Anyone else hibernating for the winter? Post your reggies here!

I want to try more protective styles like twist and braids and will possibly start weaving from January, that will probably just tempt me into transitioning though. If only I found you guys in March I may still have APL natural hair :ohwell:. I will be omitting the co-washing till spring and prepoo everyweek instead of bi-weekly

Braids and MTG...that's pretty much it in a nutshell. My goal is to hid my hair as much as possible until it gets warm again.

I've started hibernating already. I'm currently 7 weeks post relaxer and I plan to stretch until the end of December or top of January.

My choice of style is bunning. I've always wanted to give bunning for retention a chance after seeing several ladies reach great lengths by doing it. And by hiding it for so long I know I'll see a difference when I relax in January.

Here's my fall/winter 09 regime:

Wash & DC every 3 weeks/air dry
Moisturize, seal, and change position of bun everyday or every other day.
Oil scalp with BT every other day

I am allowing myself a pass to wear my hair out (and use heat) for special occasions, but I'm even gonna try to fight the urge to do that. I could probably spruce up a bun to acheive the look I want when socializing.

im in the DMV and i think we are going to have a rough winter. im getting braids put in with added hair. i think i will do senegalese for two months and then kinky twists for the next two months. i normally dont deal with fake hair but i want to protect my natural hair and i think braids and twists are the best way. infact i was thinking of getting them put in this weekend but im not sure.

Sheba1,

I'm here in Arizona so we dont get very cold at all.

2x times a week Condition wash/deep Condition With Wen Fig Cleansing Conditioner
and another Cheap conditioner Like Dove,Ors Replenshing conditioner,Aussie Moist

no heat unless under a heat cap

Moisturizers i use in Rotation

Qhemet root burdock butter
Qhemet Honey/Olive Balm
S-curl
Proline Softner Moisturizer
Hairveda Whipped Ends Cream

Oils jojoba,castor oil,coconut oil

Wow your hair is really gorgeous. I know exactly how you feel. I had to chop a couple inches 4 months ago to cut out the knots. I've since gained it back and then some, so I know yours will be well beyond the length it is now by the time you reveal your hair again in June. Good luck.

thanks! with the cut i'll go from apl to a little below shoulder i'm guessing. i'm not a length whore like i used to be. i'm reformed. :lachen: but i just want healthy hair.

but i also plan to do my own sulfur hair oil mix an apply that 3-4 times a week as well so hopefully that will also up my growth.

once i'm done hiding my hair, i am going to dye if from this auburn color to this blonde mix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWcaDWL_oXc&feature=player_embedded

I am going to slap some braids in my hair this week.
I am waiting to for my DH to got out of town, so when he returns I will be look all hot with my fake long hair LOL

I'm just keepin' it braided till spring, for the most part.washing/co-washing 1-2 a week, and keeping it moisturized (C&G-ing, I guess).

I love Talia's hair and progress...she's really an inspiration. If I could afford it, I'd go to her weaveologist.

Well there's no real winter out here in Los Angeles, but my hair will still be in hibernation. I'm planning to weave it up for a while (maybe until graduation in 2011 but we'll see). I want to keep it in until my hair is as long as the weave (14in).

My regimen:
-Braid and sew in the weave myself once a month, leaving a bit out.
-Moisturize with Oyin's Juices & Berries and Jane Carter Nourish & Shine as needed.
-Wash every 2 weeks with my normal wash routine, but I'll just dilute the shampoo and conditioner, and be sure to rinse well. I'm thinking of adding amla to my routine but I don't know about that yet.

what kinda hair will u be using? i need something close to our texture if im gonna try weaving it up myself. Its kinda hard to find soft natural weaves with 4 b type texture....most of the ones I see are spirally 4a coils

I have been thinking about this, and I am definately hibernating. I have definately had enough of the wash and gos, April - sept is just enough.
I wish I can do weave, but my hair stylist has relocated back to the UK. I think I am investing in a lacefront and may be do braids once.
plan to hibernate from october to march or even june if I can (6-9 months). I just need to do measurements and decided if I want italian yaki or kinky straight, decision decision.

