Anybody NOT in love with Silicon Mix?!?!?

leigh.hill

Okay so I read all of the thread about everyone's love for the Silicon Mix. I used it a couple of years ago, so the PJ in me just had to buy it again. I DC'ed with it tonight under the dryer for 30 minutes. The smell is a little too much for me :nono: and my hair just feels okay after a dc with the mix. I MIGHT give it a try next week, but I definitely did not get the slip-n-shine that others have mentioned. I know different hair products for different hair, but am I alone here...did you feel like :sad: after using Silicon Mix? Maybe I should not have mixed it was a little avocado oil?

jcanalena79

I didn't love it. But I did mix it when I used it too. I have a little left that I'll try on its own and see how it is.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
:nono:Sorry LeighH.

Personally, The Smell is too overwhelmingly perfumey for me.:ohwell:

I couldn't 'get into' how it worked, because I couldn't tolerate the Smell.:perplexed

I ended up selling my 56 ounce Jar on the Exchange Forum:blush:

leigh.hill

IDare - You bought 56oz? Wow. I only bought the 8oz jar, but I am thinking I should have saved up my money for a good ole American product. lol

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I used Silicon Mix a month before I decided to go back to relaxers in late 2007 and for a few week after I relaxed my hair and didn't like it at all. It left my hair coated, it's more on the protein side of the spectrum

PJaye

I didn't care for it either. Despite adding multiple additives - castor oil, amla oil, neem oil, grapeseed oil, honey, shea butter, panthenol, honeyquat, SAA - it' was still rather corny. That was my last foray into Dominican products; they just do not work for me.

nymane

I'm still in love with this stuff...it does all the heavy duty detangling for me when I'm months into my stretch and the moisture lasts for days...I don't mix mine with anything

seemegrow

I've heard people say that right after you perm it stops working until your new growth gets farther along. IDK I only have used it while stretching, we'll see.

Poopiedo

I used it once. Everytime I turned my head, I could smell my hair. I asked my DH could he smell my hair and he said yeah but it didn't bother him. It's too loud for me. I had to cowash the next day because the smell began to bother me. I get headaches very easily with loud fragrances. I bought a small jar of it. Is there any way I can mix something, anything with it to tone down the smell? I really want it to work but that smell....:nono:

spelmanlocks

I tried it and hated it. The smell was too much for me also, reminded me of baby powder. I gave it to my mom and she hated it too.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I notice a lot of people do not like the smell...what does it smell like exactly?

It's exactly what a purebred bloodhound would smell if you shoved its nose into the depths of a 100 pound tub of floral-scented baby powder.
And the smell clings to every single thing that it touches for days and days.

I am not in love with Silicon Mix.
Not only did it make me sneeze and irritate the skin on my face (I blame all the fragrance), it was also not all that for my hair.
The only time it impressed me was when I was putting stuff in it.

I did like how it applied though.

Last edited:

sharifeh

I like the scent too, :giggle: it did take some getting used to though. It's so strong, it lingers for days.

prisytomboy

Ok I know you said "not in love with..." but...

I LOVE it on my new growth...before using it I could not get past 6-8 weeks post! My hair would tangle so bad and I would have to tear it out jus to detangle it. Since using silicon mix...I can go at least 12 weeks. I think it soften and make my new growth more managble. I LOVE the smell so does my BF...he constantly sniffs my hair...and every now and then I get a whiff of it...it last for about 3-4 days!!!! I admit the product itself is a bit strong but I think its worth the after scent.

As far as relaxed hair...NOTHING!!!

I have even mixed the silicon mix with aphogee 2 min. reconstructor = REALLY NICE RESULTS!!!!

Good thread...

Barbie83

I love the conditioner itself, it gives me TONS of slip :yep:

As for the smell, i like the actual fragrance, it's just REAAAALLLLY strong and overpowering :nono:

Mdmommy99

OP are you natural or relaxed? I am noticing people saying they liked it on their new growth so maybe it works better on natural hair? I don't know because I haven't tried it but wondering if that could be the case.

leigh.hill

Hey - I created this thread for haters only - what's with all the silicon mix lovers posting replied - just kidding of course!

It is funny that some of the "lovers" mention the slip and detangle because after co-washing my hair is not that tangled, but after DC with the silicon mix my hair was really tangled PLUS my hair felt really dry even though my hair was still wet :perplexed.

I will continue my search for a good dc. THough I love dominican food and music I think I might be staying away from the hair products.:yep:

MizzCoco

I loved how easy it was to detangle my 13+ post NG...but I didnt like the weird coating it seemed to leave on my hair after it dried. The smell is nice, but yeah VERY strong

Guitarhero

I have a huge gallon of the shampoo. It's roughly 95% still in de jar! I used 2 jars of the conditioner and didn't return. The few times of use were great. I think I was just to damaged at the time to appreciate it.

leigh.hill

I am 12 weeks post relaxer (for the first time EVER - thanks LHCF), which is why I thought is would be soooo good. I read on other threads how much the mix helped on the NG...but it did not help me. With all the product I had to put on the hair last night and this morning to bring to back to almost normal, my hair felts really coated right now.