Any reviews on this black hair care book?

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

Healthy Black Hair: Step-by-Step Instructions for Growing Longer, Stronger Hair
by Nicole Elizabeth Smith

I would love to find out if anyone here has read this book. If so, is it better than Ultra Black Hair Growth II 2000 Edition
by Cathy Howse Your opinions and feedback will be greatly appreciated. I would like to purchase either one of these books but I would like to hear a review before I make a purchase.

Thanks ladies

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
I haven't heard of this book but if you want it, you can borrow it from the library, read it at the book store, or purchase it. I was looking at the index and it seems that she covers information that is already mentioned in the forum.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

Thanks alot Champagne:kissing4:. I was trying to find both of them in Barnes and Nobles but no luck and I don't really have the time to go to the library. I realize that these books cover most of the information that I find here but I would rather have a book as a reference than having to save information from the board each time I need some quick info.

bocagirl

I can't compare with Cathy Howse since I haven't read hers. Most of the info seems to be in Carolyn Gray's book which I had actually read just before so I stopped reading. I have the book here so if you have any specific questions let me know.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I have both of these books. Nicole Smith's book was informative but it pretty much says the same thing as the other hair care books I have read. Wash frequently, condition regularly, etc. She is a advocate of rollersetting and wrapping. The thing I found most interesting was she suggests that you give your hair a break from chemicals and styling for a couple weeks. She suggests braids for this. I do this anyway but this was the first book I read that suggested it. She also gives a receipe for a homemade braid spray. I found that useful.

Cathy Howse's book (and website) is what helped me began my long hair journey. I thought her book was very informative. I found her methods simple to do. She also suggest washing every three days and deep conditioning with heat for at least 20 mins at least once a week. She does not feel trimming is necessary to get hair growth. She advocates stretching out relaxers with the use of flat irons or curling irons tosmooth new growth.

I found both books interesting. I got Nicole's book for $5.95 (the cost of shipping) and I had to order Cathy's book from a bookstore. They both were good reading. Try Amazon.com for Cathy's book.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

Thank you so much Simplycee and Bocagirl for the reviews:kiss: :yay: . This is very helpful information for me in order to make my purchase a successful one. I have my eye on both books on Amazon. They are already in my shopping cart ready to be purchased:grin: . Where exactly did you purchase Nicole's and Cathy Howse book? Is it cheaper on Amazon than the bookstore you purchased them from?

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

Hi ladies,

I just wanted to give a quick review after reading Cathy Howse and Nicole Elizabeth Smith black hair care books. I must say that IMO Nicole's book was a much better book than Cathy's because in Nicole's book she was very detailed with what she was trying to bring across to her audience. I could definately follow her regime because it explains everything step by step and she also made some product recommendations as well throughout the entire book. With Cathy's book it was very informative as well but it didn't explain everything in details.

Both books did have the same information but the only difference was that in Nicole's book she doesn't see anything wrong with brushing your hair in order to stimulate or massage your scalp but you must only use a cushioned paddle brush or a wooden massage brush designed specifically for this use. She also mentioned yoga exercises and tugging your hair to increase circulation to the scalp and stimulate growth (yoga pose) but only pull your hair from the scalp and not the ends.

On the other hand, in Cathy's book she is totally against brushing your hair and hair tugging. Another thing that I discoverd after reading both books is that Cathy Howse puts alot of emphasis on moisturizing your hair and she is also against using grease on your scalp while in Nicole's book she doesn't mention using a moisturizer in her regime. She only mentioned using gloss (shine), leave-in conditioner, light hair oil on ends (jojoba, wheat germ oil, almond oil, olive oil), heavy hair on your hairline morning and night as a physical barrier between your hair and your cosmetics, protein gel and setting lotion.

Giving your hair a break by using protective styles such as braids, slick to the side and ponytails, no heat styles (wrap, split-wrap, french roll, roller set and braid-out) and also thyroid and how it affects your hair was also mentioned in Nicole's book while in Cathy's book none of these useful tips were suggested.

Anyway, I am very glad that I read both books. I did learn alot from each book in addition to being a member of this board.

Last edited:

tryn2growmyhair

simplycee said:
I have both of these books. Nicole Smith's book was informative but it pretty much says the same thing as the other hair care books I have read. Wash frequently, condition regularly, etc. She is a advocate of rollersetting and wrapping. The thing I found most interesting was she suggests that you give your hair a break from chemicals and styling for a couple weeks. She suggests braids for this. I do this anyway but this was the first book I read that suggested it. She also gives a receipe for a homemade braid spray. I found that useful.

Cathy Howse's book (and website) is what helped me began my long hair journey. I thought her book was very informative. I found her methods simple to do. She also suggest washing every three days and deep conditioning with heat for at least 20 mins at least once a week. She does not feel trimming is necessary to get hair growth. She advocates stretching out relaxers with the use of flat irons or curling irons tosmooth new growth.

I found both books interesting. I got Nicole's book for $5.95 (the cost of shipping) and I had to order Cathy's book from a bookstore. They both were good reading. Try Amazon.com for Cathy's book.

Hope this helps.
Where did you get Nicole Smith's book from for 5.95?

kizzylonghair

CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:
Hi ladies,

I just wanted to give a quick review after reading Cathy Howse and Nicole Elizabeth Smith black hair care books. I must say that IMO Nicole's book was a much better book than Cathy's because in Nicole's book she was very detailed with what she was trying to bring across to her audience. I could definately follow her regime because it explains everything step by step and she also made some product recommendations as well throughout the entire book. With Cathy's book it was very informative as well but it didn't explain everything in details.

Both books did have the same information but the only difference was that in Nicole's book she doesn't see anything wrong with brushing your hair in order to stimulate or massage your scalp but you must only use a cushioned paddle brush or a wooden massage brush designed specifically for this use. She also mentioned yoga exercises and tugging your hair to increase circulation to the scalp and stimulate growth (yoga pose) but only pull your hair from the scalp and not the ends.

On the other hand, in Cathy's book she is totally against brushing your hair and hair tugging. Another thing that I discoverd after reading both books is that Cathy Howse puts alot of emphasis on moisturizing your hair and she is also against using grease on your scalp while in Nicole's book she doesn't mention using a moisturizer in her regime. She only mentioned using gloss (shine), leave-in conditioner, light hair oil on ends (jojoba, wheat germ oil, almond oil, olive oil), heavy hair on your hairline morning and night as a physical barrier between your hair and your cosmetics, protein gel and setting lotion.

Giving you hair a break by using protective styles such as braids, slick to the side and ponytails, no heat styles (wrap, split-wrap, french roll, roller set and braid-out) and also thyroid and how it affects your hair was also mentioned in Nicole's book while in Cathy's book none of these useful tips were suggested.

Anyway, I am very glad that I read both books. I did learn alot from each book in addition to being a member of this board.

Classy,

Great review!!! I have read Cathy Howse, I found it very good and its that what got me stated on looking after my hair. But I have not read anythin to compare it to. Where can I but Nicole Elizabeth Smith book from, I am from England. Is there a website !!

Thanks

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

Hi kizzylonghair:wave:

Thanks for the compliments on my review. I purchased both books from the booksellers on Amazon.com. I am not sure if Amazon ships items outside of the US but maybe the booksellers do ship outside of the US. You would have to check the website to see if they do. I think so though.

Your welcome.