Anyone else not care about cones, mineral oil, petroleum, etc?

I don't really think about it. But I don't think any of my products contain mineral oil...maybe cones though. I haven't thought enough about it or paid enough attention to know if my hair likes these ingredients are not.
I have no real staples so I'm not boycotting anything until I find out what works best for me.

I read every bottle. I learned that here at LHCF. I never bothered to find out what certain ingredients did to my hair becoming here. Now I know cones are fake-me-outs. Day one my hair will be silky and gorgeous and day two it will be dry as a dog bone and breaking off little bits everywhere. So yeah I read and try to stay away from what I've learned does my hair in.

I try not to put those things on my scalp, but for the ends I don't mind using petroleum and mineral oil. I love Liv hair creme and it has petroleum and mineral oil but it is great for the ends.

lauren450 said:
I'm with you, Kini. I never bother to check when it comes to my products. I check before I buy stuff for my daughter, but even then, I'm just looking for something that sticks out as being harmful.

I just use what works.
same here ;)

I think Im getting annoyed w/ checking all the ingredients and contemplating what it may or may not do for my hair..... Its frustrating and like you said, making it not 'fun' nemore. So Im just trying to use what works for MY hair. Maybe at some point Ill look out for cones and what not but Im not really at the point right now.

I'm just sticking to not using things with mineral oil and sls. Those are my biggest concerns right now.

AlexB7 said:
I don't really think about it. But I don't think any of my products contain mineral oil...maybe cones though. I haven't thought enough about it or paid enough attention to know if my hair likes these ingredients are not.
I have no real staples so I'm not boycotting anything until I find out what works best for me.

Exactly the same with me....

This is a really interesting topic. I usually don't like petroletum and mineral oil in my hair products because they just feel strange and make my hair crunchy. HOWEVER, I love many of the dominican conditioners and those contain mineral oil and petroleum so I guess it ultimately depends on the product.

I used to check more...but this past week I've been plastering my hair with a serum that's pure Cone....my hair looks cute tho.

I will still use these products, but now I know how to use them. For instance, now that I know greased up hair does not equal moisturized hair, my hair feels so much better. Before this board, I would place petroleum right on my scalp without a second thought. Now, I understand that everything has it place. I agree with an earlier poster that I would still use it to seal(petroleum) in a pinch as long as my hair was properly moisturized first.

I do tend to frown upon products listed as moisturizing where the first ingredients is petrolatum only because I know that it's not moisturizing-it's sealing the moisture out. Whew, you learn something every day but you have to be able to draw a correlation between your knowledge and know how to apply it and know what works for your situation. Thanks LHCF!! ...steps off witness stand

But I did put the Nexxus back just yesterday because it had mineral oil and petrolatum in. The Suave that I chose did not but is said to be just as moisturizing-my dd's hair agrees wholeheartedly-that little cheap stuff works.:love:

Last edited:
KiniKakes said:
Or is it just me? :ohwell:

When I buy a product, I dont look at the ingredients......... I am kind of embarassed to say that i buy it based on smell and also slip/consistency. I mean, i have my core set of fav. products that i stick with..... but i honestly dont know whats in them. :confused: If the recipe changes, as folks have pointed out on this board (ie, Suave Milk & Honey, Nacidit Aceit de Olive) I never even notice..........

On the one hand, i feel kinda clueless and naive.... like Im not in touch with my hair. But on the other hand, my hair seems to be fine, so should i really care? Its growing.... the healthiest its ever been..... i have no real complaints.

I felt so guilty one time that I bought some clarifying poo just because i figured i was "supposed" too. I figured that ive GOT to have build-up, with all the crap i use, plus the fact that i use a no-lye relaxer. But i used it.......... and saw no significant difference. *shrug*

Am I the only one who can use all of these "bad" products, but whose hair still thrives? Am I the only one who just doesnt care to check the ingredients?

Or am i alone in this? :look:

ETA: I use the products (w/cones, mineral oil, whatever) mainly on the strands/length of my hair........ but it often gets on my scalp just out of carelessness. Otherwise, i usually just put MTG directly on the scalp.

I am with you Kini. I wanted to go back to Motions products because I liked them and how they worked for me in the past but read how they were products from hell. I am blessed because my hair basically thrives if I pay some attention to it and love it. My hair grew when I was younger doing nothing but greasing my scalp every other day. To be honest I have a hard time not using grease. Sure all these others moisturizers are great but nothing makes my hair feel better then a good ol' greasing of the scalp, especially when it itches.

4N6_Gyrl said:
This may help you about mineral oil:eek:

"No propylene glycol, mineral oil, or sodium laureth sulfate. Make sure your shampoos, conditioners, moisturizers, soaps, lotions, and creams do not contain these deadly poisonous chemicals." (Trudeau 111)

6. Mineral Oil - Petroleum by-product that coats the skin like plastic, clogging the pores. Interferes with skin's ability to eliminate toxins, promoting acne and other disorders. Slows down skin function and cell development, resulting in premature aging. Used in many products (baby oil is 100% mineral oil!) Any mineral oil derivative can be contaminated with cancer causing PAH's (Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons). Manufacturers use petroleum because it is unbelievably cheap. (THELIFETREE)

Previous remarks noted

Last edited:
I just realized that I only check ingredients on more 'natural' or handmade products. I checked the ingredients for my purchases from Qhemet, Hairveda, Hair2Heaven, and Blended Beauty, for example. But in WalMart or Walgreens, shoot, I just smell it, check the consistency, and try to remember what I read on the board about it. So far, so good. ;)

The only thing I am for sure never putting in my hair nor my daughter's hair is any form of animal protein.

Back