Are There Any Shampoos With No Als/sls?

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Since me and Cinna did the BIG BC :yay: we've only been using natural hair products. Over the weekend, me and Cinnabuns were looking for shampoo products that don't contain any SLS or ALS. Everything we picked up contained these dangerous ingredients.

So we went to the BSS and found one The Roots products. It contains zero ALS/SLS. :nono: This product is very good but it is costly. :ohwell:

Can any of you ladies recommend shampoo products that we can buy from the BSS that contain no SLS or ALS?

Thank you in advance. :rosebud:

MeccaMedinah

Dr. Bronner's 18 in 1 castile soap
You can also try NurseN98's trick - Black soap dissolved in water till it makes a "shampoo"- she has it in her album

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I have ElastaQP Creme Conditioning Shampoo and it has no SLS, SLES, ALS, nor ALES. ;)

Cinnabuns

Wow :shocked: what great inforamtion, thanks ladies for helping us out! :) It kind of gets frustrating trying to find natural products these days at the stores. I guess I will have to go to a health food store (such as Wholefoods) to purchase my hair products from know on.

Thanks again ladies you all are the greatest. :kiss:

MJ

Creme of Nature shampoo contains parabens (the conditioner had five different one), which are linked to breast cancer. One study examined breast cancer tissues from 20 different women and all the tissue samples contained parabens.

Jewell

Yes, there are shampoos out there sans SLS/ALS, though rare they are out there. Creme of Nature (green label) has no SLS/ALS in it, and its the most gentle shampoo I have ever used.

miracle

I've been using Black Magic Conditioning Shampoo for a while (No ALS/SLS) and I :love: :love: it!!! It feels like I'm washing with a conditioner.....super moisturizing!!

Also, Burt's Bees Shampoo Bars and the Pave's Professional line (I didn't have success with Pave's, but it works great for a few members), do not contain any sulfates.

balisi

A little pricey, but Kiehl's is a good one to try. I will be trying j/a/s/o/n products when I need to replenish my supply.

Victorian

old head
Dolapo said:
what are parabens?
like methylparaben and anything that sounds like that. They're preservatives and they are extremely common in cosmetics. Aubrey organics is paraben-free. Most Jason hair products are paraben free although not all of them. Same with Avalon. A lot of products that are otherwise "natural" have parabens--you have to look at the ingredients.

Victorian

old head
There are actually a good number of shampoos without lauryl and laureth sulfates, but usually you have to get them from health food stores, or the natural food section of your grocery store if it has a health and beauty section. If you don't mind ordering things on-line, visiting websites like The Vitamin Shoppe (if you don't have one in your area, and also if you want a bigger selection), vitacost.com, smartbomb.com, and other vitamin/natural products sites and looking through their hair care sections usually turns up good results :yep:

Victorian

old head
Dolapo said:
what harm do parabens cause? cos i know some of my products have this stuff

As someone mentioned earlier, parabens have been found in breast cancer tissue. I don't know if it they have been proven to CAUSE cancer or not because I haven't really looked into it. I do remember reading that at the time when this all came out, people believed the parabens built up in the tissue from use of deodorants with parabens. I think right now people are of the "better safe than sorry" mind and try to avoid them when possible since we don't really know the whole story...That's all I know about it. I'm sure by now there are plenty of articles around telling more.

Nay

Dolapo said:
what harm do parabens cause? cos i know some of my products have this stuff

* May alter hormone levels, possibly increasing risks for certain types of cancer, impaired fertility, or alteration of the development of a fetus or young child.

*Used as preservatives; inhibit microbial growth and extend shelf life of products. Methyl paraben may degrade releasing methanol, a potentially toxic chemical. While most people don't have an obvious reaction to parabens, it is unclear if they are truly nontoxic or may cause low level skin damage in the long term (particularly methyl paraben).

* F[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]or many years, parabens were considered among those preservatives with low systemic toxicity, primarily causing allergic reactions. However, as we have become aware that some synthetic chemicals mimic the female hormone estrogen, our understanding of the toxic effects of both synthetic and natural substances has changed. Now, John Sumpter from the Department of Biology & Biochemistry, Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex, have found that alkyl hydroxy benzoate preservatives (namely methyl-, ethyl-, propyl-, and butylparaben) are weakly estrogenic. In an estrogen receptor-binding assay, butylparaben was able to compete with the female hormone estradiol for binding to estrogen receptors with an affinity approximately 5 orders of magnitude lower than that of diethylstilbestrol (a highly carcinogenic synthetic estrogen), and between 1 and 2 orders of magnitude less than nonylphenol (an estrogenic synthetic industrial chemical). [/font]
[/font]
[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The European Union has asked the European Cosmetics and Toiletry industry about these new findings and the implication for breast cancer. These preservatives are found in the vast majority of skin an body lotions, even in natural progesterone creams. Generally, for the sterol hormones, taken orally the hormones are 90% first pass metabolized by the liver. Thus, taken orally only 10% reaches the body. In contrast, anything absorbed by the skin is directly absorbed. In other words, anything absorbed through the skin may be as high as 10 times the concentration of an oral dose.[/font]

** For more info, just google the word "paraben," and you will get all kinds of articles and information **