Any women out there still trying to figure what products work?

InBloom

In my new-growth
Brighteyes35

You asked about relaxed heads...

I'm relaxed and use Lye. For years I had been using no-lye. It wasn't until LHCF that I realized that relaxers weren't created equal, didn't know the difference between Lye, No-Lye. Now that I know, I changed to lye and haven't looked back. I'm very fine haired. Lye relaxers don't get me bone straight, leaving me fullness that I need. Lye relaxers don't leave the calcium deposits so I can moisturize properly. Even when I used chelating shampoos to remove the calcium deposits, that was rough because of all the stripping. It was hard to get my hair back to normal. Lye has been the answer for me. I also like that fact that I don't have that limp look immediately after relaxing. I'm a self relaxer by the way.

Evolving78

I just wish I could get that flat iron technique down pat. I got the right products just not the right flat iron technique. If I could get salon quality looking flat iron, life would be great!

you have to flat iron very thin small sections. like paper thin. it make take some time, but it will be worth it. slowly bring the iron down and keep it clamped down all the way to the ends. start at your roots. this way you may just have to do it in one pass.

make sure you use 350 or less. stay away from 400-450. deep condition your hair. stay away from products that will cause reversion.

you can roller set too and then go over it with the flat iron.

this is the comb chase method
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if5j857zKVk

SmilingElephant

I have my staples in everything but a DC.

I also like to try different stylers for my WnG's from time to time but i loooooove my EcoStyler Argan for the summer and Noodle Head Curl Cream for the winter. Everything else i use a multipurpose products....like my co washing conditioners also can serve as detanglers and leave-ins for me...so i don't buy too many leave ins anymore.

darlingdiva

I'm just getting it halfway right myself. My main problem was leave-in's and/or moisturizers. I wanted something creamy but light, like Lacio Lacio, but better for your hair. And I wear my hair straight(ish) and textured (curls, twist outs, etc), so, while it would have been nice to find just one product, I figured I would need two. I started using diluted Taliah Waajid protective mist bodifier for the textured styles and It's a 10 for straight styles. Judging by my ends (a bit frayed in the worse place, a weird 3-ish patch in the back), they seem to be doing well. Also, I stopped using oils and replaced them with One n Only Moroccan Oil serum (textured) and Aveda Light Elements smoothing fluid (straight).

I'm still looking for a balanced DC, though. My fine strands love protein, so if anybody has any rec's....

Have you ever tried Aubrey Organics Glycogen Protein Balancing Conditioner. It provides a great balance of protein and moisture. Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Conditioner is also good, and I hear that Mill Creek Botanicals Biotin Conditioner if you want more protein than the keratin conditioner offers.

Regarding the thread question, I have the products that work for my hair, and I am glad to have them. I did not like that period of time when I was still searching for products that worked for my hair because I did not like not knowing how my hair would look after I had used certain products. I am glad that the guessing is a thing of the past.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
*raises hand* And will return later to explain my situation, lol.

Don't get me wrong--I have some down, but not all staples yet!

Back...soooo yeah, so far, I have a shampoo (KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Sulfate Free), DC (AO GPB), and a leave in (SheScentIt Coco Creme) that my hair likes. I also have a moisturizing DC (Kenra MC) and a hard protein (ORS Hair Mayo) that I use as well. I also like Kenra Clarifying Poo.

But I"m still searching for a daily spritzer (water and sealing is not enough) and I'm unsure about my sealant because although it makes my hair soft initially, it soon fades away. :ohwell: But I'm not going to give up on my Qhemet AOHC--because I know what it is capable of doing! :yep: It's just that since my hair was dyed, its needs have changed and I cannot use it alone anymore. I miss those days when it was all I had to use. I underestimated the effect that color and bleach had on my hair. I'll stick to my black rinses...in fact, I think it is time for one now. Perhaps some type of cellophane...?

It's strange because it has ALWAYS worked. I know my hair dislikes oils, aloe vera juice (straight/or mixed with water, ok if it's far down ingredient list in a product), shea butter...etc. Oddly enough, I still want to try Shealoe.

Last edited:

KaramelDiva1978

I definitely am still searching being newly relaxed again!!! My stylist uses Design Essentials lye relaxer and I have Aphogee poo and reconstructor for my protein but need a good moisturizing poo and condish. I have the Organix Coconut Milk set but it was just okay. I do use the ORS replenishing pak for deep cond but my hair seems like its yearning for more.

