Aphogee Nightmare!

DST1913

I used the Aphogee 2 step protein treatment today and my hair became a tangled matted mess. It took me 2 hrs to detangle and I lost so much hair! I'm currently transitioning. Is this not the right protein to use? I've used this for years while relaxed and never had this issue. I'm too scared to ever try it again. Can you guys recommend an alternative protein treatment that I can use every 4 to 6 weeks? Also does anyone have any ideas as to why this may have happened or has this happened to others when using Aphogee??

faithVA

What did you use before and what conditioner did you use after? Did you detangle your hair before doing the protein?

I like the Komaza Protein. I know some like Nexxus Emergencee (sp)

It sounds like you may not have conditioned long enough after you rinsed out the protein or you didn't remove the shed hairs before you applied the protein.

DST1913

Prior to using i washed with shea moisture shampoo same as always and after used its a 10 deep conditioner and some knot today and sat under my heating cap. I noticed when i used it last month that it also tangled but not this bad. I had used the shea moisture Jamaican castor oil hair mask afterwards with some knot today and was able to comb through. I was reading you should really only use Aphogee when your hair is damaged. I don't think my hair is damaged but it's just something I've always used as a protein treatment. I read that if your hair wasn't damaged that it could make it dry and tangled. Maybe that's what happened? I used my usual wide tooth comb and my fingers

DST1913

What did you use before and what conditioner did you use after? Did you detangle your hair before doing the protein?

I like the Komaza Protein. I know some like Nexxus Emergencee (sp)

It sounds like you may not have conditioned long enough after you rinsed out the protein or you didn't remove the shed hairs before you applied the protein.
I was thinking of trying emergencee. Do you knew if it makes your hair hard?

faithVA

Prior to using i washed with shea moisture shampoo same as always and after used its a 10 deep conditioner and some knot today and sat under my heating cap. I noticed when i used it last month that it also tangled but not this bad. I had used the shea moisture Jamaican castor oil hair mask afterwards with some knot today and was able to comb through. I was reading you should really only use Aphogee when your hair is damaged. I don't think my hair is damaged but it's just something I've always used as a protein treatment. I read that if your hair wasn't damaged that it could make it dry and tangled. Maybe that's what happened? I used my usual wide tooth comb and my fingers
I don't think you used a really good moisturizing conditioner. If it tangled before with those products it wasn't good enough to use with a protein conditioner. Another protein conditioner may work better for you.

VictoriousBrownFlower

You may not need such a heavy protein treatment or you need a better moisturizing dc to use afterwards. You may also be doing it too often.

I know I can't use hardcore protein treatments. I use the 2 min recon by aphogee and never have a problem. Ors hair mayo is also really good. I don't need a moisturizing dc after either of these.

PJaye

You may not need such a heavy protein treatment or you need a better moisturizing dc to use afterwards. You may also be doing it too often.

I know I can't use hardcore protein treatments. I use the 2 min recon by aphogee and never have a problem. Ors hair mayo is also really good. I don't need a moisturizing dc after either of these.

This. IME, when hair breaks or tangles after a protein treatment, that's a sign that it didn't need a dose of protein at that time. When hair requires protein, it will feel ridiculously good afterward it has been given a protein treatment and even better once the DC has been rinsed out. It may feel a bit inflexible immediately afterward, but a highly effective DC will be able to easily restore moisture and manageability. If it doesn't, it ain't as great as one may have been led to believe. IMO, the SM JBCO behaves more like a balancing DC than a strictly moisturizing DC. I advise easing up on the protein and using only protein-free DCs afterward. I also suggest that you allow your hair to tell you what it needs instead of applying products according to a schedule.

VictoriousBrownFlower

This. IME, when hair breaks or tangles after a protein treatment, that's a sign that it didn't need a dose of protein at that time. When hair requires protein, it will feel ridiculously good afterward it has been given a protein treatment and even better once the DC has been rinsed out. It may feel a bit inflexible immediately afterward, but a highly effective DC will be able to easily restore moisture and manageability. If it doesn't, it ain't as great as one may have been led to believe. IMO, the SM JBCO behaves more like a balancing DC than a strictly moisturizing DC. I advise easing up on the protein and using only protein-free DCs afterward. I also suggest that you allow your hair to tell you what it needs instead of applying products according to a schedule.

I totally agree with @PJaye . I do not follow a schedule I follow what my hair tells me. If it lacks definition, feels overly soft, or just doesn't behave the way it normally does when I use the same products, and methods I always use I know it's time for protein. Either than that I use moisturizing dc's.

As you mature in the hair care game you'll find you learn almost instinctively what your hair likes and needs. That's when it all goes on autopilot and the journey becomes like second nature.

DST1913

I really think this is the issue. Just in autopilot I use it every 4 to 6 weeks. Im going to try to listen to my hair and also try something lighter as i know this is a hardcore protein treatment

DST1913

Alternatives

ORS Hair mayonnaise
Aveda Damage Remedy deep treatment
Aphogee 2 minute
ORS Replenishing
Egg + oil of your choice
Giovanni Smooth as Silk Xtreme protein

Lighter proteins perhaps to use more often than 6 weeks.

I've used them all and get softening along with strength.
I've used the Giovanni smooth as silk and my hair tangled with that too but not that bad. I will try the ORS

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
SM JBCO Masque has Keratin and Vegetablr protein. Using that after a hard protein is a no-no. You need something way more moisturizing.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I've switched to Colorful Neutral Protein Filler from Aphogee as my protein treatment. But I agree with the posters above that said you may be doing protein treatments too often and your post protein DC may not be moisturizing enough.

ThatJerseyGirl

You have to use the Balancing Moisturizing conditioner once you've rinsed out the two step treatment, which is critical. They work together and the directions on the treatment suggests you use it. The Balancing Moisturizing Conditioner balances the stramds after such protein treatment.

It comes in the hot pink bottle. One should always use the BM after the treatment.

Aggie

Ultra Sheen Duo Tek is pretty good also and your hair doesn't get hard with it. It is liquidy just like the Aphogee but not the same hardening effect and you do use a conditioning cap with it. Plus you get a huge liter size of it for under $10

Evolving78

All of what you used was protein overload. I went to sleep with that 2 step in my hair before, so I know your pain. Get some herbal essences (blue) conditioner, some table salt, and mix a tablespoon of salt into a cup full of conditioner. Let it sit for 10-15 mins. After that, stay away from any products with protein in them for awhile. I did it for 4 months. Also, I would cut as much hair as possible.

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
What's your favorite moisturizing conditioner? Take that and do a 70/30 mix with the aphogee. Your hair will not get hard and you will still get the protein countered with moisture. Rinse with a moisturizing shampoo and you're good to go.