Anti Humidity Products: Is There Really Anything That Works?

Nazaneen

Now that the rain is upon us or me anyway lol and the heat will be soon my hair becomes more of a stress. All winter I didn't have to think about hair poofing from humid air and frizzy edges from sweat.
Is there really any way of sealing humidity out. I tried an Aveda anti humidity pomade but I do not recall it working.
Does Sabino Moisture Block work? Are there similar products? I'm ready to try something soon but I want some rec's first. Maybe I'll try nothing because maybe nothing works :lol:.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Three things that help/work for us:

1. Aveda AntiHumectant Pomade (which you said didn't work for you)
2. Sabino Moisture Block (we're still using bottles of the original formula)
3. Aveda Smooth Infusion Naturally Straight (I have to straighten DD with this once spring/summer hit, keeps her straighter/frizz free longer than SMB)

Nazaneen

Three things that help/work for us:

1. Aveda AntiHumectant Pomade (which you said didn't work for you)
2. Sabino Moisture Block (we're still using bottles of the original formula)
3. Aveda Smooth Infusion Naturally Straight (I have to straighten DD with this once spring/summer hit, keeps her straighter/frizz free longer than SMB)

Thanks for the rec's. I think I'll buy the Sabino and the Aveda Naturally Straight.

As far as the Sabino, how are you using it? Is it used post flat iron or pre flat iron? How heavily is it applied?
Same ?'s for the Aveda...

ag00

Does Sabino Moisture Block work? Are there similar products? I'm ready to try something soon but I want some rec's first. Maybe I'll try nothing because maybe nothing works :lol:.

Lol. Yes, old school methods work very effectively. Any generic grease, crisco, or pressing oil are anti-humidity and block out moisture. I use blue magic and my hair doesn't revert unless water directly touches it. My hair is blow dried 90% of the time and I have zero problems.

Joico also has a product called KPak Smoothing Balm. Got 5 stars on Amazon. I haven't used it yet but I'm dying to try it. It's a leave-in heat protectant that is anti-humidity/anti-frizz and one of the reviewers gave it 5 stars saying it kept their hair straight through Miami summer weather.

Last edited:

Nazaneen

Lol. Yes, old school methods work very effectively. Any generic grease, crisco, or pressing oil are anti-humidity and block out moisture. I use blue magic and my hair doesn't revert unless water directly touches it. My hair is blow dried 90% of the time and I have zero problems.

Joico also has a product called KPak Smoothing Balm. Got 5 stars on Amazon. I haven't used it yet but I'm dying to try it. It's a leave-in heat protectant that is anti-humidity/anti-frizz and one of the reviewers gave it 5 stars saying it kept their hair straight through Miami summer weather.

Okay so now its the Sabino and the Joico
I'll skip the Aveda :lol:

I guess I'll try these and report back at some point :lol:
Wow the reviews on the Joico are pretty good. I trust and use Joico products so I will be trying that.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Thanks for the rec's. I think I'll buy the Sabino and the Aveda Naturally Straight.

As far as the Sabino, how are you using it? Is it used post flat iron or pre flat iron? How heavily is it applied?
Same ?'s for the Aveda...
I don't blow dry, so I apply the tiniest bit to each section as I flat iron. Prettymetty is right, it IS heavy. Sometimes I get the amount just right and DD's hair has swing, other times it comes out really heavy. It really lasts like that though, so it's good for when she needs to slick her hair. Maybe I'll try it before air drying like Prettymetty and see how that goes.

I use more of the Aveda than suggested. I apply about a nickel size dollop to each of the roughly eight sections then braid and let her air dry. Then when I flat iron I'll use a little spray heat protectant for added safety.

After I run out of the products I'm using now (Living Proof No Frizz Straight Making Styling Cream plus Sabino) I'm going to the Aveda Naturally Straight exclusively.

nymane

I used to use it years ago. I'm not sure I like how it made my hair feel. Do u find your hair harder after use?

I co-wash the Emergencee out really well (about 2x) after rinsing it out thoroughly with water. Then I follow-up with a moisturizing DC and the results are always sealed/smooth cuticles and soft hair with "structure."

Nazaneen

I second Aveda Smooth Infusion Naturally Straight. It's works better than Sabino by a long shot and it isn't heavy. Also get a sample of the Aveda Smooth Infusion Conditioning masque. Awesome products.
how do you use the Aveda? How much do you use and do you apply to sections or all over?

Dove56

how do you use the Aveda? How much do you use and do you apply to sections or all over?

I divide my hair in about 4 sections and apply from root to tips in damp hair. I usually sit under the dryer for about 15 minutes then blow dry and use my Instyler. It helps your hair dry faster. For the smoothest results definitely use the masque first. Both products together work best.

sgold04

Design essentials strengthening treatment (I think that's the name), worked wonders for me! I was outside in the rain (under an umbrella and my hair was still straight). I have hi-po hair too. I had it done professionally.

Nazaneen

I used the aveda naturally straight on hair that i dont plan to straighten, used it with gel and im very pleased. it worked some kind of magic. my hair is lying down and not frizzing. this may be amazing before a straightening.
My hair is relaxed 3b but it does not look relaxed . i still have a strong curl pattern . I don't get it. Relaxing changes my hair in some way but it sure doesn't take my curl out.

does my hair look relaxed, like at all??? LOLOL this is not texlaxed, this is my RELAXED hair :rofl:

Last edited:

Nazaneen

As a matter of fact. I think my hair is more curly with a relaxer than it was when I had more severe heat damage, go figure.

gemruby41

Coconut oil works for me. Someone on YouTube mentioned using it for humidity. Before leaving the house, I rub some on my hair.

junipertree

I used the aveda naturally straight on hair that i dont plan to straighten, used it with gel and im very pleased. it worked some kind of magic. my hair is lying down and not frizzing. this may be amazing before a straightening.
My hair is relaxed 3b but it does not look relaxed . i still have a strong curl pattern . I don't get it. Relaxing changes my hair in some way but it sure doesn't take my curl out.

does my hair look relaxed, like at all??? LOLOL this is not texlaxed, this is my RELAXED hair :rofl:

This is my hair. Relaxers did nothing for me in terms of straightening. I still had curls. I understand what you mean when you say it changes your hair in "some way" - I just don't know how to describe what it changes but it is definitely not the curl. That's why I just stopped relaxing all together a few years ago. I still battle frizz. I loved the Carol's Daughter Cupuacu but I'm going to try the Aveda products as well.

virtuenow

I'm testing out Aveda Brilliant Humectant and Anti Humectant this week. Should be interesting. Plus they smell so good and herbally :yep: :)

virtuenow

I live in Florida. Nothing works for me when it comes to blocking humidity. I'm so frustrated that I'm ready to give up on straightening my hair at all.
So what did you do when you got your hair straightened before? It always looked fabulous in your two-tone flat iron pics. How long did it usually last? What is your nationality/ethnicity if you don't mind my asking? I thought you were Jamaican or Hatian (right?).

caribeandiva

Human being
So what did you do when you got your hair straightened before? It always looked fabulous in your two-tone flat iron pics. How long did it usually last? What is your nationality/ethnicity if you don't mind my asking? I thought you were Jamaican or Hatian (right?).
@virtuenow I am Haitian. :yep: The only way I can get my hair to stay straight is to go to the salon. That's what I did when it was colored.