I use CON leave in and Mango n Coconut oil for m and s and my styles and rollersets are bomb!!! Plus my hair loves QB Amla heavy and vatika oil too. But my conditioning poo and conditioner leave much to be desired. Please share your bomb shampoo and conditioner for relaxed hair!!!! Help a hair sister out!! Lol ;-)

baddison

natural for good
Do any of you ladies use the entire product line or do you mix and match? I used to mix and match until one day I stopped and started using whole lines and that made the difference.

Hmmm...this is interesting. I use the same product line in Shampoo and Conditioners. But after that, I mix-n-match. Right now I'm using KeraCare's Moisturizing/Detangling shampoo, and the corresponding Humecto Moisturizing conditioner. But after the towel dry, I put Giovanni Direct Leave In for detangling, styling, and then seal with some oils. But I might give the KeraCare leave in a try.:yep:

baddison

natural for good
For daily care like moisturizing I have my one product that I use, just because it's the only thing that works and it took years and years, from before I even came to LHCF to find it.:look: For shampoo/conditioner etc. I have a large stash of stuff I know works and I use them in rotation depending on my hair needs on any given wash day. Every time I think I've found my staple, I usually end up finding something else that works better inadvertently.:perplexed "Staple" for me is just another way of saying "temporary favorite.":lol:

For your second question, I mix and match from the product lines in my stash, depending on what my hair needs.

This is the single item that I just can't seem to get right: a DAILY moisturizing product that's not too heavy or greasy. I just recently purchased Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Conditioning Milk, and also some KeraCare Hair Milk Daily Sustainer. Both products are very light creams and I am hoping I can choose one (..or both..) as daily moisutizing staples.

ScorpioBeauty09 what's that ONE product that you use for daily moisturizing??:rolleyes:

alive

baddison said:
This is the single item that I just can't seem to get right: a DAILY moisturizing product that's not too heavy or greasy. I just recently purchased Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Conditioning Milk, and also some KeraCare Hair Milk Daily Sustainer. Both products are very light creams and I am hoping I can choose one (..or both..) as daily moisutizing staples.

ScorpioBeauty09 what's that ONE product that you use for daily moisturizing??:rolleyes:

I wanna know too!! :yep:

Rikinkkulus

I wish I could figure out what's going on. My hair used to be flyy. Now I use the same products and my twistouts look a mess. I have no clue what is happening. I want to know which products should stay and which should go. I don't want to keep buying things!

darlingdiva

I wish I could figure out what's going on. My hair used to be flyy. Now I use the same products and my twistouts look a mess. I have no clue what is happening. I want to know which products should stay and which should go. I don't want to keep buying things!

When is the last time that you clarified your hair? You may have product build-up.

baddison

natural for good
@baddison and @alive LOL!! Sure, I use Essentious Daily oil moisturizer on the Essentious line at BrockBeauty.com. If you've heard of Hairfinity it's the same company that makes and sells Essentious. Hope this helps.

WOOT!! WOOT!! Yup....I use Hairfinity regularly....great growth. I wasnt sure if anyone has used the Essentious line. So I'm guessing its good stuff. Gotta go check it out...maybe with my next hairfinity order, I'll throw in some Essentious!!:lick:

Maguerite

I am natural and it took me 3 years to figure out what my hair liked. In between I jumped on every bandwagon and ended up with a BSS of products in my home! Eventually I figured out that my fine but dense ( I had always thought coarse) hair loved protein and creamy leave-ins and hated nearly all oils- especially the 'famous triad' of coconut, avocado and olive oils. It also hates shea butter. I ended up loving soft and beautiful curl activator/moisturizer ( I know right?) which was my HG till I took the decision to be more concious in terms of the toxicity of stuff I was eating or putting on my body. I now avoid parabens, TEA's, etc so had to start from the scratch. I had so much stuff that thankfully I have not needed to buy much so I am slowly using and testing what I have and so far my hair likes JBCO, Giovanni Direct leave-in & Argan oil so these will be my staple leave-in's ( I spritz with water then apply the oils.)
As for the rest I am working my way through slowly. I have a great moisturizing sulfate -free 'poo (Giovanni Tea-tree triple treat), co-wash (Hello hydration or Garnier fructis), DT (A'kin, Ojon), Pre-shampoo treatment (Ojon oil), Protein (Aphogee 2 minute, Joico Kpak & Megatek.)
Some still have not so great ingredients so I am still on the hunt for suitable alternatives once I use them up.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
^^Your hair sounds like mine...someone else mentioned that my hair may be fine too, but it feels so coarse...and certainly looks coarse. My hair hates oils and shea butter too.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
ME! I am a recovering PJ. I was addicted to every natural product and oil.:lol: For the first time today, I used a product from a local BS called One and only Argan oil. I used the shampoo first and DC'd with Elasta QP soya conditioner. After I rinsed it out I used the argan oil conditioner. This was the first time my hair ever felt relaxed and behaved as relaxed hair. I was able to detangle, roller set and wrap my hair easily. I had to revamp my products and use products that will help me with my relaxer stretch. I had to give away a lot of natural products that did nothing for my relaxed hair. Fortunately, I can use up my Afroveda butters and oils on my hair to stretch for the next 3 months til I relax again.:yay:

