Anyone flat-iron with NTM Silk Touch?

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I was just curious to know this because the NTM Silk Touch seems as if it gives moisture AND heat protection rather than just a silicone based serum. The NTM Silk Touch has moisturizing ingredients and silicones that would protect the hair. It also seems that if you need to touch-up with the flat-iron during the week, then using this moisture/protection product would be great to use. The colored parts of my hair are very dry and can become brittle if not properly moisturized. If I were to flat-iron my hair, I would like to use something that can offer moisture and protection at the same time....without weighing down my hair. Has anyone ever tried flat-ironing with Silk Touch?

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
As many people here on this board that rave about Silk Touch, and no one cares to respond?

*Frisky*

I will respond but I haven't personally used it to flat iron. It seems like it would be to wet or watery to be used before you flat iron but then again there are heat protectants that you spray on that are wet as well. I say give it try on a small section of hair before you decide to put it all over.

Cayenne0622

I haven't tried it this way either. Girl, I'm on product overload. I'm going to start from scratch on saturday and clarify my hair moisturize and all that jazz and then i'm going to strictly use the NTM as a moisturizer and seal with an oil to see how my hair feels. If you decide to use it with heat, I would say put it on your hair and then wait about 5 or 10 mins before using the flat iron. You don't want to scortch your hair and you don't want to end up with a funky cooked smell either.

Nina_deF

I've used the NTM serum and it turned out very good.
The Silk Touch is too heavy for my hair.

sylver2

TSUprincess04 said:
As many people here on this board that rave about Silk Touch, and no one cares to respond?

well I am just seeing this now:) No I never tried it with the silk touch and I never would. I do use the serum when I flat iron.

Tee

TSU if you try it out let me know what you think. I want to try that IC Heat Pro I have. I didnt think to pull it out last night. I am curious to see how this agree with my hair.

sorry, i was kinda off topic.

LovelyLionessa

I hear what you're saying about moisture. I have a book that covers African American haircare from Essence magazine and they reccomend using a "protective moisture cream" before flat ironing. It makes sense, using a serum only seems to just create a barrier of silicone protection but using a moisturizing cream with silicones might be better. I'm sorry, although I religiously use NTM Silk Touch, I have never used it when flat ironing. But you have got me thinking... :scratchch

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
sorry if I seemed a bit hostile in my earlier post; I was just really curious to know if anyone has used it while flat-ironing since so many of you ladies use it. I'm going to try this the next time I put a curling iron or flat-iron to my hair.

LovelyLionessa

TSUprincess04 said:
sorry if I seemed a bit hostile in my earlier post; I was just really curious to know if anyone has used it while flat-ironing since so many of you ladies use it. I'm going to try this the next time I put a curling iron or flat-iron to my hair.

Don't worry girl, I didn't see it as hostile. The same thing happened to me the other day, I started a thread, my very first if you don't count my "Coming out of lurkdom, hello everyone" thread. Anyway, I got all nervous and worried no one would answer me. It happens. You're cool. :cool:

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Priestess said:
Don't worry girl, I didn't see it as hostile. The same thing happened to me the other day, I started a thread, my very first if you don't count my "Coming out of lurkdom, hello everyone" thread. Anyway, I got all nervous and worried no one would answer me. It happens. You're cool. :cool:

Thanks, Priestess. I know it has to be just me because when nobody answers, I get the feeling that nobody likes me...lol, I know that's a bit extreme, but I can't help it.

MizaniMami

TSUprincess04 said:
Thanks, Priestess. I know it has to be just me because when nobody answers, I get the feeling that nobody likes me...lol, I know that's a bit extreme, but I can't help it.

:lol: Girl, it happens. I never really answer to posts that I never used the products.

Personally, *though I know this is not what you asked* I wouldn't use a cream to flat iron. Maybe as a leave-in and a heat protector in one, but never for the sole purpose of heat protection. I am so technical when it comes to hair, I would be afraid that the extra moisture will "boil" my hair, seeing the high temps. of the flat iron. Don't mind me, it may be just me thinking too deep.

Miosy

I use this serum as a leave in always. It's not heavy in my opinion but I don't add alot about a nickle size in each four section before I flat iron. NTM silk touch is one of my staples :thumbsup:

LovelyLionessa

MizaniMami said:
:lol: Girl, it happens. I never really answer to posts that I never used the products.

Personally, *though I know this is not what you asked* I wouldn't use a cream to flat iron. Maybe as a leave-in and a heat protector in one, but never for the sole purpose of heat protection. I am so technical when it comes to hair, I would be afraid that the extra moisture will "boil" my hair, seeing the high temps. of the flat iron. Don't mind me, it may be just me thinking too deep.

I totally get what your saying about this Mizani Mami. I stopped using my water based Vo5 Miracle Mist spray for this very reason. That "boiling" sound just gives me the creeps. :perplexed

Now, I prefer to use a cocktail of serum and a water based heat protectant gel on damp hair while airdrying, as recomended in the CD that comes with the Maxiglide and I use a silicone based spray as a last minute source of heat protection just prior to flat ironing each section. :yep:

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Thanks everyone for your responses.

I too would worry about my hair "boiling" due to Silk Touch being water based, but when I put it in my hair, it doesn't leave my hair feeling wet. It's actually very light and sorta "absorbs" (the moisture part, not the silicones). That's why I thought that it would be good as a cream for moisture/heat protection. I forgot that NTM also has some type of frizz cream out too......that may work also.

ETA: I wouldn't mind using only a serum, but the colored parts of my hair crave moisture and can become so dry and brittle if it doesn't get any. If I flat iron my hair with a serum, my hair may feel soft for a while, but after a day, it feels so dry. The black/non-colored parts of my hair are fine, but those colored parts are a different story.

Last edited:

LoveBeautyKisses

I used the ntm silK touch while flatironing today and its made my hair shine even better.

At first I used sedu with argan oil heat protectant and my hair was still a little dry. I put a few drops of the ntm silk touch leave in in my hair and that made my hair shine better.... Even my ends were in line...:)

Last edited: