I can't Stretch longer than 8 weeks!!

msjones

So everything was going fine, until this week (9th week). My hair is breaking off like crazy...and my scalp actually hurts (I haven't been combing, so I dont understand this). This is my first time stretching so 8 weeks is good (i used to do it every 4 weeks before joining LHCF!:nono:). Maybe I'll just relax this weekend and try to stretch longer the next time. Has a gradual stretch been easier for you guys? Or is just going from about 4 weeks to like 3 months doable?:spinning:

Tiffchelle22

It is probably best to do gradual stretching. Going from a 1 month to 3 month stretch is kinda drastic, IMHO. I've read on here that the best way is to gradually increase your stretch by one week every time you relax.

Also, on the relaxer stretching support group thread, there is a good deal of information on products and techniques to help you through the stretch so that you minimize breakage.

Just take it one step at a time, and I'm sure you will find it gets easier with time and patience.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Well atleast you made it to wk 9 this time around. Try adding an additional wk each stretch that way you can baby step your way into stretching. You may also need to look into other ways of styling your hair or different Dcners when you get further into your stretch. You would be amazed at what certain DC can do to 10 wks + NG, what are some of the products you use during your stretch?

I know that Silicone Mix, Praital (purple on) and Alopecil Apratendora makes my NG react like my already relaxed ends, so when I get 10wks + in my stretches I only one of the three.

Treasure2k6

Co signing on the gradual stretches. I am also at the stage where I am taking it 1 extra week at a time. My hair seems to break like WHOA at about 9-10 weeks. I know alot of us are new at stretching to greater time frames. I can see how it is easier on the hair to slowly get used to stretching by doing it an extra week at a time vs from weeks to months.

msjones

Well atleast you made it to wk 9 this time around. Try adding an additional wk each stretch that way you can baby step your way into stretching. You may also need to look into other ways of styling your hair or different Dcners when you get further into your stretch. You would be amazed at what certain DC can do to 10 wks + NG, what are some of the products you use during your stretch?

I know that Silicone Mix, Praital (purple on) and Alopecil Apratendora makes my NG react like my already relaxed ends, so when I get 10wks + in my stretches I only one of the three.

I've been using Mizani Moisturfuse and Botanifying Shampoo to wash/DC with Jojoba and EVOO as a pre-poo. Along with a serum, a leave-in and avocado butter to seal. This works for about 2 days until my NG seems like a jungle and won't do anything! I also have Mizani Thermasmooth, but I'm on a heat-styling strike and my hair seems thicker and healthier. This product will not straighten w/o blow drying & flat ironing (I tried!:nono:). I haven't been combing/brushing either. I've just been moisturizing and throwing my hair up into my banana clip, but since my NG is SO thick, it hurts my head even when I have it on loosely.

beana

gradual stretching is best.... Stretches aren't beneficial if your hair suffers uncontrollable breakage when you attempt to stretch. Remember you want to do positive things for you hair, if a certain popular technique on the board doesnt work for you, please dont feel obligated to "making it work"... that being said i do believe you can extend you stretch a week or two at a time and learn how to get further and further with each try.. For me, anything past 12 weeks puts me in the danger zone.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Sounds like it maybe time to venture out and find a DC that will help soften and loosen that NG up a bit so that it is easier to comb and style or try other styling options like braidouts, updo's, and etc. The stretchers support thread may have some styling and product reviews to help get through stretches so check that one out too.
I've been using Mizani Moisturfuse and Botanifying Shampoo to wash/DC with Jojoba and EVOO as a pre-poo. Along with a serum, a leave-in and avocado butter to seal. This works for about 2 days until my NG seems like a jungle and won't do anything! I also have Mizani Thermasmooth, but I'm on a heat-styling strike and my hair seems thicker and healthier. This product will not straighten w/o blow drying & flat ironing (I tried!:nono:). I haven't been combing/brushing either. I've just been moisturizing and throwing my hair up into my banana clip, but since my NG is SO thick, it hurts my head even when I have it on loosely.

Cayenne0622

Take your time stretching. I used to relax every 6 weeks and now I'm only up to 8 weeks. I plan to stay at 8 weeks until I see less breakage and shedding while stretching. I'll eventually bump up to 9 hopefully and maybe then to 10. If not, I'll accept 8 weeks as my cutoff....anything is better than 4-6 weeks that I used to do.

