Anyone do Air-Dry Rollersets?

mrsbookworm

Do you air-dry rollerset your hair without heat? Any tips for doing this? I have 4a/4b hair and am not quite sure how my hair will turn out if I air-dry overnight. Any tips? I plan to do this tonight. :confused:

saratess

This is the only way I do my rollersets. I let it airdry over night with a leave in conditioner and sometimes I use a setting lotion. My hair is about an inch below my ear now and it comes out soft and bouncy.

AKA-Tude

But how do ya'll get the hair smooth?

Mine always comes out fluffy, then I have to go ver it w/ the iron (which defeats the purpose).

Mars_Reiko

AKA-Tude said:
But how do ya'll get the hair smooth?

Mine always comes out fluffy, then I have to go ver it w/ the iron (which defeats the purpose).

Ditto that. I tried a air dryed roller set , and my hair came out so puffy. I don't have a bonnet dryer yet so I'll have to get one first before I try another one.

deltagyrl

It takes ~12 hours or so to dry.

ETA: I have to completely saturate each section w/ water and comb with my rat tail (after I've detangled, of course) before rolling. I also seal my ends with grease and use end papers. It takes a LONG time to dry so I usually go that route over the weekend.

Last edited:

crlsweetie912

I do! My hair is very thick so every once and awhile I may have to use the hooded dryer for about 15 minutes before I take the rollers out.

Isis

shunta said:
Isis does this. Ill bet she will check in shortly.:)
You're so sweet Shunta! The forum was down for maintenance so I had to wait.:lol:

Yes, I've been airdrying in rollersets since I started on this journey. I use a combination of the ponytail rollersetting method (I make several ponytails using hair safe Scunci Hair Hosiery bands) and Macherieamour's rollersetting tips. I airdry overnight while sleeping and position a couple of rollers so I can sleep comfortably.

My hair becomes smooth and "straight" as if I blowdried it. Then I style it in updos, buns, or braid it for braidouts. More recently, I've begun to actually wear my bouncy, shiny rollersets, pincurling it at night to maintain the style. I get many compliments too. I don't know why I haven't done this sooner! :rolleyes:

bajanplums1

I used to do air dried rollersets. But had more success letting the hair air dry while hanging loose and then add leave ins and do rollerset once hair is dry. When I did do them, I would wait until my hair became 80% dry, add leave ins, then rollerset.

sherann

I airdry my rollersets and get the same results as when I sit under the dryer. The key to having it sleek is to use a leave-in that will smooth but not weigh down the hair (NTM leave-in or Salerm 21 have worked for me) and then making sure that as you rollerset the hair lays smoothly on the roller. If it does not lay smooth wet, it may be frizzy when dry. I get the best results when I roll each section dripping wet on magnetic rollers. Somehow if the hair is not completely wet, it does not lay right. Sorry for the long post!

Isis

AKA-Tude said:
Thanx, ISIS!

Macheriamour's tips were helpful!
You're welcome AKA-Tude!

I agree with what Sherann wrote--for the smoothest sets, the hair must be dripping wet on the rollers (magnetic for me) and tight on the rollers (not loose). That way the curls are not puffed out when dry. I like airdrying this way because all that moisture is in my hair when it's dry and it has a lot of body. I don't think using heat can make the curls any smoother, bouncier or shinier.

AKA-Tude

senimoni said:
How in the world can you sleep with rollers? I'm barely making it through he night with a scarf.

I am }}}}}HERE{{{{{ with you on this one.

It is more than a notion trying to sleep in rollers!

sunshinebeautiful

sherann said:
I airdry my rollersets and get the same results as when I sit under the dryer. The key to having it sleek is to use a leave-in that will smooth but not weigh down the hair (NTM leave-in or Salerm 21 have worked for me) and then making sure that as you rollerset the hair lays smoothly on the roller. If it does not lay smooth wet, it may be frizzy when dry. I get the best results when I roll each section dripping wet on magnetic rollers. Somehow if the hair is not completely wet, it does not lay right. Sorry for the long post!

