Are hair magazines worth it?

Are hair magazines usefull??

• yes, I read them

Votes: 25 16.7%
  • no, they are useless

Votes: 125 83.3%

• Total voters
The hairstyles are cute. Usually, most of the women always have weaves and they dont say that part!!!!

Enchantmt said:
For most general hair mags you only need to buy them once every 6-12 months. Every other month its just recycled styles and most of the natural styles, tho good for ideas, have added hair. I did just subscribe to naturally you mag. http://www.naturallyyoumagazine.com/

I'm hoping it will be different. I've been eyeing them over a year now, waiting for that 15.00 a year special to come back up, but it hasnt so I gave in and paypaled the 20 bucks. Its only 4 issues a year but I have consistently seen the features and wish I had had the issue, so hopefully I wont be disappointed.

There is this site also related to the mag:
http://naturallyyoumagazine.blogspot.com/

They have a yahoo group I am a member of but I rarely check it out. When I first joined it wasnt very active, I dont know if that has changed or not.

I ordered this magazine last year through amazon. They've only sent me one magazine but i didn't particulary care for the mag so I asked that they refund some of my money and cancel my subscription. I hope that you like it, though.

i LOVE hair magazines! :D they have wonderful hairstyles in them, and you get to see how your celebrity inspirations care for their hair. i also learned about a healthy hair food plan, and i've been on that food plan for about 1 year now! because of that diet/plan my hair has never been healthier and longer in my life! also hair magazines taught me how to go natural and stay healthy. i used to rock an afro for about 3 1/2 years and hair mags are what got me thru!

A total waste of money --- even the natural ones!!! Every style is some type of weave --- what type of message does that send across about our hair?!?

I think they are totally useless. I do like to look at the wild styles, just to pass the time. All of the styles are weaves and they 'forget' to mention that when they are telling you how to recreate the style. it's a different process when u do real hair as opposed to styling a weave (which is not your texture). But what i wonder is why they always do these far out styles that only someone can wear to the club. I mean do they think that all we do is get out hair styled to wear to the club, like we are in the club 24/7? What about the styles that are appropriate for work? and for school? show me some creative styles that i can wear to work and you will have a magazine that i will subscribe to, is all i'm sayin....

my only beef is that black hair mags DON'T show enough women with their own hair. they always have people in extensions :ohwell:

I've been buying hair magazine for YEARS! I still do every few months when I get bored with my hair style or colour.

Out of about a dozen of the "Braids & Beauty, Hype Hair, and Sophisticate's Black Hair" magazines I have lying around now, the only GREAT tip I've gotten was for dry scalp &/or dandruff control...

It involved leaving Selsun Blue in your hair for about 10 minutes before washing with your favourite shampoo. It's worked like a charm for me. Once you get the problem under control, you only need to do it about once a month. My hair dresser had always recommended "Top Brass Hair Groom" for me, which did nothing.

I still read SBH whenever a new issue comes out. I like the celebrity interviews and some of the product info. I also like to look at the advertisments and see which one is the most far fetching and unbelieveable.

Totally useless IMO. I just bought 2 to find a style, and they were totally a waste of money. Then I remebered that when I've bought them in the passt I felt the same. I have better luck online and here then I ever have in those mags!!

SG

I used to buy hair magazines YEARS ago. I stopped buying them because i realized it was a waste of money.... I didn't take any tips from them, I just used to like looking at the pictures and taking style ideas from them. I also noticed that some magazines will have the same styles it had in previous issues. Now I just search the internet for pics of hairstyles or I just look through the old hair mags I have now.

I use to buy them a lot especially when Aaliyah would be on the cover..then after I would flip thru pages I would feel empty because the info was useless, the pics of the hair models were mostly weaves or very short cuts or braids. I kept buying them tho and finally just stopped

I dont buy them for hair info. I just like to flip through and look at the pretty models and get makeup ideas.

The only time I read them is in a hair salon. There are some helpful tips, but there are usually a million ads in the book and 15 pages of actual article, tips, etc. I don't see the worth.

shunta said:
I dont buy them for hair info. I just like to flip through and look at the pretty models and get makeup ideas.

that is about all I buy them for also.

when it comes to haircare tips i think they are useless. i like looking in hair magazines for hairstyle ideas, but i haven't purchased one in like two years.

Totally useless. I used to but these all the time and get constantly disappointed. But I would allways hold out hope that the next one would give me the info I was looking for. Those mags aren't really created to help woman with their hair. They are for showcasing hair stylists and celebrities. How in the world can you claim to be a magazine about hair and won't even reveal that this particular celeb got this particular style and color 'cause she's wearing a weave?! And yes, they are outdated, two toned hair with the flip and dip and finger waves was out about 10 years ago but they still show these styles. I get so peeved when I think about all the money I wasted on those magazines.

I like looking at them while standing in line at the grocery store. But I rarely buy them. to me they are good for seeing what the latest styles are but they aren't so focused on healthy hair growth and maintenance IMO.

I think they are useless as well! I used to buy SBH a lot, but other than unbelievable airbrushed pictures of celebs and models with weaves they didn't have much to offer.
I do buy the British Black Hair magazine though. I can still get some hair and makeup tips from there.

Never bought hair mags...only looked at them in the salons/line at the store for cuts or styling ideas back in the day. I only look at who's on the cover now, don't even flip through the pages anymore.

I have never been one to buy these magazines although recently I bought a couple to get ideas for a sew-in weave. I have never had one and wanted to try something new (besides micros and twists). But they havent been that useful for this either. TOTAL waste of money!!

Everytime I wasted my money on one of those things I got home and wished I got the Blue Bell Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream instead!:drool: Now I just get the ice cream!:lachen:

I may be alone on this one but I do like these magazines. Granted the info I get on this site is far superior than what these magazines have to offer, they do sometimes dish good advice. they've changed, I think they are finally catching on about healthy hair care because I notice in SBH that they recommend Braid/twistouts, wet setting and avoiding use of excessive heat. Jolie magazine, which is not a hair magazine has great advice (I think that they frequent this site...JMO) they give awesome advice on vitamins, deep treatments, and product review. They even recommend co-washes, they are good but they are the exception to the rule, HYPE hair is exactly that...a whole lot of hype about fake hair...

londa70 said:
I agree, total waste of money. I usually look through them for ideas but not for hair care tips. They always give the wrong information or lie about how looks are really created. Man, just say its a weave!

Before Hair forums, I used to use them for advice...now I just read them to get ideas on hairstyles and maybe certain products...that's it. Maybe of our industrious members can think about starting a magazine specifically for those of use who are transitioning, cutting down on heat, ...a magazine that deals with issues discussed on forums....ya know..a section on using eggs, EVOO, etc...LOL

I guess I'm opposite. I love hair magazines. I collect them. I use them for style ideas and for new techniques. Since I do weaves, I've started looking at Hype Hair for new techniques and now they have how-to on how to apply make-up. I really like that b/c I don't know the first thing about applying, blending, etc make-up. But I love them and my clients (friends) look through the magazines to find their styles and I use the magazine photo as a guide.

Back