Are you a hair snob?

Are you a hair snob? Do you answer questions about your hair?

• No, I freely give as I have freely received information.

Votes: 215 66.6%
  • Not really, it depends on what they want to know.

Votes: 95 29.4%
  • I wouldnt call it snobbery, but it's no one's business what I do.

Votes: 13 4.0%

• Total voters

Kurlee

I liek to help as much as i can, but i'm learning real quick that people are set in their ways:look:

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
No one's ever asked me about my hair - they've just made comments like "That must be a wig" or "Wow, your hair is so thick!" but if I thought they honestly wanted to change, I'd give them the link to this forum. :yep:

loved

I went to visit my family last month and everyone was surprised at how much my hair had grown and they were surprised that it was not a weave.

My secret dream was to be a cosmetologist so I love talking hair. I got to do my aunt's relaxer when I visited her and I really just enjoyed taking care of her hair and expalining to her why I was doing different things (like the 5 minutes of rinsing, the cold water rinse, the search for ACV, & my refusal to use certain products she had, etc.) how to take care of it and what products to avoid.

If a sister that I know comments on my hair, I am generally pretty open about what I'm doing to take care of it, and whether it's a wig (which I wore for the 1st time last month) or a weave which I wear as a protective.

ClassicBeauty

I tell it all until people start to seem like they've lost interest. I wait until I am asked, but if you ask a question, I wil tell you whatever you ask...in detail.:yep:

candy1214

I dont have enough length to be a snob. I don't understand why anyone would want to be anyway. I'd be helpful to someone who asks, but I'm not giving up the URL to this site. I got too much personal ish up on here :grin:

nappity

I learned so much about how to manage my hair by asking questions and going on boards like this one, I get alot of complements on my hair and I break it down for them. It takes a village to support being nappy:grin:

Barbara

Princess
I'm getting a little off the subject, but I need to share this information.

A friend of mine never wears protective styles, and that's why it took her hair seven years to grow from neck length to arm-pit length. That's six inches in seven years when normally it takes a little over a year to grow six inches. When she was neck length, I asked about her stylist: "Who does your hair . . . it looks very good, etc."

She just looked at me as if I cursed her out! She wouldn't answer, as if she was shocked. Then I said: "I'm not looking for a hair stylist; I'm very happy with mine." She still wouldn't say anything. After about five minutes, she walked away. I wasn't going to go to her stylist.

I said to myself: "My hair is below bra-clasp length, so she's probably thinking, why is she asking me about who does my hair? Her hair is much longer than mine." I said to myself: "She can see that it didn't take my hair long to get to this length. I've made faster progress than her, because when I first met her, her hair was much longer than mine. Years later her stylist cut it, but it's taken seven years just to get to her current length--arm pit."

So that's why I never ask people about their hair regimen, because they may not want to share this information. I no longer tell outsiders about my regimen or LHCF. If they inquire about it, I'll tell them the off-brand products that work "okay" on my hair--not the best ones. Some are looking for a quick magic potion anyway. I've done my research; let them do theirs.

Incidentally, some coworkers are competitive and back stabbing, so if they don't ask, I won't volunteer the information. If they do ask, then again, I won't tell them the best products that work; just the worse ones. I lost two jobs behind them, so why should they practice my regimen and share it with others while I'm gone? That's taking all the credit for themselves.

In addition, I've asked some of my friends about what make up they use, and they refuse to answer the question. My make up looks better than theirs anyway, so I'm not bitter . . . but I feel if that's the way their going to be then that's fine. I just casually asked. It's not as if I'm going to go out and buy their stuff. I've learned over the years that sometimes a good deed will backfire.

Nevertheless, I don't consider myself a hair snob.

Last edited:

motherx2esq

You ask, I tell. lol I don't mind sharing with people what I do. Most people are always asking me what am I doing to my hair and I tell them. If they are being nosey or just want to know it really doesn't bother me.

TLC1020

I don't really consider myself a hair snob, but I do choose what information to give out... Some people you just can't tell sometimes less is best... No matter what you tell them some still believe there's a secret...

atemeus_itali

I give it away freely. I couldn't believe all the great info on LHCF to help me! So I try to share all I've learned. Thanks to Macherie's site, I found LHCF!

