Applying your own relaxer

mblake8

I am going o have to fire my stylest. I have been wearing weave for 6 months. everytime i got it rebraided she would trim the ends. Well, I finally got a perm and a doobie rap and my hair was SHORTER than when i started wearing the weave. She had been CUTTING my hair instead of trimming it. She also used a no -lye relaxer on my hair and pulled the perm all the way to the ends of my hair. needless to say, my ends are very damaged and i think that they are going to need t be cut seriously. So i have decided to start doing my own hair. i would like to know if anyone applies their own relaxer and trims their own hair. please give me some tips!!
Thanks!!!

Amina

I would like to know also. I was trying to take out my perm but now I want it back. I am not ready to transition right now too many meetings and not enough time. Tips and suggestions would really be helpful.

hOnii

yeah, that stylists def. needs to go! maybe you can find another stylist. one who will listen to what you tell them to do and knows what they are doing.

i hate doing my own relaxers because at the back of my head, i cant see, so i'll get relaxer on my scalp and get burned, and i just never get it as straight as they get it at a salon.

Last edited:

AngelicRose07

back from years of hiatus
why did you let her pull the perm to the ends? i would of stopped her

but hopefully an aphogee and lots of deep conditioning can get your hair back on track

and maybe you can do your own weaves yourself from now on! you can always trust yourself!

L

lkg4healthyhair

Check out the top post"A new comers guide to starting out"

SouthernGirl has a step-by-step on how to apply your own.

Sorry to hear what happened.. there is nothing like taking out braids and seeing no growth or even shorter :mad: I would be pissed.

I don't relax my own hair because I had a bad experience and I can't get it really well...but good luck...

IvyMichael

I had the same issue, Mblake, except i'd been wearing a weave for over a year, and I had negative growth when I took it out for the last time! But since LHCF, my hair has grown a bit and is getting healthier with TLC. :) I'm also going to self-relax in a week or two, using Southern Girls' method. Let me know how yours turns out when you do it. Good luck.

IvyMichael

mblake8

Thanks for all the replies!!. I had been with this stylist for over 5 years and she had NEVER done anything like this before. I really dont trust anybody with my hair accept me now. Not even my own mother.lol. I will try southern girls methods next time i need a perm. I am going to where Half wigs from now on instead of sow ins. They are MUCH better.
Thanks Everyone!!!!