Anybody wash their plaits(extensions) weekly?

beebellkel

I washed my hair last night and it felt do great and light I feel like I want to wash them every week..Are their any ladies who wash their plaits(extensions) weekly?

I treat my hair like I do when it's not in extensions. I wash it twice a week, especially since I work out and apply that smelly sulfur mix. It does get fuzzy, but I will just redo the edges.

I do. But it's getting loose at the crown and I'm afraid that if I take it out I won't be able to redo it.

Not when I've got extensions. They get fuzzy very quickly that way, IMO. Have you tried a braid spray with tea tree oil or peppermint to get that "refreshed" feeling?

Not when I've got extensions. They get fuzzy very quickly that way, IMO. Have you tried a braid spray with tea tree oil or peppermint to get that "refreshed" feeling?

No I haven't Im too addicted to "the roots" braid spray to try anything else! lol

I oiled my scalp with castor oil, sprayed scalp/braids with homemade mixture, then took a hand held steamer and steamed the length of the braids. No itching, no odor and felt clean. Hair also laid down and felt softer. I'll be doing once or twice per week. :yep:

Last edited:
I oiled my scalp with castor oil, sprayed scalp/braids with homemade mixture, then took a hand held steamer and steamed the length of the braids. No itching, no odor and felt clean. Hair also laid down and felt softer. I'll be doing once or twice per week. :yep:

WOW! great idea will try...thx for sharing

i have yarn braids & i wash them every week. i treat my hair in braids the same as i do when they're out.

I treat my hair like I do when it's not in extensions. I wash it twice a week, especially since I work out and apply that smelly sulfur mix. It does get fuzzy, but I will just redo the edges.

Ditto! :yep: I too do the same thing to my hair in extensions as I do out of them: I wash my hair twice a week. Since I do my own braids, I redo them one by one if they start to get fuzzy. This doesn't happen from just a couple of washes.

I believe the reason washing doesn't really mess my braids up is I put extensions in when my hair is in its shrunken state. That way, it's like washing prewashed jeans. There's no shrinkage that would cause an accordion effect and make them fussy. The main thing that happens when I wash--especially new human hair braids--is they will unravel up to the point where my hair is. But I just redo them to the ends as time allows. In time, they don't unravel anymore.

This pic gives you an example of what my braids look like after wash:
Afterawash-vi.jpg

And if many of them look like they need redoing, I just cornrow them while damp and then wear a braid-out. I find braid-outs disguise the mess nicely.
MicrosBraidOut-vi.jpg

Ditto! :yep: I too do the same thing to my hair in extensions as I do out of them: I wash my hair twice a week. Since I do my own braids, I redo them one by one if they start to get fuzzy. This doesn't happen from just a couple of washes.

I believe the reason washing doesn't really mess my braids up is I put extensions in when my hair is in its shrunken state. That way, it's like washing prewashed jeans. There's no shrinkage that would cause an accordion effect and make them fussy. The main thing that happens when I wash--especially new human hair braids--is they will unravel up to the point where my hair is. But I just redo them to the ends as time allows. In time, they don't unravel anymore.

This pic gives you an example of what my braids look like after wash:
Afterawash-vi.jpg

And if many of them look like they need redoing, I just cornrow them while damp and then wear a braid-out. I find braid-outs disguise the mess nicely.
MicrosBraidOut-vi.jpg

When you put the deep conditioner in do you only put it on the scalp or on the length of the braid too?when you use the apple cider vinegar what exactly do you do just pour it on your head?lol why do you use the ACV? what are the benefits?

Last edited:
When you put the deep conditioner in do you only put it on the scalp or on the length of the braid too?when you use the apple cider vinegar what exactly do you do just pour it on your head?lol why do you use the ACV? what are the benefits?

beebellkel I NEVER EVER put any type of conditioner on my scalp. I don't believe conditioner is meant for the scalp. I like my scalp to be free of product because anything on it makes me itch--except maybe 100% natural products and I can't be bothered to be that anal when synthetics work on my hair just fine. So when I condition, both regular or DC, I usually skip the section of my hair closest to my scalp and apply to the rest of the hair to the tips. I do it in small section smoothing conditioner the way you'd apply relaxer.

When in extensions, I first cornrow the extensions forward to get them out of the way. Then I pull out a few braids, smooth conditioner from a short distance from the base all the way to the ends of my hair (not extension hair) and then I squeeze the braids to let it penetrate. I then plait them to keep them out of the way while I work on another set. I leave them hanging down so that condish does drip down to my scalp but rather drips down toward the ends of my hair where it's most needed. Whether DCing or just conditioning regular, this is the method I use to apply condish.

In the past, I would then put on a cap and go under a dryer to DC. Nowadays I don't bother with the dryer but I just apply AO GPB to dry hair to DC per the instructions. Put on a cap and leave it on for 15 mins then shampoo and then condition.

To rinse, I just let water run through my hair while I squeeze the braids. For those who don't do their own braids so worry about them getting loose or sliding down due to water running through, perhaps you could leave them in the braid you have them and just squeeze them that way till no more froth is coming out.

I always finish every wash with an ACV rinse. Apple Cider Vinegar makes your hair acidic which makes the scales on the surface of the hair (cuticle) close and therefore give you smooth strands that don't tangle. Closed cuticles also prevent moisture loss, and hair is generally healthier when cuticles are closed. You have to be careful though not to use a very concentrated solution or you could damage the protein in hair. So it's better to err on the side of caution by going as dilute as possible because even just a drop of acidity is better than none.

I usually use about 1/4 cup in about two gallons of water. I also add 20 drops of lavender essential oil and 20 of rosemary essential oil, but this is optional. You can either just make the solution and pour it over your head after you rinse out conditioner (I do that when I'm in a rush); otherwise, I usually make the mixture in a basin and then kneel in the tub and dunk my head in there. While my head is submerged, I massage my scalp remove any product residue (I love a clean scalp), but that also helps with improving circulation. I just let my hair soak in that wonderful acidic goodness.

Last edited:
I'm with Nonie! I used to always wash my hair and treat the extensions like they were my own hair. It can be done! And it can still look nice!!!!

Missed this one - I wash my extensions (I'm in twists) up to 3 times a week as I work out a lot and my hair appreciates the moisture washing and conditioning brings.

It's fine - to be honest, I'm not into any style which prevents me from regular washing. I'm gentle, don't allow the weight of the wet braids to pull on the sides and actually find the braids look neater after washing as any stray hairs compact into neat, unnoticeable curls. :yep:

Back