Are buns and tangles inevitable?

bb09

When I take my hair down from buns to fingerdetangle, my hair's always tangled. I usually bun and leave the ends out.. hard to explain but it looks best that way. It still tangles when I tuck the ends in though.

So does bunning =tangles? Has anyone gotten around it?

I've been wearing buns lately too since it's so easy. Those ringlets do turn into tangles but as long as I keep them well moisturized and using the baggy method nightly, the tangles unravel easily.

Yup I get tangles from bunning which is odd because it's supposed to do the opposite right?

No tangles from bunning. OP, are you keeping your bun in for days? I take mine down each evening when I arrive home.

I get tangles when I bun somewhat wet hair, because as it dries my ends tangle up. What I did to avoid this is make sure my hair is completely or damp when I bun and I haven't had any tangles since.

I never get tangles when I bun, I keep mine in for only 2-3 days though and I loosen it at night to one time around with the ponytail holder instead of my usual 2-3 times around during the day.

No. If you keep it in a bun long enough, shed hair will be there and not removing them will make your hair a tangled mess.

Yup I get tangles from bunning which is odd because it's supposed to do the opposite right?
abcd09 -yeah exactly. The only time I didn't get tangles was when I put my hair in a twist then bunned it very loosely, but it just looked redics..:lol: I'm not doing that again.

No tangles from bunning. OP, are you keeping your bun in for days? I take mine down each evening when I arrive home.
divachyk -I take mine down daily as well to fingercomb it, but I always have snags /tangles.

I get tangles when I bun somewhat wet hair, because as it dries my ends tangle up. What I did to avoid this is make sure my hair is completely or damp when I bun and I haven't had any tangles since.
An_gell -same! I get that on washday when I put a hairband in my hair to stretch it. I just realised that last week; but how else can I stretch/dry my hair, particularly during stretches.

No. If you keep it in a bun long enough, shed hair will be there and not removing them will make your hair a tangled mess.
chicha -I take mine down daily. Shed hairs are not really the prob. Thinking about it, it's the points where I place my hairband. If I were to spritz my hair before putting the hairband on, it'd definitely tangle more though.

bb09 - are you making sure it's nicely detangled before putting it up? Do you go days without actually combing your hair? I truly don't have tangles unless I go days without combing or pulled my hair up into a bun without detangling beforehand - so the tangles were pre-existing.

bb09, have you tried braiding your hair in sections thats what I do. I wash my hair in 6 sections and then let it air dry like that and it dries in a stretched state and I avoid tangles and knots this way.

for me yes. no matter how much banding,preping,oiling and streching i do my hair does not just tangle but it matts up in the bun. i didnt realize how bad it was until i saw i have a section of hair the middle of my head(where i usually keep my bun and the part that mats the most) that are like 5 inches long while the rest is 12 in+. i am no longer bunning unless my hair is pressed straight or in braids.

My hair doesn't tangle when I bun. As long as my hair is moist/coated in oil, I can wrap it no problem. If I bun on dry hair, I have to twist it before bunning or it will tangle.

My hair doesn't tangle when I bun. As long as my hair is moist/coated in oil, I can wrap it no problem. If I bun on dry hair, I have to twist it before bunning or it will tangle.
Interesting, do you mean twist the whole plait, or separate the hair into two bunches and twist those around?

I never wet bun, I only dry bun and it tangles sometimes around the band. My ends NEVER stay blunt even when they are tucked away.

@bb09, have you tried braiding your hair in sections thats what I do. I wash my hair in 6 sections and then let it air dry like that and it dries in a stretched state and I avoid tangles and knots this way.
An_gell -I've tried this, but with 2 or 4 (box) plaits. Since I can't do cornrows, I don't have the uniformity from my roots.. I always end up with a crinkly ponytail, rather than stretched out hair :lol:. I might keep it up though for now, just to avoid tangles.

for me yes. no matter how much banding,preping,oiling and streching i do my hair does not just tangle but it matts up in the bun. i didnt realize how bad it was until i saw i have a section of hair the middle of my head(where i usually keep my bun and the part that mats the most) that are like 5 inches long while the rest is 12 in+. i am no longer bunning unless my hair is pressed straight or in braids.
Napp -oh wow. Okay, mine isn't that bad. I just always feel resistance at certain points when I fingercomb my hair.

regina07 -okay, same! I probably need to moisturise more often.

Thanks for everyone's help and input. I think I found my answer^.

Back