Anyone make their own conditioner. ..

nlamr2013

Base?
I've been looking into it. I think I'll order some btms buy a cheap immersion blender so that I won't have to mess up my food one
I'm looking up recipes now.
Nothing has ever really worked for my hair consistently so I don't even really know how to start but I refuse to keep wasting money buying products.
While waiting for the wax to come in ill probably test drive different oils I think coconut is good to my hair but not sure about the cold weather that's coming.
Anyone know of a forum for conditioner/lotion makers?

Don't worry I'll post updates :)

myronnie

I do! I haven't had much time to make a lot of stuff but I make a dupe for the Kizuri Cocoa Conditioner I used to like.I use behentrimonium/cetearyl as emulsifiers. I purchased the btms/cetearyl from lotioncrafter.
I like http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/ for tips on making things. She has great information! She is not AA but has some cool ideas.

JudithO

I make mine.... best conditioner ive used my whole life..

I started out from swift crafty monkey too, and have tweaked the recipe over the last 1.5 yrs until i arrived @ perfection..

My ingredients.... Water, Aloe Juice, Avocado oil, BTMS, Cetearyl alcohol, Panthenol, centrimonium chloride, honeyquat, hydrolyzed silk, incroquat cr, optiphen

Last edited:

nlamr2013

I do! I haven't had much time to make a lot of stuff but I make a dupe for the Kizuri Cocoa Conditioner I used to like.I use behentrimonium/cetearyl as emulsifiers. I purchased the btms/cetearyl from lotioncrafter.
I like http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/ for tips on making things. She has great information! She is not AA but has some cool ideas.

That sounds yummy recipe?
Yes I found a vendor selling on eBay I'm sure I'm paying more for the product but I can buy small amounts and no shipping.

nlamr2013

I make mine.... best conditioner ive used my whole life..

I started out from swift crafty monkey too, and have tweaked the recipe over the last 1.5 yrs until i arrived @ perfection..

My ingredients.... Water, Aloe Juice, Avocado oil, BTMS, Cetearyl alcohol, Panthenol, centrimonium chloride, honeyquat, hydrolyzed silk, incroquat cr, optiphen

Have you tried and didn't like less 'harmful' preserves I looked them up and their warning ratings are highish. I think I want to use plantaserve the preservative in qhemlet olive and amla. I actually want to try to recreate this as I've never used it but many people with my similar hair properties have used and love it.

JudithO

Have you tried and didn't like less 'harmful' preserves I looked them up and their warning ratings are highish. I think I want to use plantaserve the preservative in qhemlet olive and amla. I actually want to try to recreate this as I've never used it but many people with my similar hair properties have used and love it.

Not even worth it. Optiphen plus is paraben free... Phenoxyethanol (and) Caprylyl Glycol (and) Sorbic Acid..... @ 0.5 - 1%, it's not enough to worry me, but enough to keep the bad guys away. I like to make mine in batches cos it's a process and I'd rather see it preserved.

myronnie

That sounds yummy recipe?
Yes I found a vendor selling on eBay I'm sure I'm paying more for the product but I can buy small amounts and no shipping.

My ingredients:
Water, cocoa butter, btms, cetearyl alcohol, wheat germ oil, apricot kernel oil, cetyl esters, stearalkonium chloride, cocoa powder, agave nectar, glycerin, germall plus, fragrance oils

nlamr2013

My ingredients:
Water, cocoa butter, btms, cetearyl alcohol, wheat germ oil, apricot kernel oil, cetyl esters, stearalkonium chloride, cocoa powder, agave nectar, glycerin, germall plus, fragrance oils

Thank you! Did you use the stearalkonium chloride because the original had it or because it was an addition you thought would make the conditioner better, because btms is anti static as well right?

nlamr2013

Not even worth it. Optiphen plus is paraben free... Phenoxyethanol (and) Caprylyl Glycol (and) Sorbic Acid..... @ 0.5 - 1%, it's not enough to worry me, but enough to keep the bad guys away. I like to make mine in batches cos it's a process and I'd rather see it preserved.

Oooh so you don't think plantaserve would be effective? Hmm let me see if any others have used it

myronnie

Thank you! Did you use the stearalkonium chloride because the original had it or because it was an addition you thought would make the conditioner better, because btms is anti static as well right?

