Are braid extensions too heavy for fine hair?

JudithO

I have extension braids in now (synthetic expression hair)... almost 2 weeks... For those of you that have really fine hair, what is your experience with braid extensions? Are they too heavy for your tresses? I was going to hold this in for 8 weeks... but based on feedback, I may keep it for only 4. I love these braids but love my hair even more :)

nychaelasymone

well, in my personal experience 'feed-in' braids were the devil on my fine hair. Extensions were ok as long as they were at least pencil width, otherwise they proved to much.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
They were for mine. Human hair had better results, but even still, I realize that extension braids are probably too heavy and potentially damaging for my hair.

prettypithy

You know, I used to think I retained best in extension braids. Since going natural, this has changed. I think the braids promote thinning of my edges, and while they don't create breakage in other places, my hair just seems to grow slower with them than without them.

NaturalfienD

I have extension braids in now (synthetic expression hair)... almost 2 weeks... For those of you that have really fine hair, what is your experience with braid extensions? Are they too heavy for your tresses? I was going to hold this in for 8 weeks... but based on feedback, I may keep it for only 4. I love these braids but love my hair even more :)

In my experience, the best thing to do while in braids is to re-do your edges every three to four weeks because as the hair grows out, the braid weighs the hair down more- this is risky because the hair around the hairline is super fragile- even more for us fine hair ladies. I have also found that if the hair is not braided too tight that there are no long term consequences to having braids. I did have one braider who braided my hair so tight that my damn hair fell right out :nono: a long braid on the floor. I went to the derm and he gave me stuff to make the hair grow back ... since that incident I have learned how to braid my own hair with no issue whatsoever. I actually have a set of yarn twists installed right now and plan on using this style for the remaining part of the year for length retention. I usually do a new install of extension braids/twists every two months. :yep:

HTH!!! Good Luck ...

JudithO

Yikes.... so it definitely sounds like a bad idea..... So what do you ladies suggest I do? Take it out after 4 weeks? Dang I should have asked before I braided....

JudithO

You know, I used to think I retained best in extension braids. Since going natural, this has changed. I think the braids promote thinning of my edges, and while they don't create breakage in other places, my hair just seems to grow slower with them than without them.

prettypithy I agree with you... I think the rest of my hair does well, but my edges can't take it.

aicramphoto

My hair is usually fuzzy after 4 weeks anyway, so maybe you will have to either take them out or get the front redone.

As for styles: I do three rows of cornrows, going back and I get the first row redone after two weeks. I may do this three times for a total of six weeks in for the whole style. If I do individuals, I refresh the front myself but I can rarely do more than 4 weeks. I've been going to my braider for about 5 years, so she knows not to braid tight.

yuhlovevybz

Even I didn't like the weight those extensions had on my head. To take pressure off of your hair, wear the braids in a big bun on top of your head. The style can last longer and won't wreak havoc on your hair this way. As long as they aren't too tight you shouldn't have any other problems.

naturalmanenyc

So long as the braids are not too small (micros) or too tight then you should be fine. I kept a synthetic braid style in for a while with no problems at all; however, the braids were pretty large and they did not hang. I intend to get puffy aka fluffy twists put in this month with extensions; however, they will not be tight and they will not be small. I want my twists to be the size of a sharpie marker.

Last edited:

JudithO

Thanks ladies... i bunned on top of my head thru the first week to reduce the weight and the braiding dady didnt braid tight at all.. im really tender headed but slept fine on d first day, smiled without issues, no painkillers etc. Ill keep watching to see how it holds up with my edges.

temfash

I do my own braid extensions, I only add a minimal amount of hair to each braided section. The aim for me is not a full/dense extension look but a style that doesn't tangle, braids without extensions is murder for my hair I end up with extremely tangled matted hair.