Are there any naturals here that are not retaining their hair growth?

AvaSpeaks

I asked that because I am seeing some great posts here about how people are retaining their growth after 3 or 4 months. But I would like to know if there any naturals here who are not retaining their growth.

In other words, are their any here that are still stuck at the same length.

I mean I pretty much did completely nothing to my hair, barely any care, and it grew out to it's 6 inches easy. But then that's when things get hazy. Some places I can get maybe 8 inches tops. But I'm wondering do I have to start actually "caring" for my hair to get beyond the dreaded 6" mark?

Is that my "terminal length"? Then to get it longer, I have to start doing the "Hair Care" routine? Will this help me or make me retain my length?

Naturals, I wanna here from you! Who's having these problems?

anon123

I'm just starting to retain some more length. I cut my hair down quite a bit back in Sept. 06. That was before the hair boards. And it grew back a lot between that time and the next summer, when I found the hair boards. From that point on, I hardly retained any length at all.

Also, at some point, maybe care has to become different. I've spent most of my life natural. And my hair would grow to a certain point. I have no idea what this point is, since I never cared, never measured it, and never even pulled on it looking in the mirror to see how long it was. Based on how my hair looks and feels now, my guess is somewhere between apl and bsl cuz it was noticeably longer in the past. And it just didn't ever get any longer than that. So obviously whatever I was doing was good enough to grow it that long, but not good enough to grow it longer. I don't know.

Pookie25

I asked that because I am seeing some great posts here about how people are retaining their growth after 3 or 4 months. But I would like to know if there any naturals here who are not retaining their growth.

In other words, are their any here that are still stuck at the same length.

I mean I pretty much did completely nothing to my hair, barely any care, and it grew out to it's 6 inches easy. But then that's when things get hazy. Some places I can get maybe 8 inches tops. But I'm wondering do I have to start actually "caring" for my hair to get beyond the dreaded 6" mark?

Is that my "terminal length"? Then to get it longer, I have to start doing the "Hair Care" routine? Will this help me or make me retain my length?

Naturals, I wanna here from you! Who's having these problems?

Unfortunately, I am not. But because of my neglect. I wear my hair in twist and my ends are getting damage. I'v started cutting them off. I went to a hair dresser recently and she told me it was what i was using to twist my hair . I use regular clear styling gel and I add african royale oil to it. She told me to use jam instead. I took her advice but my twist don't last longer then the styling gel. But i am taking her advice because I need my hair healthy again.

Duchesse

This happens to me as well. Right now my hair measures 6-8 inches. In the past whenever i got to this length as a natural, it seemed like my hair would just stop growing, or my ends would feel really crisp and i would always wind up cutting them..thus never surpassing this point:wallbash: When I was relaxed it seemed like it was easier for me to retain length, but i'm really trying to stay natural..I dunno.

Bublin

I don't seem to be retaining length anymore.

My hair is breaking.

Because of my curl texture, when i comb it it breaks. It now also seems very dry and i'm now wondering what my next hair move is going to be.

I've also damaged it it places where i have had it pressed.

Relaxing seems to be very attractive right now - but i'm holding off.

nappity

This doesn't directly answer the question but what about all of those sisters with MBL and Waist length locks when i go to my hair guru in New York- theses sisters are rocking locs that are GOJUS. I think that as it gets longer to retain growth- less manipulation is more. Also most of the locked sisters I know are religious about protecting their ends.

sunshinebeautiful

I was natural for 2 years. At some point my hair stopped retaining length. It was right around that 6 inch mark. I think if I had kept my hair in protective styles it might have retained length, but I couldn't do them myself, and didn't want to spend the money to get it done professionally on the regular (college student). And I think the knots were doing me in, slowly but surely. After awhile I made the decision to go back to relaxed hair and my hair started retaining length again.

sunshinebeautiful

This doesn't directly answer the question but what about all of those sisters with MBL and Waist length locks when i go to my hair guru in New York- theses sisters are rocking locs that are GOJUS. I think that as it gets longer to retain growth- less manipulation is more. Also most of the locked sisters I know are religious about protecting their ends.

This makes sense to me.

MissJ

In one area that I can't keep my hand out of, it's shorter than the others. That's because it has knots, tangles and usually has to be cut. The other areas are good to go.

BrownSkin2

I've been natural 2 years. I'm shoulder length, and I can retain length as long as I don't wear a wash n go. I can retain length very well in protective styles. Low manipulation is key.

Mimi22

I feel the same.
I've been grazing APL for almost 2 months now, with collar bone lenth in the front. and it seems to have been mocking my every haircare effort!
My ends are disgusting, so I have a trim planned for monday. But my worries are, will it continue to graze APL?
My roommate thinks this is my terminal length. i refuse to believe it! If women with previously damaged ear length hair can turn things around via LHCF and have BSL hair, then I'm a firm believer that I can!! and I will....

hopefully:spinning:

rosie

I dyed my hair in June 07 with Henna. My hiar was a little longer than APL then.

Here it is in Feb 08 and I have 5 inch grey roots and my hair is still a little past APL.

SO, yeah I am not retaining length.

I believe that I have been neglectful of the conditioning of my hair.

So I am now going to start doing DC on a weekly basis and make sure that I keep my ends moisturized.

I may go back to mini braids and see what that may gain me by June of 08.

I do not think that this is my terminal length. I have split ends and very dry hair. I don't moisturize my hair on a regular basis. So I think that my losing of length is due to lack of care on my part.

I will give it 6 months and see if I can reach BSL. If not, then I will give myself a good trim. Get rid of my splits and stay at mid APL/BSL.

Last edited: