Anyone perfected the twistout or the flat twists? Can you explain your method?

ellebelle88

Ladies,

I recently got my hair done in flat twists (after getting a relaxer). After having the twists in for almost a week (but not quite), I decided to loose them out and wear them as is. The results were good and many people complimented me on my hair. However, I want the results to be better. My curls were really frizzy although that may have to do wit the fact that I kept them in for almost a week.

So for anyone who has perfected the twistout (with or without flat twists), can you please explain your method in detail (what you do, the products you use, whether you do flat twists or just twist your hair like you're braiding it). Please make sure to explain the type of product you use and the results they give. Thx.

crlsweetie912

Flat twists take a lot of practice. It took me about a month worth of trying before I could get them to look neat and flat and smooth. The larger the section, the easier it is to grasp the hair. Take your section of hair you want to twist in your hand. Pinch the front (at hairline) between thumb and forefinger. Begin twisting, keeping your fingers close to the scalp. Twist with a good amount of pressure to make twists smooth. Start going backward, grabbing a little more hair as you twist, till you complete the twist. Secure with a hairpin or two at the base of the twist.

bLackButtaFly

You didn't mention if you were natural or relaxed, so just to let you know I'm natural so things may be alittl emore weighed down. For me the most important thing to gettng a good twistout off of flat twists is #1 to do it on wet hair. I've tried it on myself and my friends with and without wet hair, and if you're trying to get rid of the frizziness, then wet hair that dries in the twists is a must. #2 moisturize. I like to spray leave in and then put in cd's hair milk, and seal with castor oil. When i take them out my hair is super soft and very defined. #3 making sure it's totally dry. I don't like to use heat, so I just sleep in mine overnight, but if you want you can sit under the dryer.
A few more tips...
If you look in my fotki all those styles were done on dry stretched hair. I like a little frizz in my life:look: .
I usually leave mine in for a couple days as a protective style, and then when I take them out it's very defined.
If you wash them they probably won't last usless you wash gently and tie down immediately.
Also if you want some variety try different sizes, you can go from a wavey look to defined ringlets.
Good luck!;)

VeeJai

i've done it on texturized and natural hair. i used diluted setting lotion like lottabody after i moisturized.

guesswho

I'm natural and I gave up on twist until I experimented with scurl, infusium and coconut oil, I put all those ingredients in a spray bottle and spray it with some oyin whipped butter and my hair was wow! I'm thinking is the coconut oil that makes the difference, with you being relax I don't think this might work though, the textures are different but u never know:)

glamazon386

Are you talking about flat twists with one piece or the two strand looking ones? I would think you meant the 2 strand ones. If you use setting lotion and do it on wet hair, it should be fine. But don't take them out until they're totally dry. I used to get this done at the salon when I was relaxed in high school.

ellebelle88

crlsweetie912 thank your for explaining how to do flat-twists. I have yet to master them so I usually let other people do the flat twists for me. blackbuttafly, i have relaxed hair, however you gave me a few pointers that I need to take heed to and that's that I need to moisturize and use some type of leave-in before doing the twists. I like doing my twists on wet hair but I've never tried them on dry hair and not quite sure that I'd want to. bmoreflyygirl, whatever twists will get my hair its curliest is the kind that I'm referring to. Personally I don't know the difference between the two. By the way...I love your name. Thx to all of you for your responses!