Any advice? Warnings for a weave?

G

I am getting a weave next month. (Yay!) It will be the second time that I've had a weave. The first time was not a good experience at all. It tangled because I washed it with Head & Shoulders during the third week to soothe my itchy scalp. But during the 3 weeks that I had them in, I got an enormous amount of growth, I believe an inch or very close to an inch. It was amazing! That's why I want to do it again, and to also preserve my hair, and have something much longer to play in (I want it at least bra-strap length).

Anyways, I have found a really great product that will help me with my scalp issues. So that's nothing to worry about.

Does anyone have any other suggestions and advice for me? I'm still stuck on what type of hair to buy. I bought the worng kind of hair last time (cheap Yaki) and it tangled awfully! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I'd love to hear your suggestions/advice. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

A

AmilLion

Eventually wearing weaves over a prolonged period will thin out your hair. Yes it will get long, but you will start to notice that your ends are thin. Hence, all that length you attained will look stringy and disgusting. YUCK. At least that was my experience.

Do you glue any tracks in? Is it all sewn in?

When I would get weaves, I would purchase the Outré yaki in the Green and Silver Pack (it might be purple and black pack now) and I would purchase the Milky Way European straight. In the back I would use more European straight but mixed some Yaki tracks back there. When I finished, you couldn't tell that the back was European straight and it helped to avoid my hair getting bushy and tangled. When finished, it looked as if I had a really nice relaxer.

My advice, I wouldn't use weave or braids to grow out hair because wearing them over prolonged period can damage hair. Weave or braids cannot "MAKE" your hair grow. I take that your hair was already growing almost an inch a month, you probably didn't notice it as much.

G

I'm getting them sewn in. I will never use glue.

Yeah, I remember my experince with braids. Awful, just awful. I ended up with shorter hair because most of it all had to be cut. On the other hand, I loved the weave. Much more healthier, and take-out ain't nearly as terrible. The last time I had tracks was in January, so, it's not a continual thing for me. I just want to do it every now and then, depending on my next experience.

The next lady that I am going to is actually a braidist. So, this shall be an interesting experience, and plus, she is probably quicker than the last lady who took 5 hours on my head. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif And she's only charging me $80 compared to the $100 I paid before. I can't wait! I may move my appointment back. Maybe I should do it for New Years.... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Azalia

Hey Karonica,
I really like the sew-in weave it really helps to give my hair a jump start on growth. They type of hair that I use it's by His and Hers they carry good quality hair. The type of hair I use is the french refined because it is versatile you can wear it straight or curly. They have several brands just go on line at HisandHer.com I hope that will help. I've had such a hard time when it comes to my hair, I put a relaxer on my hair in August and It damaged my hair real bad so I cut 3 inches off and got a sew-in and it helped out a great deal. I'm doing the 6month challenge that Londondiva set and March will be the last time that I will get this done. I do notice some thinning on my ends but I get so much growth that it doesn't matter. I just get a trim every other time I take it out. If you want to look at the progress I've made in only 2 months here is my web http://photos.yahoo.com/lanisasims if you have any other questions e-mail me at [email protected] /images/graemlins/smile.gifHappy Growing

A

AmilLion

I think that would be a wise choice. I really don't recommend wearing them over a prolonged period. Good luck.

simone103

I have 4 tracks of weave sewn in the back for length. I've never experienced any breakage or thinning of my hair using that method, and I've been doing this for a year now. I've never had my whole head sewn in with weave for fear that it would look too fake.

If you wash your hair at home a good thing to buy would be one of those hand held shower heads, they are pretty cheap. I bought mine for about $10. If you wash your hair in the shower, you will have less tangles to worry about. I usually wash and condition my hair once or twice a week.

Use human hair for your weave. I don't remember the name of the brand of weave I use, but it looks and feels very much like relaxed hair. The store that you go to buy the hair should allow you to feel the texture of the hair before you decide to purchase it.

G

Thanks so much!

I have been searching almost every website that carry weaves, and I stopped by His and Her, and they are kinda expensive. Whew! But, for the price they show, did they send you like one track, or a bundle. It is so confusing, because on one website, they had listed a price and something about 1/4 lb. I'm like, 'Is that a bag of tracks or one thing of weave?" I don't know????

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
karonica, weaves aren't very complicated procedures. To keep up a healthy pace of fresh weaving without burning a hole in your wallet, you may want to consider learning how to weave yourself! /images/graemlins/smile.gif