My regimen will be co-washing 2-3 times a week and deep conditioning once or twice a month or there about. Will also be incorperating JBCO this winter.

I am already geared up for hair hibernation this winter with sew in weaves and maybe braids with added hair. I plan to alternate between those two styles until March ( 6 months). I plan to leave the styles in for 4 to 8 weeks, washing every 2 weeks but moisturizing a couple times a week.

Thanx...wonderful, is she a member here?

I've seen her around these parts but not in a while. Leave her a message on her fotki :yep: She'll get back to you, I'm sure

I have been thinking about this, and I am definately hibernating. I have definately had enough of the wash and gos, April - sept is just enough.
I wish I can do weave, but my hair stylist has relocated back to the UK. I think I am investing in a lacefront and may be do braids once.
plan to hibernate from october to march or even june if I can (6-9 months). I just need to do measurements and decided if I want italian yaki or kinky straight, decision decision.

My regimen will be co-washing 2-3 times a week and deep conditioning once or twice a month or there about. Will also be incorperating JBCO this winter.

Ooh italian yaki sounds interesting. Where will you be buying your lacefront?

what kinda hair will u be using? i need something close to our texture if im gonna try weaving it up myself. Its kinda hard to find soft natural weaves with 4 b type texture....most of the ones I see are spirally 4a coils

Well what I really want is some EP Relaxed Texture since it seems like it would match well and it will last for years. But, I really can't afford that.

So now I'm thinking about getting the cuticle remy kinky straight from hairesthetic.com. There's a poster on bhm who got it and it looks great on her. I'm planning to just do braidouts and bantu knot outs on the hair and it seems like it would work. It's also not super expensive, and 4oz seems like it will be more than enough for me. Hopefully, it'll work out great and be reusable.

http://www.hairesthetic.com/hair_extensions/wefted/remycuticle/kinkystraight.html

Here's the link to the bhm member's fotki:
http://public.fotki.com/babiiVia/kinky-straight-install/

I've seen her around these parts but not in a while. Leave her a message on her fotki :yep: She'll get back to you, I'm sure

Ooh italian yaki sounds interesting. Where will you be buying your lacefront?

Hi Sheba,

I am buying from holly at www.wigsandclosures.com, after much researched from here and BHM. You will need to email here for the sizes she has in stock, or she can make one for you. I think takes additional 2-3wks or so if she is making it for you.
She has different hair textures ranging from 1- 4a.
She sells both 100% Remy and synthetic, the synthetic range is limited though.
I am leaning towards the italian yaki, need to make up my mind.

Well what I really want is some EP Relaxed Texture since it seems like it would match well and it will last for years. But, I really can't afford that.

So now I'm thinking about getting the cuticle remy kinky straight from hairesthetic.com. There's a poster on bhm who got it and it looks great on her. I'm planning to just do braidouts and bantu knot outs on the hair and it seems like it would work. It's also not super expensive, and 4oz seems like it will be more than enough for me. Hopefully, it'll work out great and be reusable.

http://www.hairesthetic.com/hair_extensions/wefted/remycuticle/kinkystraight.html

Here's the link to the bhm member's fotki:
http://public.fotki.com/babiiVia/kinky-straight-install/

Her install is nice...thanks...now i have another option besides bohyme braz. still gotta do some research (its gonna be a weave or kinky twists) decisions decisions...when are u installing urs? I wanna see a pic when ur done:grin:

Last edited:
Just got a sewn in abt a 2 weeks ago.I'm try to go back and forth w/ sewn ins til march or so. Regie is wash 1x wk w/ diluted giovanni poos I'm trying to use up. DC w/ either aveda dr or alter ego garlic. Mist daily w/ spray mix, oil scalp w/ bhirinraj oil. Moisturize and seal left out hair.