ShiShiPooPoo

I found this out the hard way as well. It got to the point where I was pushing myself NOT to relax before 16 weeks. I got to 16 weeks but my hair was breaking at the demarcation line. If I had gone another week my hair wouldv'e been jacked up. Next time I'll do 12 instead and work up gradually.

Oh, and Silicon Mix is awesome for stretching!

It is probably best to do gradual stretching. Going from a 1 month to 3 month stretch is kinda drastic, IMHO. I've read on here that the best way is to gradually increase your stretch by one week every time you relax.

Also, on the relaxer stretching support group thread, there is a good deal of information on products and techniques to help you through the stretch so that you minimize breakage.

Just take it one step at a time, and I'm sure you will find it gets easier with time and patience.

I definitely agree with gradually increasing maybe like 1-2 weeks at a time. Before LHCF, I used to touch-up every 6 weeks religiously. My last relaxer stretch was 7 weeks-not much I know but next time I'm gonna go 8-9 weeks no longer. I really don't want to shock my hair with a 12 week stretch. That would be too much. I KNOW I would have breakage and I just don't want to have to deal with the potential setback. Take it Slow! HHG

Soliel185

I have really thick dense hair and when my NG starts to pile up my scalp hurts as well. I never understood what caused it till I started reading about it happening to others...So far I'm 9wks post and I plan to go 18 -- it's shedding alittle more, but nothing drastic. Plus I know the longer I wait the more amazing the pay off will be. :grin:

janeemat

Just as the other ladies have said, adding a week at the time is the best way to stretch. I onced relaxed 5-6 wks and now I can go 14 wks. I am 10 wks now and plan to relax at 13 wks to go on vacation. I have discovered that I need different products once I get a lot of ng. So far this stretch the Aveda DR has been working nicely. Tomorrow I plan to use some Dom products for my Wed wash. Last time I stretched around the 12wk mark was a little rough.

MochaSilk

Just as the other ladies have said, adding a week at the time is the best way to stretch. I onced relaxed 5-6 wks and now I can go 14 wks. I am 10 wks now and plan to relax at 13 wks to go on vacation. I have discovered that I need different products once I get a lot of ng. So far this stretch the Aveda DR has been working nicely. Tomorrow I plan to use some Dom products for my Wed wash. Last time I stretched around the 12wk mark was a little rough.

That's also what I found. That was the way to go for me.

This Saturday marks my first 12-week stretch. My hair breaks a little at week 2, no matter how careful I am about overlapping. I do a protein treatment and all is well. When I first started stretching, my hair would start breaking a little at 6 weeks. I added mayonnaise (protein) to my pre-poo. My hair DID NOT like it at 6 weeks, it broke worse! I had to find something fast.

I soaked my hair in Amla oil for about 6 hours. The breakage completely stopped and my new growth was soft! It was still a little challenging to detangle and I made it to nine weeks. This stretch, I've done weekly Amla soaks starting at 6 weeks and I haven't had any breakage.

After my relaxer in May, I bought Vatika oil. I read that it releases the tightness of curls among other wonderful things. I have been incredibly busy over the last month and didn't realize I went past 10 weeks. I decided to see if I can go to 12!

While I have LOTS of thick NG, the texture isn't as angry, my scalp isn't sore, and I can detangle with my fingers before combing it. I'm not sure if it's the weekly Amla soaks or that and the Vatika oil. No matter, though, I'm gonna keep doing it!

I fully agree about stretching gradually. Before LHCF, I relaxed at 5-6 weeks. I first stretched to 7, then 8, then 9... I had a goal of stretching to 12 by this fall, but since I have the NG under control, I decided to go for it now. I was ready to end it at any moment if I felt I was about to do more harm than good.

I think 12 will be my max, though.

Last edited:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
I was one of the few that went the drastic route and went from relaxing every 6-8 weeks to 12 weeks :grin: It was a bit rough at first, but my hair has thanked me by being much thicker and healthy. What I feel has helped me to stretch was weekly DCs, using queen helene placenta shampoo with panthenol, Joiko K-Pak reconstructer, and clarifying when needed to make sure the moisturizing elements get into my hair since a lot of the hair products I use have cones in them. Emu and olive oil also helps to keep my hair soft during my stretch.

