Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Naturtint

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ms Red

I am still transitioning and interested in color once I chop. I have almost jet black hair and would like to get light brown (not orange) highlights.

For the naturals who color/have colored:

1. What brand & color do you use?

2. How much breakage/shedding/damage have you experienced since getting your color?

3. Did it change the texture of your hair?

4. What deep conditioners/protein treatments do you use now for your color?

5. Can you post your hair type or a picture?

thanks!!! :)
ps. i have a poll on here also!

Last edited:

CurleeDST

The pieces highlighted experienced a change in texture. That is due tothe peroxide needed. My hair is extermely dark so they had to lift the overall color and then highlight my hair. It didn't loosen all of the textures but since the top of my hair is looser anyway, it just became moreso.

vsantina said:
If you don't mind, can I add a question? Did it change the texture of your hair?

CurleeDST

I have pictures in my fotki of my natural hair with color. Check it out.

www.fotki.com/curleedst

CurleeDST

I honestly don't know. The stylist mixed up the colors looking at some hair color swatches and matching it up with my skin.

He lightened my hair overall and then added the highlights.

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
1. What brand & color do you use? Garnier 100% Color, I have no clue what color

2. How much breakage/shedding/damage have you experienced since getting your color? a lil bit much better now that I've stepped up my protein/conditioner thing

3. Did it change the texture of your hair? Not that I noticed

4. What deep conditioners/protein treatments do you use now for your color? Aubrey Organics GPB and Miss Key 10 en 1

5. Can you post your hair type or a picture? pics are in fotki

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I'm still transitioning, but I've been coloring my hair for some time.

I switch around and have tried the following:Jazzings in Clear, Clairol Beautiful Collection, Clairol Nice N' Easy Color Boosting Glaze, Clairol Shine Happy, Herbal Essences ColorFlirt

2. How much breakage/shedding/damage have you experienced since getting your color? None, except with the Shine Happy because it has peroxide in it.

3. Did it change the texture of your hair? Not at all

4. What deep conditioners/protein treatments do you use now for your color? I use John Frieda Brilliant Brunette and Radiant Red to enhance my color, but as long as you are using a moisturizing formula, I think you will be fine.

5. Can you post your hair type or a picture? Sorry, I put my kinky twists in right after I did my color and they're still in.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
When I used level 1 and 2 hair colors my hair was very damaged, I had a lot of breakage. Nowadays I'll only use henna every 2-3 months and my hair is back to normal.

naturaline

1. What brand & color do you use?Smartcolour 'red' i think the last time i dyed it was around christmas 05 so the colour has faded loadss now it more brown than red.

2. How much breakage/shedding/damage have you experienced since getting your color? i didnt notice any damage:p

3. Did it change the texture of your hair? i think it loosened it

4. What deep conditioners/protein treatments do you use now for your color? hmmm in the past iv used poos for colour treated hair (i cant remember which ones but im sure some one asked me in mt album so you could look in there)

5. Can you post your hair type or a picture? yep sure you may look in my album in siggy.

HTH
xx

Last edited:

Whimsy

No longer natural but have photos in my album of those days. Color was done w/ dark n lovely!

Ms Red

Lord your puff is beutimous! :drool: LOL
naturaline said:
1. What brand & color do you use?Smartcolour 'red' i think the last time i dyed it was around christmas 05 so the colour has faded loadss now it more brown than red.

2. How much breakage/shedding/damage have you experienced since getting your color? i didnt notice any damage:p

3. Did it change the texture of your hair? i think it loosened it

4. What deep conditioners/protein treatments do you use now for your color? hmmm in the past iv used poos for colour treated hair (i cant remember which ones but im sure some one asked me in mt album so you could look in there)

5. Can you post your hair type or a picture? yep sure you may look in my album in siggy.

HTH
xx

B

Bublnbrnsuga

1. What brand & color do you use?-- I went to the salon

2. How much breakage/shedding/damage have you experienced since getting your color?-- Haven't experienced much damage.

3. Did it change the texture of your hair?-- No

4. What deep conditioners/protein treatments do you use now for your color?-- Horsetail Reconstructor, OliveYou! Deep conditioners

5. Can you post your hair type or a picture?-- see siggy

LadyD

Clariol Natural Instints Midnight Black
I liked this brand because it's nice and dark and to me didn't look unnatural.
2. How much breakage/shedding/damage have you experienced since getting your color?
I have noticed alot of shedding while using this color and for this reason I am going to try henna. The problem is the Clariol box says Do Not Use with henna so I am afraid to try right now.
I didn't notice any change in texture
Aphogee Protein and Aphogee Moisture
I am 4a

RainbowCurls

Jerome Russell B Blonde 40 vol bleach (when bleaching myself) / whatever bleach the hairdresser used.
Crazy Colour temporary colours (rinses?) in 'Violette', 'Peacock Blue' and 'Pine Green' so far.

Quite a few more split ends. Some breakage pieces about 1" occasionly, can be reduced/halted with protein treatments.
No change in shedding.

No.

