Could it be the no-lye relaxer?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I doesn't seem like my daughter's hair is making any progress. The ends are always so dry and split. I just don't know what to do. I have tried everything. I am tired of having to do aggressive trims to get her hair back into shape.

My question is....Could the no-lye relaxer be the culprit?

I don't use no-lye anymore but she has a ton of no-lye ends left. I started her on lye relaxers last September.

Any advice?

My daughter's hair

lonei

I have a no-lye relaxer and I have never had any problems. The first picture looks really nice, what products and techniques did you use to acquire this look? Its a shame that you have to keep cutting as that first picture looks wonderful...

DahomeyAhosi

Very probable. No lye relaxers are easy on the scalp but hard on the hair whereas lye relaxers are hard on the scalp, less hard on the hair. No lye relaxers have always led to dry hair for me. Though I've never suffered from split ends.

What have you done so far to try to alleviate the split ends?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
lonei said:
I have a no-lye relaxer and I have never had any problems. The first picture looks really nice, what products and techniques did you use to acquire this look? Its a shame that you have to keep cutting as that first picture looks wonderful...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! I don't remember what I used on her hair back then. Probably some setting lotion and spritz. This pic was pre-hair boards! lol

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
DahomeyAhosi said:
Very probable. No lye relaxers are easy on the scalp but hard on the hair whereas lye relaxers are hard on the scalp, less hard on the hair. No lye relaxers have always led to dry hair for me. Though I've never suffered from split ends.

[/ QUOTE ]
I keep them constant moisturized with CDHHB hair milk and oil. I just started using the ego boost on her ends this week. Maybe that will help. I have even tried the baggie technique.

I did notice an improvement in her hair when I was daily co washing. That was the healthiest it had ever been.

Armyqt

The lye relaxer seriously dried my hair out too. I'm glad you started using the EGo Boost cause that's what I was gonna recommned. Also you should try adding honey and EVOO to her conditioners. They both seem to infuse moisture into the strands and leave the hair really conditioned. And I also recommend using avocado butter as a pomade when you style her hair. ANd don't forget the protein. Don't worry, she can have healthy no-lye hair. And in time, it will eventually be gone completely.

DahomeyAhosi

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
[ QUOTE ]
DahomeyAhosi said:

[/ QUOTE ]
I keep them constant moisturized with CDHHB hair milk and oil. I just started using the ego boost on her ends this week. Maybe that will help. I have even tried the baggie technique.

I did notice an improvement in her hair when I was daily co washing. That was the healthiest it had ever been.

[/ QUOTE ]

Using a leave in conditioner on the ends (elucence MB), drenching with s-curl, and wearing it up really helped my dry ends while I was using the no-lye (about a year). I never had a split end. Good luck to you and your daughter.

atlien

DSD...it is definitely the no lye...I got a lye relaxer and the whole texture of my hair has changed it is most softer and not dry. The no lye left my hair dry and breaking and it never straightened my hair correctly. My hair was trying so hard to grow but the no lye caused to much breakage. No lye should be used on people with less curly textured hair like 2a,b,c 3a,b,c. Look at some of the members on this forum that reached waistlength they used lye relaxers Allandra, Andrienne, Sherrylove, lye smoothes the hair cuticle or shaft one of those not sure but just some info .. and if you decide to switch use Affirm fiberguard line.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
Yeah, I always had excessively dry hair when I used no lye, but didn't notice it until I started using lye...back in the late 80's. When I first started texturizing, I used no lye. My hair was dry then too. There was a big difference in the dryness of the no lye hair and the lye hair. So much so, that I cut off the no lye hair. Several inches.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Thanks for all the advice. I should have realized this long ago. I may need to stop using extensions in her hair because I keep them in for 2 months and during that time there is no deep conditioning of any kind going on.

I am going to start do the pre shampoo EVOO treatments on her hair once a weeks. This helped me with a dryness issue I had. And I am going back to my beloved S-curl for her hair. Her hair loved this stuff. I stopped using it because I started braiding her hair more.