However, I do believe that it's best to gradually stretch so it won't be such a shock to how you're used to your hair behaving. I learned a lot about how my hair acts without the aid of chemicals to keep it tame! LOL I also had sessions where I thought all my hair was falling out cause it was breaking so much. At least you made it to 9 weeks and coming from relaxing every 4 weeks, that in itself is a great improvement. HTH

janeemat

I think from now own after this stretch I will stick to 12wks as well, I think. It does seem to get easier as you go on. I used to have to flat iron my roots/ng, but now I just rollerset and finger comb. Wear it down one day and pull it back.

msjones

Thanks for all the advice, ladies! I think I'm going to relax this week, and then stretch to 10 weeks, and then 11, etc.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
WOW!! I am at 5 1/2 weeks and I'm not sure what to do other than make sure my NG is staying moisturized. I'm even experiencing some dreads up there! Yes, that's right! My hair is starting to lock up at the roots! :eek: Never before in my life has this happened to me. I have at least 1 and 1/4 inch of NG up there, particularly at the crown. It's going to be a challenge to stretch too much longer. I think I'mma go to that support thread to get some ideas.:perplexed

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!

This Saturday marks my first 12-week stretch. My hair breaks a little at week 2, no matter how careful I am about overlapping. I do a protein treatment and all is well. When I first started stretching, my hair would start breaking a little at 6 weeks. I added mayonnaise (protein) to my pre-poo. My hair DID NOT like it at 6 weeks, it broke worse! I had to find something fast.

I soaked my hair in Amla oil for about 6 hours. The breakage completely stopped and my new growth was soft! It was still a little challenging to detangle and I made it to nine weeks. This stretch, I've done weekly Amla soaks starting at 6 weeks and I haven't had any breakage.

After my relaxer in May, I bought Vatika oil. I read that it releases the tightness of curls among other wonderful things. I have been incredibly busy over the last month and didn't realize I went past 10 weeks. I decided to see if I can go to 12!

While I have LOTS of thick NG, the texture isn't as angry, my scalp isn't sore, and I can detangle with my fingers before combing it. I'm not sure if it's the weekly Amla soaks or that and the Vatika oil. No matter, though, I'm gonna keep doing it!

I fully agree about stretching gradually. Before LHCF, I relaxed at 5-6 weeks. I first stretched to 7, then 8, then 9... I had a goal of stretching to 12 by this fall, but since I have the NG under control, I decided to go for it now. I was ready to end it at any moment if I felt I was about to do more harm than good.

I think I'mma try this regimen. Since I didn't get braids, I think that I can only stretch to 12 weeks this time around, and that's really pushing it. My I hear that alma, vatika and avocado butter are wonderful for softening up NG. Thanks so much for these tips! :kiss:

gymfreak336

I think I'mma try this regimen. Since I didn't get braids, I think that I can only stretch to 12 weeks this time around, and that's really pushing it. My I hear that alma, vatika and avocado butter are wonderful for softening up NG. Thanks so much for these tips! :kiss:

Alma oil is a lifesaver. It is the only thing that helps keep my newgrowth soft. I pre-poo with it for atleast an hour when I start getting alot of growth.

MochaSilk

[/b]

I think from now own after this stretch I will stick to 12wks as well, I think. It does seem to get easier as you go on. I used to have to flat iron my roots/ng, but now I just rollerset and finger comb. Wear it down one day and pull it back.
Yeah, it does get easier each time.

When I first started stretching, I had to flat iron once a week just to get it under control. I did it once this stretch to see how big my hair grew. :grin:

Serenity_Peace said:
Cool!! Hope it works! Amla & Vatika are so wonderful for the hair! I'm so tempted to try avocado butter next time, but I don't wanna fix what ain't broke! :nono:

~*~ShopAholic~*~

How often do you comb or finger comb? Most of the time those areas that are trying to lock is shed hair that has fallen but had no where to go if it wasn't' combed out, so it wraps itself around the hair.
WOW!! I am at 5 1/2 weeks and I'm not sure what to do other than make sure my NG is staying moisturized. I'm even experiencing some dreads up there! Yes, that's right! My hair is starting to lock up at the roots! :eek: Never before in my life has this happened to me. I have at least 1 and 1/4 inch of NG up there, particularly at the crown. It's going to be a challenge to stretch too much longer. I think I'mma go to that support thread to get some ideas.:perplexed

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I can'[t stretch longer than 8 weeks and I've tried! Everyone's hair is different. Not everyone can stretch for long periods of time. Eight weeks is good!

hOnii

Pay attention to your hair. You have to learn what it likes, and how long it can go without a retouch before damage results. I have finally gotten it down to the week. I put the relaxer date in my phone's calander and have figured that after week 8, my hair goes downhill, and I start to lose a lot of hair to breakage. Its even worse when the stylist is ripping through it.