Anyone have any reviews on Design Essentials No-Lye Relaxer?

ellebelle88

Hey ladies, my stylist used Affirm relaxer for the past 3 years. I loved how my hair turned out. I tried to transition but after a year I have given it up. I'm going to get a relaxer tomorrow but because I have moved, I am going to a new stylist. She says that she prefers to use Design Essentials No-Lye Sensitive Scalp relaxer, but I think she said I have the option of choosing the lye based one.

I am worried about this because one of my stylists told me once when she used a no-lye relaxer on me, my hair kinda reverted. I've been using Lye relaxers for most of my life, is there anything wrong with getting a no-lye relaxer? What would you all recommend?

sunnieb

I love Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp! I just self-relaxed with it two weeks ago! :grin: My results are in my avi, or you can check out my fotki.

Matter of fact, my stylist switched to Affirm no-lye and my hair hated it after the first application. I noticed my hair was thinner, dry, and shed almost immediately. That was my last visit to the stylist and I decided to self-relax.

I think lye is supposed to get you straighter and be less drying, but my coarse hair has always straightened nicely with no lye and I dc 2x a week to combat any dryness.

No-lye can also leave a residue, so you have to be sure to clarify often. I use a clarifying shampoo 2x a month.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

ellebelle88

I love Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp! I just self-relaxed with it two weeks ago! :grin: My results are in my avi, or you can check out my fotki.

Matter of fact, my stylist switched to Affirm no-lye and my hair hated it after the first application. I noticed my hair was thinner, dry, and shed almost immediately. That was my last visit to the stylist and I decided to self-relax.

I think lye is supposed to get you straighter and be less drying, but my coarse hair has always straightened nicely with no lye and I dc 2x a week to combat any dryness.

No-lye can also leave a residue, so you have to be sure to clarify often. I use a clarifying shampoo 2x a month.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Thank you for your review sunnieb!

achangedlife

I've tried it and it was very good. Hair was silky and strong. I usually relax every 8 wks and I had an easier time managing my hair from 1 retouch to the next,. The only reason I switched was cause the beauty supply store I got it from couldn't get it anymore. I switched to their lo lye relaxer and I like my hair texlaxed but now I can barely make it 6 wks before I get frustrated with my hair. I'm considering going back to the no lye when my tub is done. IDK, I've discovered if I leave the lo lye in for 33-35 minutes instead of the recommended 25 I get smoother results but the no lye was better. I like the thickness the lo lye leaves me with but I like the smooth and silky look of the no lye. Hope this helps

Sent from my LS670 using LS670