Anyone get dominican blowouts regularly?

Never had one, but I would imagine that it does b/c it requires a lot of heat. I plan on getting one in January, but I will insist on a rollerset first to prevent the use of too much heat.

yea i got a rollerset and a partial blow out. it is sooooooo silky and bouncy. i'm addicted. seriously. and i got it done for 35 bucks (not including a cut and tip) which beats the hell outta 65+ for a wash/blow/flat iron at a regular salon.

I used to get Dominican blowouts on a semi-frequent basis since I was 16 (now early twenties). In 2006, I started getting them like once every 2 weeks and finally stopped in April of 2008.

Did it weaken my hair? He** yeah! I'm surprised I have edges left. Even if I said "No, mami, no. Just the roots," my scalp would be dry and flaky like a mug and itchy as heck. It got to the point where I would feel sharp pings/tingles on my scalp in the middle of the day as if someone just pricked me with a pin. Once I started to feel those plus the increase of trimming due to splits happening more and more, I knew I had to stop.

Oh, and my mom lost a chunk of hair at her crown from going to them once a week. One day I was wrapping her hair and discovered a patch of hair that was 1.5 inches in comparison to her thick SL hair. (My mom still goes though, LOL. She says she can't beat a wash and set for 20 bucks and less than 2.5 hours of her time.)

Anyways, I still go to my Dominican stylist for a touch-up and a roller set, but I refuse to let them touch me with that damn blowdryer.

Once in a while, getting a blow-out is fine, for most 4a/4b hair types, but regular (full) blow-outs are not that great, IMO, for most 4a/4b heads. Ok, I'm done bashing...:look:

EDIT: I see you're a 3B/3C. A girl I went to HS with had natural 3B/3C hair and went to the Dominicans all the time (she was Dominican, too) to straighten (she wore her hair curly maybe once every 3 months). She had the most dried up, chewed up ends ever. So ya, proceed with caution.

Last edited:
I don't know how anyone can stand that regularly. Forget making the hair weak, it's so goshdarn hot. When I see other people getting it done, I cringe and tear up for them because of the smoke.

I had it done twice (just the roots) and I doubt I'll do it again. My sister swears it can be used as a torture tactic.

yes, i go every week
my hair has never been healthier or stronger

i guess it depends on who you go to, and your hair.

I got a domincan blowout twice in my life. OMG is so great, your hair gets super straight and silky. However I wouldn't get it too often. Its extreme heat on the scalp and the hair. I did it before LHCF and felt bad, cause the heat is too hot.

though the heat is SERIOUSLY HOT!!! the results are amazing...I walk in 10 weeks post and walk out with the bouciest hair evah!... I go about once a month... I tell them roots only and pray to GOD that my hair is strong enough to handle the heat one more time

When I first came to NY, I got them done weekly (was still relaxed).

I think it has a lot to do with the condition of your hair and who you go to. I also used to bring in my own product to apply before the blow out, and just had them "shoot the roots" a little, then doobie it up

At the time, it was like $15 on Columbus Avenue, and it eas a God Send....my hair grew super long.

I honestly believe...

That getting a Dominican blowout regularly will damage the hair. My sister goes to the salon every week and for a couple of months she was letting them blowout her hair, at first it was nice...then it just started to look thin and lifeless. I don't go to the salon often, I only start to go when I'm about 7-8 weeks post and I only let them blow the roots.

I honestly believe...

That getting a Dominican blowout regularly will damage the hair. My sister goes to the salon every week and for a couple of months she was letting them blowout her hair, at first it was nice...then it just started to look thin and lifeless. I don't go to the salon often, I only start to go when I'm about 7-8 weeks post and I only let them blow the roots.

i went every week for about 6 weeks once. i was only getting the roots blown though and the reast left curly. the one time i got a full blow out i hated it. my hair is so fine that it looked whispy and when i moisturized it it was immediatly weighed down. i will only do it again MAYBE when my hair gets longer and much thicker.

i do but only the roots.. and i think my hair is healthy... many ppl have told me that my hairs look strong and healthy... i guess its very controversial.. i think the key is getting the same person to do your hair all the time.. they begin to know what you want and its way better than have different hands in your hair every week... i dunno what i would do to my hair with out the dominicans cause before i knew about them.. my hair was a hot mess.. and when i started goign to them my hair grew tremendously... they cut it into a bob because it was damaged and now its almost apl... i mean if u ask me rollerset setting and blow the roots is so much better than blow drying and flat ironing and i think it last longer...

