Any 4b's Stretch Longer Than 8 Weeks?

LocksOfLuV said:
You spoke the truth right here!! I have some silicon mix on the way-do you consider is detangling?

Silicon Mix was VERY detangling for me when the 4b NG got serious. Someone else suggested using it when stretching and it worked. It's not that expensive either.

This is all really good tips. I stretched for the first time to 9 weeks and this was not easy for me. I am aiming for longer this time around because my hair has definitely gotten thicker. You ladies are the best.

When I try to fight my hair and stretch past 8 wks. it turns into a straight-up dogfight trying to battle my hair!!!!!

i can go 10 weeks without really noticing...then all of a sudden...it's a jungle in there! it gets to be a mess and i really start shedding. i've gone about 16 weeks before, but 10 is my average. silicon mix is very detangling, but i've also tried the nacidit and i like it better. hmmm, maybe i'll mix them together...:yep:

i am 4b and what has helped was going to the salon every week. washing and deep conditioning weekly definitely helps. i realized i can minimize the beakage as long as i wash weekly, moisturize which is very important and use a big tooth comb. now my only problem is making my hair look decent while stretching. im 11 weeks now and you can even see the part in my hair. i think i will get a relaxer tomorrow.

locabouthair said:
i am 4b and what has helped was going to the salon every week. washing and deep conditioning weekly definitely helps. i realized i can minimize the beakage as long as i wash weekly, moisturize which is very important and use a big tooth comb. now my only problem is making my hair look decent while stretching. im 11 weeks now and you can even see the part in my hair. i think i will get a relaxer tomorrow.

Don't feel bad, I'm throwing in the towel at week 9. I usually can go 12 weeks but I am shedding and seeing some breakage. This ng is a different kind. I deep condition and keep my ng mositurized but its getting tangled and every time I comb it I can hear my hair popping and snapping... a mess! I'll see if I can hold out till April after this touchup...

dstdiva said:
i can go 10 weeks without really noticing...then all of a sudden...it's a jungle in there! it gets to be a mess and i really start shedding. i've gone about 16 weeks before, but 10 is my average. silicon mix is very detangling, but i've also tried the nacidit and i like it better. hmmm, maybe i'll mix them together...:yep:

I've been hearing goood things about that nacidit!

MissVee said:
Don't feel bad, I'm throwing in the towel at week 9. I usually can go 12 weeks but I am shedding and seeing some breakage. This ng is a different kind. I deep condition and keep my ng mositurized but its getting tangled and every time I comb it I can hear my hair popping and snapping... a mess! I'll see if I can hold out till April after this touchup...

I don't comb my new growth just the hair.
The only time I touch my new growth is if I'm parting my hair.

after the 12th week things start getting complicated. i try to put my hair in a style for the week and leave it there. little to no manipulation works best for me.

As for detangling... Don't just focus on the ends, watch for tangled and matted roots too... Remember, that's where your 4b hair is growing from, and as it is growing it is twisting around itself. Watch the roots especially if you have had breakage from ng, because the newly shortened strands at the roots are getting tangled and twisted (b/c of the tight curl pattern) around the longer ones.

What I usually do past 11 weeks post is set aside LOTS of time - like while watching a 1 hour show - and I will gently pick through my roots with my fingers and find the tiny tangles and mats, and I will gently and slowly release them with my fingers (both hands). I also keep detangling spray and EQP Mango butter on hand to soften up a bad tangle.

One time I found one that was like a DREDLOCK! I spent like 20 minutes and picked that baby apart like it was surgery - most people would have just cut it out... But NO WAY was I loosing even the smallest peice of hair! Had I not known about it, left it there, and put in my relaxer, that WHOLE piece would have come out!

Last edited:
I just began cowashing 3-4 times a week from the advice in this thread and it has helped me TREMENDOUSLY! I no longer feel like I'm going to be extremely scared to get my relaxer because of matted roots! They are tangle-free from cowashing! I will never turn my back on daily cowashing again!:D

Wishin4BSL said:
I just began cowashing 3-4 times a week from the advice in this thread and it has helped me TREMENDOUSLY! I no longer feel like I'm going to be extremely scared to get my relaxer because of matted roots! They are tangle-free from cowashing! I will never turn my back on daily cowashing again!:D

I just started too! :) And it helps SO MUCH with dryness, thickness, and increasing elasticity... But unfortunately I STILL get those tangled matted roots even with detangling shampoos/cond, (I suspect it is from the fine, web-like texture of some of the strands) and have to sit there picking them apart! Sometimes it makes me discouraged about stretching :( ...

But then I just look in a few inspiration albums - and I'm good! :grin:

I've stretched for 9 weeks prior to getting a perm this week. My goal is 12 weeks next time around. Stretching works, but you need to know how long you can go before you do damage. For me, 12 weeks is probably the limit. I could probably do longer with braids. However I believe moisturizing the ends, using a good shampoo and detangling conditoner is key! I virtually use no heat and I take a hair vitamin and this has helped me tremendously and my hair seems healthier as a result.

NoNapNique said:
I just started too! :) And it helps SO MUCH with dryness, thickness, and increasing elasticity... But unfortunately I STILL get those tangled matted roots even with detangling shampoos/cond, (I suspect it is from the fine, web-like texture of some of the strands) and have to sit there picking them apart! Sometimes it makes me discouraged about stretching :( ...

But then I just look in a few inspiration albums - and I'm good! :grin:

Hmmm...Maybe it's the conditioner you use? I use Garneir Fructis Length and Strength for cowashes and ORS pak (Sunsilk multi-sympton mask after for slip) for deep conditioning twice a week. I also coat my hair in NTM leave-in and Kemi Oyl before detangling. How about you?

Wishin4BSL said:
Hmmm...Maybe it's the conditioner you use? I use Garneir Fructis Length and Strength for cowashes and ORS pak (Sunsilk multi-sympton mask after for slip) for deep conditioning twice a week. I also coat my hair in NTM leave-in and Kemi Oyl before detangling. How about you?

I have both conditioners in my arsenal (just used L&S the other day)... PLUS Aussie Moist which is popular for detangling. I don't have the NTM leave in yet... But I use Star Lacio Lacio which is popular for it's slip/detangling as well... And I use all KINDS of EOs... So I dunno, maybe it's my hair telling me not to stretch so long.:confused:

ETA: I am on week 14 right now.

janeemat said:
I'm 4b and so far I've only stretch 9 wks. I used tons of moisturizing cons and leave ins. I have to press my newgrowth with my T3 ceramic iron for nice shiney results starting around 6wks post. I plan to try for 12 wks during this hide your challenge. Babygurl are you 4b? Sure doesn't look like it.

Im not a straight 4b...Im 4a with a very tightly coiled 4b crown.

Wishin4BSL said:

WOW. You co-wash everyday? How do you wear your hair?

Back