Kindheart

ScorpioBeauty09 i love the hydrating Essentious conditioner it smells divine and it's ao thick and moisturizing ..i m also taking hairfinity pills .

As for me not finding products that work well is a bit of a lie ,there are some products that work just fine but i m always curious to see if the next product is better.
I would say that the best line i tried so far is Curl Junkie.

0live0il

Eventually I figured out that my fine but dense ( I had always thought coarse) hair loved protein and creamy leave-ins and hated nearly all oils- especially the 'famous triad' of coconut, avocado and olive oils. It also hates shea butter

Your hair sounds REALLY similar to mine :lol: But have you tried the creamy Olive Oil leave in? That's a staple product of mine & one of my favs.

Maguerite

0live0il said:
Your hair sounds REALLY similar to mine :lol: But have you tried the creamy Olive Oil leave in? That's a staple product of mine & one of my favs.

Thanks I may look into it:)

Maguerite

Arian said:
^^Your hair sounds like mine...someone else mentioned that my hair may be fine too, but it feels so coarse...and certainly looks coarse. My hair hates oils and shea butter too.

How does your look with twists? If not full looking yet looks full with a 'fro or wash and go then it may be fine. Does your hair like protein?

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
AnointedandAmazing said:
How does your look with twists? If not full looking yet looks full with a 'fro or wash and go then it may be fine. Does your hair like protein?

My hair does look full with twists, so maybe I am coarse. Also, my strands do not look translucent when placed under light. My hair does ok with protein, but right now, it probably lacks moisture. I need to find a DC with absolutely no protein.

Sent from my 4G Thunderbolt using LHCF app

mochalocks

I'm still trying to find the right daily moisturizer for my relaxed hair. I was using Roots of Nature:hairdress cream, but all that is perfume in a bottle.

So I've been reading good reviews about Mizani conditioning hairdress cream, and about KeraCare conditioning cream. I chose to get Mizani I'll see how it works with my hair in a few days since I got it on amazon.com

JBunnie

I'm a natural, 3a/b curls but I have a good amount of heat damage. The front 1/3 of my hair is mostly straight/wavy because of it. I literally just started taking an interest in caring for my hair properly so I can wear my curls. (I had done it a few times before but I wasn't all in like I'm in now)

I'm trying to find a cowash conditioner, the best stylers for my hair, best oils and moisturizers. I have no idea what a finisher is and exactly how to use it. (Clearly you use it at the end, but how/when exactly I don't know) Still trying to achieve a fabulous wash and go and great second day hair. I don't know if I should moisturize after styling my hair and what moisturizers to use if I do. (I do a full wash on Saturday, take down my bantu knots/TnC on Sunday and cowash Wednesday, so do I moisturize Monday and/or Tuesday?) I'm contemplating joining the Y and swimming so that will be something else I need to work on.

I really need to finish out my HG then I'll work on growth and learning more styles (i'm styling impaired)

ronie

My hair does look full with twists, so maybe I am coarse. Also, my strands do not look translucent when placed under light. My hair does ok with protein, but right now, it probably lacks moisture. I need to find a DC with absolutely no protein.

Sent from my 4G Thunderbolt using LHCF app

Bee mine Be-u-ti-ful dc is a very good protein free deep conditioner. It has some very good ingredients. It claims natural and organic on the jar but not sure if every single ingredient is. It's not a staple of mines cause my damaged relaxed ends need some protein and a bit of technology ( chemicals; :lachen:)