Any ladies with long hair who press or flat iron regularly? Looking 4 tips!

Ms Lala

Hey ladies,

I tried the search function and google because I know there is probably a thread on this somewhere already.
Anyway are there any members who press or flat iron regularly and have hair that is BSL and beyond? If so please share your tips. I know Pinkskates does this and her hair is beautiful any others?

HighlyFavored1

Sylver2 has beautiful long hair! Although I can not say whether she flat irons regularly, she has some great tutorials in her fotki about how she flat irons. You may also want to do a search for some of her posts on the Maxiglide and flat ironning.

shtow

I have been thinking of going back to flat ironing weekly but instead using setting one on a maxiglide rather than my chi which has no setting choice. I know pinkskates is natural though so it may be harder for relxed hair to "get away with it". I may be wrong but I dont think she flat irons weekly either. Im going to stick to the rollersets for now b/c the front of my hair is finally retaining length.

Last edited:

Aussie

i dont really press as much as i use to since I have been relaxed. but i would wash, condition, moisturize, seal, then spray heat protectant while my hair is still wet. then i would blowdry wit a pick (still do this now) when my hair is gettin to the dry side. after everythin is dry i put leave-in moisturizer (even tho i kno i did it b4 but since my hair is not so greasy n oil now i put it again) then spray. after waitin for 5 mins or less i flat iron. it may seem like alot... but my hair loves it becuz it knows it about to go under the knife... so the least i can do is nurse it b4 hand

MissM

I basically do everything most would advise you not to do. I wash my hair every two weeks, blow-dry and flat iron and then bump my ends. My hair is just fine with this routine-especially considering how much I've previously colored and stripped color out.

I basically do everything most would advise you not to do. I wash my hair every two weeks, blow-dry and flat iron and then bump my ends. My hair is just fine with this routine-especially considering how much I've previously colored and stripped color out.

You what? WOW. I too have been considering just wearing my hair pressed or braided for months time. Miss M are you natural or relaxed? How long have you been doing this? I'm so amazed, I want to know everything..lol

pet

I'm with Miss M. I also wash my hair every two weeks, DC, blowdry, and press with a hotcomb. I grease my hair with castor oil once a week, and that has strengthened my hair like nothing else. Since I started to use Shikakai powder (4 weeks ago), my hair has gotten thicker, and people say it has grown a little within the last 4 weeks (even though I don't see it...lol).

I wrap my hair at night to keep the press up, and usually it remains straight until I wash it again.

HTH!

Zsazsa6275

I don't press my own hair as much as I use to. I do get it done once a month. But, when I do it myself, it's a 1.5-2 hour process.

I divide it into 3 sections from start to finish. I shampoo, condition and detangle with a wide-tooth comb. I blowdry (with a heat protectant, of course) using a ionic 1875 watt dryer with a comb attachment. I press with an electric pressing comb and I use the old school pressing comb for my edges. I finish with a ceramic flat iron.

Most of the time I'm really good, other times it's not that great. This has all been trial and error over the course of 14 years. You just have to do it. I would say pick a day when you don't have to go anywhere and do it. It could be a HAM but you will learn what works best (techniques, products, etc.) for your hair. For example, some people use a pressing cream, I can't because it weighs my hair down. Your hair's thickness, length, and whether or not it's relaxed, are all factors to consider. Just remember to be patient.

Don't know if that really helps. Let us know how it goes if you decide to do it. Good luck!!!

Angelicus

Hey, I used to flat iron my new growth every time I wore my hair down. This was probably every 3 weeks. My sections are very small and I do not comb my hair after taking out my rollers. I use the tail of the rattail to section my hair and I flat iron.

Actually, I do not use heat protectant and people will probably look at my post funny because I don't. I do use a leave-in though. My favorites are Lacio Lacio, Silicon Mix, and Heavily Diluted KeraCare Setting Lotion (Thank you tsuprincess04).

Ms Lala

I have been thinking of going back to flat ironing weekly but instead using setting one on a maxiglide rather than my chi which has no setting choice. I know pinkskates is natural though so it may be harder for relxed hair to "get away with it". I may be wrong but I dont think she flat irons weekly either. Im going to stick to the rollersets for now b/c the front of my hair is finally retaining length.
Yeah I don't think I would flat iron weekly if I was relaxed.

Ms Lala

Wow and your hair is beautiful!

Ms Lala

I'm with Miss M. I also wash my hair every two weeks, DC, blowdry, and press with a hotcomb. I grease my hair with castor oil once a week, and that has strengthened my hair like nothing else. Since I started to use Shikakai powder (4 weeks ago), my hair has gotten thicker, and people say it has grown a little within the last 4 weeks (even though I don't see it...lol).

I wrap my hair at night to keep the press up, and usually it remains straight until I wash it again.

HTH!

Do you get lots of split ends doing this?