Not specifically for the colour but more to keep my hair in good condition:
Dark & Lovely Ultra Cholesterol, [thread=83078]Candy C's Avacado Mask[/thread], Nexxus Keraphix, Henara Treatment Wax.

I believe my hair type is 3b/c

(This was before last month's 'mishap'...)

Curlee_lurker

LA face/low class booty
1. What brand & color do you use? I've been coloring my hair longer than I can remember and can't even fathom my natural hair color. I use anything I can find at Sally's. I like their Ion Sensitive Scalp developer, so if color is on sale I just use that with it.

2. How much breakage/shedding/damage have you experienced since getting your color? I think my damage has been more from not washing my hair or moisturizing as much as I should. When I literally bleached my hair (it wasn't lifting enough for me) I had a lot of breakage.

3. Did it change the texture of your hair? Can't quite know. I can't tell if it's changed over time because of something else or the color. The top layer is a lot looser and I have some straight portions.

4. What deep conditioners/protein treatments do you use now for your color? I switch it up. Lots of Redken. Their Extreme line is good. I also use 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner, heavy conditioner, leave-in, etc.

5. Can you post your hair type or a picture? This one doesn't show much of texture.

That's from some highlights over the summer, the color lightened up too much for my taste. When I saw this picture I actually made sure to darken it soon after. I didn't realize I was basically blonde.

About as close to my natural color I've gotten in a while.

Ms Red

Wow! Your hair is gorgeous, Curlee_lurker :) I love both colors!
Curlee_lurker said:
1. What brand & color do you use? I've been coloring my hair longer than I can remember and can't even fathom my natural hair color. I use anything I can find at Sally's. I like their Ion Sensitive Scalp developer, so if color is on sale I just use that with it.

2. How much breakage/shedding/damage have you experienced since getting your color? I think my damage has been more from not washing my hair or moisturizing as much as I should. When I literally bleached my hair (it wasn't lifting enough for me) I had a lot of breakage.

3. Did it change the texture of your hair? Can't quite know. I can't tell if it's changed over time because of something else or the color. The top layer is a lot looser and I have some straight portions.

4. What deep conditioners/protein treatments do you use now for your color? I switch it up. Lots of Redken. Their Extreme line is good. I also use 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner, heavy conditioner, leave-in, etc.

5. Can you post your hair type or a picture? This one doesn't show much of texture.

That's from some highlights over the summer, the color lightened up too much for my taste. When I saw this picture I actually made sure to darken it soon after. I didn't realize I was basically blonde.

About as close to my natural color I've gotten in a while.

ToyToy

cupcake said:
I am still transitioning and interested in color once I chop. I have almost jet black hair and would like to get light brown (not orange) highlights.

thanks!!! :)
ps. i have a poll on here also!

1. Textures and Tones Red Hot Red

2. Actually, I haven't. My hair hasn't been dry and it hasn't shed any more than usual.

3. Not that I have noticed.

4. Protein: Nexxus Keraphix (might move on to Joico K-Pak once I finish this); Deep Conditioner: Pantene R&N Breakage Defense Hair Mask (Best Conditioner EVER!)

5. Sorry :(

Ms Red

I am bumping because I am seriously thinking of coloring my hair. :look: It's like an itch I can't scratch. I just BC'd in June.

Naturally I am almost jet black and I want to get to a light brown hair color. I've heard Aveda is 94% natural but I don't know...:look: With my hair I would need to lift and that is damaging, I know...

Anyone have any suggestions?

ETA: I have been light brown/blonde before when I was relaxed but I'm more scared now that I'm natural. :drunk:

Jenaee

1. What brand & color do you use? Textures and Tones Blazing Burgundy

2. How much breakage/shedding/damage have you experienced since getting your color? very little shedding...nothing Aphogee can't fix

3. Did it change the texture of your hair? Slightly...it loosened curl some but it's a lil more manageable now.

4. What deep conditioners/protein treatments do you use now for your color? Aveda DPR and Porsity Control

5. Can you post your hair type or a picture? Sure

Ms Red

Pretty!! :yep:
1. What brand & color do you use? Textures and Tones Blazing Burgundy

2. How much breakage/shedding/damage have you experienced since getting your color? very little shedding...nothing Aphogee can't fix

3. Did it change the texture of your hair? Slightly...it loosened curl some but it's a lil more manageable now.

4. What deep conditioners/protein treatments do you use now for your color? Aveda DPR and Porsity Control

5. Can you post your hair type or a picture? Sure

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I'm thinking of coloring my hair too, but I don't know when I'd do it. If I do color, I don't think I'd go too light, like I've done before (on relaxed hair). I'd probably do a darker reddish brown.

ETA: Cupcake, if you don't mind, I'd like to ask a general question. How often do you ladies (who color) touch up the color?

blazingthru

1. What brand & color do you use? a box don't remember

No real breakage but I get knots now on the ends

3. Did it change the texture of your hair? yes you can run your hand or fingers down the strand and feel where the color begins. Its old I got it a year ago. I can't wait to cut it all out.

DPR11
Is in my avatar not sure you can see the color or not but its the last three inches are so. I have cut 1 inch off already. Will never color my hair again if I can help it except with henna. still haven't tried it