Ditto on the above. I airdry on rollers as well and I usually get smooth results. I don't airdry overnight, but I try to make sure that I have a few hours to airdry while doing other stuff around the house. I use the biggest magnetic rollers that I can on my hair. It is usually dry 3-4 hours later. If I have somewhere to go, then I'll sit under the dryer for 30-45 mins or so.

Dee-Licious

I airdry my rollersets a lot. I sometimes sit under the dryer for about the first 15 minutes - sometimes not. My rollersets come out the same regardless of if airdry or sit under the dryer until it's fully dry.

I'm the queen of sleeping in magnetic rollers. I put a large bonnet over the rollers and hit the bed. :D

albane

I could certainly not sleep in magnetic rollers .....nor in any rollers anyway
I have developped airdrying as an alternative when I am fed up with the hood. In order to airdry in a reasonable time, I use extralarge magnetic rollers (the PhatBoys)
The drying time remains however very long (5 to 6 hours) and your head is so large with those rollers (see the Fotki pics) that I am not sure if I can recommend it as a practical option

Evolving78

I don't sleep with rollers on. I just sleep pretty until wash time. I have gotten used to sleeping on my arms and face. You know how some of us are just not going to mess that style up by any means necessary. LOL! Oh yeah, I had let my hair airdry and it came out nicely. But you have to let it fully dry or it will look like a fuzzy, puffy mess. I also just used a lot of water and some leave-in, Redkin Heat Glide, and coconut oil. My curls came out really soft. I have to get me a spray bottle though because throwing water on your hair can get messy and slippery in the bathroom. HAHA!

Last edited:

Champagne

I am used to sleeping in rollers as i have been doing this a pretty long time and I have been airdry roller setting for about two months now.. the trick as some of the other ladies mentioned is to roll the hair while it is very wet ( i use Salerm 21 as a leave in) and make sure to roll it straight. In the morning i sometimes do a quick wrap before brushing out and styling!

Lady Esquire

You're so sweet Shunta! The forum was down for maintenance so I had to wait.:lol:

Yes, I've been airdrying in rollersets since I started on this journey. I use a combination of the ponytail rollersetting method (I make several ponytails using hair safe Scunci Hair Hosiery bands) and Macherieamour's rollersetting tips. I airdry overnight while sleeping and position a couple of rollers so I can sleep comfortably.

My hair becomes smooth and "straight" as if I blowdried it. Then I style it in updos, buns, or braid it for braidouts. More recently, I've begun to actually wear my bouncy, shiny rollersets, pincurling it at night to maintain the style. I get many compliments too. I don't know why I haven't done this sooner! :rolleyes:

yep. me too. i usually airdry rollersets from weeks 1-6. Then I start to do some heat under the dryer sorta half heat and half airdry. Then the further I am into my stretch, I have to use heat cause the roots and new growth are so bushy.

bklynLadee

I am assuming that this will be thrive best with permed hair? My hair is half natural soooo I guess this wouldnt work without the heat? :wallbash:

Neroli

I am assuming that this will be thrive best with permed hair? My hair is half natural soooo I guess this wouldnt work without the heat? :wallbash:

IMHO, you don't need heat if rollerset is correct. I am 80-85% tex lax and I can get my hair bone straight if I rollerset while dripping wet -- I have to wait at least 9 hours to air dry completely, but once its totally dry, regardless if air dry or heat dry, hair comes out straight. The key is NOT to remove rollers until hair is COMPLETELY dry, no matter the drying method . . . :yep:

dillard

I've been airdrying rollersets since i started getting rollersets. i just can't stand even the thought of being under a dryer :nono:

it comes out better than when i heat dry, feels more moisturized and less crispy. i usually add either lacio lacio or silk touch and seal with castor oil. by morning (6-8 hrs) it's dry, not puffy or frizzy. i usually don't have it dripping wet though, just wet enough for the ends to smooth onto the rollers. then i usually do an updo with it curly in the morning. then the next night, i'll wrap it and it comes out straight.