Sheba..what's a sea breeze treatment? How does one do it?

Ive already started!!:yep: Even though it probably wont get too cold here in GA till Late October/November. I just finished another set of Mini-Braids! woo hoo! Ill probably be keeping these bad boys in until Spring! Ill re-do them every 2-4 mths (depending on how fast they grow out.) Ive officially decided to not use Synthetic hair anymore ( ALMOST had a set back! Wayyyyy too drying to my hair:nono:), so if I do put in extensions, it will be with human hair.

Planned Winter Regime 09'

Cowash every 2-3 days, then seal (morning) (depending on workout schedule)- Moisturize and seal on non-cowash days.

Wash 1x/ 2wks (nighttime)
DC 2x/ wk (overnight)
Baggy w/ my butter mix (overnight)

BABY THOSE ENDS!!

Not much different than my spring/summer regime except Ill try not to Co-wash as much, and Ill be giving my ends some EXTRA lovin!

ETA: I dont know why Im writing down a regime like Im gonna actually stick to it:lachen::lachen:!!
I think Id be better off as saying that Ill just be.......
1-MOISTURIZING LIKE CRAZY
2-BAGGYING LIKE CRAZY
3-KEEPING MY HAIR COVERED (as much as possible)
4- LEAVING IT IN PS (i.e.braids etc)
5- BABYING MY ENDS!

I live in Dallas, TX so it really doesn't get cold (to me anyways). So no hibernation for me. Going to stick to my current routine which is:

Co-wash: 1-2 times a week
Deep Condish: Once a week
Cassia/Henna Treatments: Every 3 weeks
Moisturize: Twice a week at night

I am going to start trying to wear my hair in a bun twice a week. Not part of my current routine. But, I'm going to try!

Her install is nice...thanks...now i have another option besides bohyme braz. still gotta do some research (its gonna be a weave or kinky twists) decisions decisions...when are u installing urs? I wanna see a pic when ur done:grin:

I was thinking of getting the bobraz but the texture doesn't really match my hair. With the kinky straight my leave out hair will match without manipulation.

I haven't bought the hair yet but hopefully I'll get it in the next couple weeks. I'll definitely post pics.

I've started as well! LOL, I can't do weaves anymore. I've come to the conclusion that they slice through my hair so weaves are out. I'm wigging it out for a while because I need access to my scalp. It itches like crazy in weaves! So I cornrowed my whole head so that it could make a single french braids. And I just plan on washing it like this once a week. Sometimes with poo or baking soda or just conditoner. I seal with the usual oils but I mositurize with random things. I'll probably try to add a leave in to a water spritz so that I can get in between the braids.

Just got a sewn in abt a 2 weeks ago.I'm try to go back and forth w/ sewn ins til march or so. Regie is wash 1x wk w/ diluted giovanni poos I'm trying to use up. DC w/ either aveda dr or alter ego garlic. Mist daily w/ spray mix, oil scalp w/ bhirinraj oil. Moisturize and seal left out hair.

Sheba..what's a sea breeze treatment? How does one do it?

I can not find much info on the details but every other week, after cleansing, the braids are saturated with sea breeze to "kill bacteria and break down debris, decreasing the chance of matting". Rinse well and follow with DC, etc. Unfortunately I can not seem to find out if it's full strength or diluted so I'm working out the details for myself. The salons that I've read do this leave the sea breeze in for 20 minutes.

I got the idea from the tale of a lady's growth to bsl with sew ins. The link is here if you want to read it: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=198193

I was thinking of getting the bobraz but the texture doesn't really match my hair. With the kinky straight my leave out hair will match without manipulation.

I haven't bought the hair yet but hopefully I'll get it in the next couple weeks. I'll definitely post pics.

so if u left out a little hair in the front and sides and maybe did a braid/twist out it wouldnt match?

Back