Naturals who retain length without protective styles

dlove

Good thread op. I was watching kimmytube on youtube and she was talking about the length she got from ps'ing. I tried psing with a bun and looked homely. I like plaiting at night and fluffing. Check out naturalstronghair's youtube video on hairstyle on a budget. I look childish in twists, homely in buns, and cant think of any other ps.

Soliel185

Good thread op. I was watching kimmytube on youtube and she was talking about the length she got from ps'ing. I tried psing with a bun and looked homely. I like plaiting at night and fluffing. Check out naturalstronghair's youtube video on hairstyle on a budget. I look childish in twists, homely in buns, and cant think of any other ps.

There are some styles I would like to try, but my hair is so thick it would have to be done wet and I hate manipulating my wet hair.

The other option is to do a braid or twist out first to stretch my hair and it seems pointless to do one style just to achieve another.

I'm hoping that eventually the length will balance out the density.

EccentricRed

I pretty much wear puffs. I have thick curly hair and it's past SL if I wear it out. In a puff I keep my hair from touching my shirts, so it is sorta a protective style for me.

I co-wash everyday, and my hair is at least damp all day long and I don't have too many knots to speak of. I keep it pretty moisturized. Since my BC my hair has SHOT out like nobodies business (I'm not sure why) I picked up about 2 1/2 inches since I cut my hair in late February.

I probably won't be co-washing everyday in the wintertime just because I am sickly and in Ohio! I have tried twisting my hair. The back of my hair is spirals and it twists wonderfully. The front of my hair does not spiral, it is big s-shaped strands and it does NOT hold a twist for more than 5 seconds. But I'm a puff person

RENIBELL

Hi Nonie and Lucky :wave: Nonie is right. I wear my hair out at least 3 or 4 days a week, often more. This is especially true since the beginning of this year when I decided to try a different regimen. I blow dry at least every other wash and this stretches my hair out so it reduces tangles. I only comb once a week max, right before washing. Sometimes I'll even go 2 weeks. I just retwist in big twists once or twice a week. That's it, really. I do wear my hair up sometimes, too. I am retaining length now. I think in order to see how well it really works, I'll have to go a year to be sure, but so far, so good. :)

your hair always looks so amazing to me, what made you decide to start blowdrying?

anon123

With oil? Or some type of butter?

Neither, with a true moisturizer. Something creamy that has water in it. I oil my hair another 2-3 times a week. I don't like butters.

Thanks Renibell. I blow dry to reduce the natural knotting and tangling of my hair. It's even a better idea than twists, as my ends tend to knot up in twists.

Last edited:

Determined22

I alternated between shrunken WNG fros & braids for most of the first year I've been natural. I've gone from 1.5 inches stretched to 6+inches stretched in 1 year. Now that my hair is longer, I keep it in a stretched state, so its often in protective styles now.

dyh080

I tried so many protective styles( I can do all of them my self) and am lucky if I last 3 days. I like to be free.
Also, check out cynthiarf on you tube. She co-washes all year round every day and has grown a HUGE afro.

Loves Harmony

I tried so many protective styles( I can do all of them my self) and am lucky if I last 3 days. I like to be free.
Also, check out cynthiarf on you tube. She co-washes all year round every day and has grown a HUGE afro.

I like her videos