I used it because the original had it :)

Misseyl

I used this conditioner recently and it left my hair feeling soft and moisturizing, maybe better than any store bought conditioners
1 Cup of cheap conditioner;
1 egg;
2 tablespoon of mayannaise;
1 tablespoon of honey;
Argan, Olive and coconut oils, a teaspoon each;
Blend ingredients together and apply. I sat under my steamer and my natural hair was soft as butter after leaving it in for 25 minutes.

nomadpixi

This was the first recipe I tried
http://lateblossoms.com/2013/11/09/homemade-hydrating-shea-hair-conditioner-recipe/

Then I tried this one
http://www.beingcomfortablyme.com/2014/02/diy-leave-in-conditioner-for-natural.html

But this one worked quite well as a base for a kknt substitute (just use the ingredients listed on the bottle)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV_vNlKkhSk

Here is also a recipe for Flaxseed Curl Cream
http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/what-cookin-super-smooth-flax-curl-cream.html

Hope these help. I'm interested in the curl cream next.

aharri23

I finally got my BTMS and cetyl alcohol to make my conditioner. I am experimenting with trying to make something similar to KCKT so I won't be using any oil in my first batch.

aharri23

^^We will be watching and waiting.

Ok so the first batch came out extremely well (in terms of consistency) it looked like a store bought conditioner but it was really white like a normal conditioner not anywhere close to KCKT. I think my conditioner was also thicker than KCKT. Anyways I used it for step 2 of of MHM and it seemed to moisturize my hair, but it didn't have much slip as im used to. I had to be extra careful when detangling.

Heres what I used

2 tsp. BTMS-25
2 tsp. Cetyl Alcohol
8 oz. Water

I may try boiling marshmallow root and using that for my water instead of plain distilled water cause I think marshmallow root adds slip. Also I didn't use any oil, but I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the slip either.

Last edited:

faithVA

Ok so the first batch came out extremely well (in terms of consistency) it looked like a store bought conditioner but it was really white like a normal conditioner not anywhere close to KCKT. I think my conditioner was also thicker than KCKT. Anyways I used it for step 2 of of MHM and it seemed to moisturize my hair, but it didn't have much slip as im used to. I had to be extra careful when detangling.

Heres what I used

2 tsp. BTMS
2 tsp. Cetyl Alcohol
8 oz. Water

I may try boiling marshmallow root and using that for my water instead of plain distilled water cause I think marshmallow root adds slip. Also I didn't use any oil, but I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the slip either.

I'm really impressed with your persistence. I know you will get the formulas exactly the way you want them.

aharri23

I'm really impressed with your persistence. I know you will get the formulas exactly the way you want them.

Lol thanks! This homemade stuff has cured my PJism. I think I'm done trying to dupe KCKT. I'm just gonna add whatever I think is necessary into my conditioner.

snoop

Lol thanks! This homemade stuff has cured my PJism. I think I'm done trying to dupe KCKT. I'm just gonna add whatever I think is necessary into my conditioner.

The pendulum will swing the other way. Making your own stuff and trying new ingredients is just as addictive.

aharri23

I added some argan oil and olive oil to my condish and still there is not much slip. I may need to increase the BTMS because I have BTMS-25. Anyone know why this could be happening?

nlamr2013

I am still researching! Will definitely be trying some things after the new year.

Good luck aharri23
I top wonder how kckt had that clear idh tint
Also I checked out the gel thread will be back in the morning

aharri23

Ok so I figured out where I went wrong, my first batch of conditioner had no slip because I diluted it too much. When the conditioner cooled as i was making it, it was too thick to go into my bottle so I had to dilute it a bit in order for it to go through the funnel. I diluted it so much that it had no slip.

Today I used the same measurements but I put the conditioner into the bottle while it was still hot and runny (so i didn't have to dilute it in order for it to go into the bottle) and it came out thick and with awesome slip!

snoop

Ok so I figured out where I went wrong, my first batch of conditioner had no slip because I diluted it too much. When the conditioner cooled as i was making it, it was too thick to go into my bottle so I had to dilute it a bit in order for it to go through the funnel. I diluted it so much that it had no slip.

Today I used the same measurements but I put the conditioner into the bottle while it was still hot and runny (so i didn't have to dilute it in order for it to go into the bottle) and it came out thick and with awesome slip!

If you ever find yourself in the situation where you have to transfer your product into a bottle after it cools/thickens, you can always put it into an icing bag (or a ziploc with the tip cut off) and squeeze it into the bottle. That's how I do my transfers.

aharri23

If you ever find yourself in the situation where you have to transfer your product into a bottle after it cools/thickens, you can always put it into an icing bag (or a ziploc with the tip cut off) and squeeze it into the bottle. That's how I do my transfers.

Thanks for the tip! I made another batch of gel today and used your method instead of the funnel. It worked great!