. I eventually fell off of both boards and spent more time enjoying my hair in the real world, which I where I really learned to love my hair and accept all hair types and hair decision. Now, I enjoy them both for different reasons, and I wouldn't change either.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I love that site and I learned a ton there (that's where I found my beloved Oyin and Qhemet:)) but I got a real dis-taste for it a while back when there was this huge argument about who should be on the site and who shouldn't. A lot of the veterans were saying that when the site started it was intended for 4b texture naturals only and anyone that has some type of curl shouldn't be there. I thought that was so weird to say, I mean I just figured the site was for anyone w/ natural hair....no certain texture. I kinda drifted away from there after that. I was really hurt by it though because I liked it there.

LynnieB

Pokahontas said:
I love that site and I learned a ton there (that's where I found my beloved Oyin and Qhemet:)) but I got a real dis-taste for it a while back when there was this huge argument about who should be on the site and who shouldn't. A lot of the veterans were saying that when the site started it was intended for 4b texture naturals only and anyone that has some type of curl shouldn't be there. I thought that was so weird to say, I mean I just figured the site was for anyone w/ natural hair....no certain texture. I kinda drifted away from there after that. I was really hurt by it though because I liked it there.
this was spoken about recently.

i hold LHCF and NP in the highest regard, each for a specific reason.

i do want to share with you a quote from Dee herself regarding the inclusive/exclusiveness issues....(i am doing this without permission and am willing to take my lumps for it but i just feel, in my heart, that it's the right thing to do at this particular time).

please read:

We are not going to start saying that Nappturality is here MORE for specific "grades" of nappy hair than others. I don't even like saying "grades" because it implies one is better than the other. If you say you're nappy, you're nappy. And you know what nappy is. You can see hair examples in albums, you can ask for advice based on your hair's characteristics. You can have curls, coils, or none of the above and it doesn't make you any more or less worthy to be here.

so please ......although the site is extremely pro-natural hair, it is not this horrible place located in the 7th circle of Dante's Inferno :p. it's very existence is not for growing long hair or even just growing long healthy natural hair. it's about true hair acceptance - a very deep issue that is a reality for daughters of the diaspora. and, i'm not saying that every single person has had to deal with these issues cause i'm not, just many folks do or have and continue to deal with it every single day.

it's different site, it's coming from a completely different angle than LHCF and just like we all fail to agree on everything here, folks fail to agree on everything there. i would and could not judge an entire site only on the actions of the handful of folks who refuse to get along and hope any new transitioners, naturals, newly naturals or to those struggling with the decision to go natural or not, to please give it a chance.

there's so much more to NP (like there is here) - take a sec and register and fully explore the richness of the site and it's members.

mods.....if my post is going "too far" or deemed inappropriate, i apologize. i mean ab-so-lute-ly NO disrespect to LHCF whatsoever - i luv it here :).

JustKiya

I started out at NP, but honestly, I don't go there anymore except to occasionally look at the style section - for two main reasons.

1) I'm blessed enough to not give a shiny damn about what OTHER people think about my nappy hair, so I don't need any 'support' in knowing that the hair that comes out of my head is gorgeous - my mirror tells me that every mornings. So - when most of the threads are about someone 'standing up' for their hair, or 'reporting' that some fools over on some childish site are talking about someones natural hair, or laying the smack down on some sista for admiring someone elses hair *rolls eyes* I don't have the time to waste on drama like that.

2) The almost rabid reaction there is ANY time someone talks about growing their hair long - like you must have lost your everloving MIND if you even consider that just maybe, your hair CAN get longer than your shoulders. I don't have time - or energy - to try to educate folx out of their negativity - and I think it's downright sad that folx who are supposed to be all about loving natural hair are still holding onto the idea that it can't/won't grow for dear life. *rolls eyes* Have they ever LOOKED at some Nigerians? Jamaicans? Haitans? Ethiopians?

Anyhow. NP certainly has a place in some folx hair journeys.....

sugarose

Pokahontas said:

Same reason why I stopped lurking.

Lusa

sprungonhairboards said:
I still stand by what I posted a year ago :lol:

But as far as site issues go, I think LHCF has caught up with NP.

I think the site issues go hand in hand with the number of users. LHCF has grown significantly and capacity is being pushed.

I stopped lurking at NP long ago for the same reasons other women have mentioned; there's a wealth of information but the atmosphere doesn't complement that which is sad. But oh well, it aint for everyone.

camellia

Pokahontas said:

I stopped lurking for the very same reason.