When I was younger I used to get Dominican Blow outs every week and my hair was double processed and a healthy BSL... It was $15.

Now i only get them for special occasions, and they only blow the roots and pin curl it. I still love it but LHCF scared me from them....lol

i do but only the roots.. and i think my hair is healthy... many ppl have told me that my hairs look strong and healthy... i guess its very controversial.. i think the key is getting the same person to do your hair all the time.. they begin to know what you want and its way better than have different hands in your hair every week... i dunno what i would do to my hair with out the dominicans cause before i knew about them.. my hair was a hot mess.. and when i started goign to them my hair grew tremendously... they cut it into a bob because it was damaged and now its almost apl... i mean if u ask me rollerset setting and blow the roots is so much better than blow drying and flat ironing and i think it last longer...

ITA, especially with the bolded. Why is blowdrying your hair then going over it all over again with a flat iron any more damaging that getting it roller set and having the roots blown out. I think they both have the potential to be harmful if done too frequently and/or without proper precautions (deep conditioning, heat protectant). I think I may be able to get away with once a month and maybe special occasions.

i used to get them every 2 months with no huge ill effects. I am doing that again this winter ... getting a blow out every 7-8 weeks. its def not healthy on your hair but it really lasts a long time on mine if i can go without washing.

i got a blow out last week and i am loving it right now :). its more just having the change of pace. also its only 20.00 total for me

I don't kow. Everybody says they are so scorching hot, but the Dominican Salon I went to the heat was regular. It wasn't unbearable.

I go about once a month (if I'm too lazy to do it myself) and I don't have a problem at all. I keep my hair DC'd and moisturized all the time so when its time to go, my hair can withstand it.

However, I only have her blow the roots out lightly and the ends lightly after the rollerset and then she wraps it. My hair gets so bouncy that it doesn't seem real on my head...lol.

My advice: Take it easy and don't let them grab on your edges...they are precious. They don't have to get it super straight....your hair gets pretty straight with the rollersets...have them do it lightly and the ends lightly and then get a wrap...your hair will be beautiful and will thank you!

HTH

I go about once a month (if I'm too lazy to do it myself) and I don't have a problem at all. I keep my hair DC'd and moisturized all the time so when its time to go, my hair can withstand it.

However, I only have her blow the roots out lightly and the ends lightly after the rollerset and then she wraps it. My hair gets so bouncy that it doesn't seem real on my head...lol.

My advice: Take it easy and don't let them grab on your edges...they are precious. They don't have to get it super straight....your hair gets pretty straight with the rollersets...have them do it lightly and the ends lightly and then get a wrap...your hair will be beautiful and will thank you!

HTH

thanks! OMG your hair is GORGEOUS!!!! *****!!!!

I get them done once or twice a month since I moved to DC- roots only, I let them leave the ends curly after the roller set. My hair is above SL and I have the SHORTEST hair of just about every lady who is there when I go to get my hair done. Most are relaxed with APL or longer or curly/ natural 3c-ish with hair that is SL or longer when curly and BSL when straight- every one's hair appears healthy.

I was going every week, but I've been practicing roller sets at home. I also got a relaxer once (Mizani) and it came out wonderfully. They listen to my requests and I will continue to go faithfully as long as I have the time/ money. My sorority sister has been going to the same salon every 2 weeks for years and her hair is past APL and very healthy.

The heat is no worse than a wash and flat iron; it's actually less direct heat, IMO. My hair doesn't tollerate flat irons well anymore and the rollersets have allowed me to wear straight styles w/o a flat iron.

After I stopped cutting every few weeks, Dominican Salons and products are what got my hair to turn the corner and really start to grow. I'd only get my roots blown out then they'd pincurl or doobie (I usually let her pick-I trust her). My BFF in ATL goes every two wks and her hair has grown out to close to WL. She now stretches her relaxers and gets roots only blown after the rollerset. I don't go as often because I've mastered my technique for the most part and would just rather knock it out myself, especially being 10 mos post!

I used to when I was in high school. My hair didn't really get thinner, but I did get scalped at my crown. The dominican hair dresser noticed a short piece at my crown and advised me to not get my hair blown out so often. I used to do it like every other week.

Back