Ms Lala

Hey, I used to flat iron my new growth every time I wore my hair down. This was probably every 3 weeks. My sections are very small and I do not comb my hair after taking out my rollers. I use the tail of the rattail to section my hair and I flat iron.

Actually, I do not use heat protectant and people will probably look at my post funny because I don't. I do use a leave-in though. My favorites are Lacio Lacio, Silicon Mix, and Heavily Diluted KeraCare Setting Lotion (Thank you tsuprincess04).

It seems like the Silicon Mix would protect your hair from the heat.

Ms Lala

I don't press my own hair as much as I use to. I do get it done once a month. But, when I do it myself, it's a 1.5-2 hour process.

I divide it into 3 sections from start to finish. I shampoo, condition and detangle with a wide-tooth comb. I blowdry (with a heat protectant, of course) using a ionic 1875 watt dryer with a comb attachment. I press with an electric pressing comb and I use the old school pressing comb for my edges. I finish with a ceramic flat iron.

Most of the time I'm really good, other times it's not that great. This has all been trial and error over the course of 14 years. You just have to do it. I would say pick a day when you don't have to go anywhere and do it. It could be a HAM but you will learn what works best (techniques, products, etc.) for your hair. For example, some people use a pressing cream, I can't because it weighs my hair down. Your hair's thickness, length, and whether or not it's relaxed, are all factors to consider. Just remember to be patient.

Don't know if that really helps. Let us know how it goes if you decide to do it. Good luck!!!

Thanks for the tips!!

Last edited:

MissM

It's only been recently that I've started washing my hair every two weeks-mainly out of not having time to do it weekly. Keep in mind that I also reside in Michigan and the winters here are cold and so I don't feel my hair and scalp get dirty as fast.

I have been visiting this board for almost six years and I think the most important advice I've followed is stretching my relaxers out. I currently relax every 6mths. Although right now I have not had one since last June. I'm very lucky that my hair straightens very easily with a flat iron and that the climate is cold. I also deep condition everytime I wash and I moisturize and/or oil my hair daily and sleep with a scarf on at night, hair wrapped. I also don't wear wool coats, scarfs or hats.

The worst advice, and this is just my experience only, was not trimming my hair regularly. My hair grows fairly slowly and I was trimming almost every six months. So I will say that if you're going to use heat you can't be one of these people who don't trim as frequently. Not to brag (smile) but anyone who does my hair is always amazed it's in such good condition and I wear it down everyday. I'm too cute for buns right now-just kidding!!

Ms Lala

It's only been recently that I've started washing my hair every two weeks-mainly out of not having time to do it weekly. Keep in mind that I also reside in Michigan and the winters here are cold and so I don't feel my hair and scalp get dirty as fast.

I have been visiting this board for almost six years and I think the most important advice I've followed is stretching my relaxers out. I currently relax every 6mths. Although right now I have not had one since last June. I'm very lucky that my hair straightens very easily with a flat iron and that the climate is cold. I also deep condition everytime I wash and I moisturize and/or oil my hair daily and sleep with a scarf on at night, hair wrapped. I also don't wear wool coats, scarfs or hats.

The worst advice, and this is just my experience only, was not trimming my hair regularly. My hair grows fairly slowly and I was trimming almost every six months. So I will say that if you're going to use heat you can't be one of these people who don't trim as frequently. Not to brag (smile) but anyone who does my hair is always amazed it's in such good condition and I wear it down everyday. I'm too cute for buns right now-just kidding!!

I have to use pretty high heat to straighten my hair. But I still think I'm going to try straightening every 2 weeks. I don't need my hair bone straight anyway. I'm just tired of the tangles and knots I get from airdrying.

inthepink

I started wearing my hair straight for the exact reason you mentioned. Even though I wasn't getting split ends from wearing my hair natural, I was getting so many knots! They seemed just as bad as split ends! So, I made a compromise and I mostly use roller sets to straighten my hair. I no longer get knots.

Ms Lala

I started wearing my hair straight for the exact reason you mentioned. Even though I wasn't getting split ends from wearing my hair natural, I was getting so many knots! They seemed just as bad as split ends! So, I made a compromise and I mostly use roller sets to straighten my hair. I no longer get knots.

Your hair is pretty. Rollersets don't work for my texture though, I end up w/a big fro.

MissM

I also use a high amount of heat to straighten my hair. My flat iron goes up to 20 I think. Well that's what I flat iron on. No offense to anyone, but I laugh at these people who flat iron their hair on 10 or less. My hair would laugh at that-and forget it if I got hot, this mess would curl up so fast!!! The irony is when you get your hair flat iron'd at the salon you know the heat from the stove their using is like, whoa. But your hair is so smooth and silky-when I was going to the salon my hair was in even better condition than it is now. You do whatever suits you.

shtow

I grew my hair fro SL to APL in a year (after a bad coloring experience) using my no heat control CHI. I did the rollersetting thing for a couple of months and HATED it! It took 5 hours, I hate wet, crinkly fingers, and my hair was dry and tangled after 4 weeks post. So I am back to using heat. I do think that using my one setting CHI may have been the reason why the front of my hair didn't retain as much length as the back because the front of my hair is more prone to breakage. I compared my results with rollersetting and the front of my hair was retaining more length, which showed me that the front of my hair especially hates high heat. So I am back to using heat, only at a lower temp. I flat iron at 281 degrees and I must say I like these results better than my hot arse CHI! My hair was shiner, and had more BODY, and did not revert (Maybe its because Im relaxed bone straight). With my CHI, my hair was not as shiny and I had to use extra heat to get the very little body from it. I dont think heat is bad, but I do believe higher temps are not for me and the front of my hair, the back can handle it :lachen:

By the way, my 2008 album shows my new flat iron and the results.

Ms Lala

I grew my hair fro SL to APL in a year (after a bad coloring experience) using my no heat control CHI. I did the rollersetting thing for a couple of months and HATED it! It took 5 hours, I hate wet, crinkly fingers, and my hair was dry and tangled after 4 weeks post. So I am back to using heat. I do think that using my one setting CHI may have been the reason why the front of my hair didn't retain as much length as the back because the front of my hair is more prone to breakage. I compared my results with rollersetting and the front of my hair was retaining more length, which showed me that the front of my hair especially hates high heat. So I am back to using heat, only at a lower temp. I flat iron at 281 degrees and I must say I like these results better than my hot arse CHI! My hair was shiner, and had more BODY, and did not revert (Maybe its because Im relaxed bone straight). With my CHI, my hair was not as shiny and I had to use extra heat to get the very little body from it. I dont think heat is bad, but I do believe higher temps are not for me and the front of my hair, the back can handle it :lachen:

By the way, my 2008 album shows my new flat iron and the results.

The front of my hair breaks easier too. BTW I am eyeballing the flat iron in your siggy.:rolleyes:

shtow

The front of my hair breaks easier too. BTW I am eyeballing the flat iron in your siggy.:rolleyes:

Girl get it! It is def a great iron! I love it more than my CHI! It heats up in 2 seconds and doesn't snag your hair. It has temp control and gives your hair body and bling. You wont regret it.

Ms Lala

Girl get it! It is def a great iron! I love it more than my CHI! It heats up in 2 seconds and doesn't snag your hair. It has temp control and gives your hair body and bling. You wont regret it.

I just bought a Maxiglide and a new blowdryer so my spending is on hold right now. But it looks so tempting.:look:

lana

I really appreciate this thread guys. I'm a texlaxed head, my natural hair was 4a/b, so that's my new growth now. I'm basically trying to figure out how to wear my hair everyday to work and look cute without using heat more than once a week. I wash my hair once every like 7 days because I think it's bad for MY scalp to wait longer than that...I start scratching, get buildup, you name it...

So anyways I get a lot of breakage with blowdrying, but if I air dry, even after a fresh texlax, my hair is like a brillo pad.

I would say that my hair healthy with a few spots to watch out for at the ends. :yep: (back middle, back back and front bangs).

How are you guys avoiding breakage with heat styling often? Right now for me it's once a week. I can maybe break it down lower to three times a month instead of 4. IF I stretch my washes out longer.

Fine 4s

I'm trying to hold off straightening my hair this summer and the whole year for that matter. However, If I do straighten this summer, I have no idea how I would want my stylist to proceed using all the good techniques I've learn on this site. My thoughts are:

To wash my hair (with whatever mixture I give him- which he might not accept), spray my hair with a leave-in moisturizer then I'm thinking of either making this a two day process and allow my hair to air-dry overnight and come back the next day to finish (idealistic) OR let it dry a little before blow drying my hair on cool setting. This might affect his business operation so I'll need to talk to him before hand and not spring it on him.

Before applying the big heat, spray some heat protectant and .....I'm not sure if I want him to straighten and curl with a curling iron using the marcel stove (the usual) OR use a flat iron to straighten and curl the ends. I don't want multiple heat instruments like I used to do prior to joining this site. He would blow dry on cool, lightly press (one round), flat iron and curl. This other stylist (who probably contributed to most of my heat damage) used to blow dry and curl but that heat was too high. A friend of mine says that her stylist blow dries, straightens and curls the hair with the flat iron. This doesn't sound too bad. If I want more curls, I figure I can do it at home. I would try to do this a maxi of 4-5 times/year. Ideally, it would be nice to wash at home, come in with dry hair and have him straighten & curl my hair skipping the blow dryer completely. That sounds good too!!!!

My overall goal is to apply the least amount of heat possible and avoid heat damage. My strands are very fine.

What would you suggest?