Joanna721

They majority of the people that I come in contact with when they ask about my hair and I start to tell them they go into this you need to be doing this and that bull and don't use this and that so I just try to avoid the hair subject all together cause only my sister on the board understand :spinning:

I am wit u %100 homie.....however I do tell my friends what I do and even though they talk about my use of MN and a million other things I do they still ask follow ups and caompliment on it so I know they are listening I just cant wait till I go over and see a bottel of MN and oil sitting in the bathroom...lol:lachen:

lsubabiedee

i'll tell people once. it seems that most women dont really want to have healthy hair. most of the time, people try to tell me how i should try something else and their heads look a hot mess.

Crissi

Girl it depends. Sometimes when people ask you what you do to your hair, they really don't want to know b/c when you try to tell them (about the shampooing, d/conditioning, oil rinses, etc.) they think you're lying and figure your hair just majestically appears like that each morning when you wake up.

A few times when I have tried to tell people in vague terms that the key is keeping my hair moisturized, ends sealed with oil, and no heat, they usually come back with a stupid response like "oh you just got good hair".
:wallbash:"Well if you think I got good hair, WTF did you just ask me what I do to my hair to keep it healthy and had me to go through all of this BS......and BTW, good hair is any hair that grows out of your head!!"

If it's someone that I think is asking for the genuine health of their own hair, I really don't mind going into detail b/c I think they are more likely to listen.

ITA ITA ITA!

Ms. Plain Jane

I'm getting a little off the subject, but I need to share this information.

A friend of mine never wears protective styles, and that's why it took her hair seven years to grow from neck length to arm-pit length. That's six inches in seven years when normally it takes a little over a year to grow six inches. When she was neck length, I asked about her stylist: "Who does your hair . . . it looks very good, etc."

She just looked at me as if I cursed her out! She wouldn't answer, as if she was shocked. Then I said: "I'm not looking for a hair stylist; I'm very happy with mine." She still wouldn't say anything. After about five minutes, she walked away. I wasn't going to go to her stylist.

I said to myself: "My hair is below bra-clasp length, so she's probably thinking, why is she asking me about who does my hair? Her hair is much longer than mine." I said to myself: "She can see that it didn't take my hair long to get to this length. I've made faster progress than her, because when I first met her, her hair was much longer than mine. Years later her stylist cut it, but it's taken seven years just to get to her current length--arm pit."

So that's why I never ask people about their hair regimen, because they may not want to share this information. I no longer tell outsiders about my regimen or LHCF. If they inquire about it, I'll tell them the off-brand products that work "okay" on my hair--not the best ones. Some are looking for a quick magic potion anyway. I've done my research; let them do theirs.

Incidentally, some coworkers are competitive and back stabbing, so if they don't ask, I won't volunteer the information. If they do ask, then again, I won't tell them the best products that work; just the worse ones. I lost two jobs behind them, so why should they practice my regimen and share it with others while I'm gone? That's taking all the credit for themselves.

In addition, I've asked some of my friends about what make up they use, and they refuse to answer the question. My make up looks better than theirs anyway, so I'm not bitter . . . but I feel if that's the way their going to be then that's fine. I just casually asked. It's not as if I'm going to go out and buy their stuff. I've learned over the years that sometimes a good deed will backfire.

Nevertheless, I don't consider myself a hair snob.

Wow. You know some sucky people! LOL

(( Hug ))

Monigirl

I give information freely to anyone who ask.

Only time I act like a snob is when a beautician with jacked up hair tries to hand me her beauty shop business card and ask me questions like: who does your hair? What product line do you use? and etc..... I started saying no thanks. I love and enjoy doing my own hair for over 10 years now. I do my own hair cutting, relaxing, curling and braiding.

Last edited:

tocktick

maybe some people have legitimate reasons as to why they don't want to share their regimen; such as offering up info before and being met with negatively in return. i could understand their reluctance to say what they're doing. sometimes, when you tell people what your regimen you're met with the :rolleyes: look. i think if you haven't received that kind of response but are withholding your info even when someone asks nicely, then you're probably secretive and a little snobby. however, everyone has a right to disclose what they want.

personally, i'm open to share what i know to those who are genuinely interested; this is why my reggie is on my fotki for all to see and when people ask me question i reply as best i can. i have left 3-4 pararaphs of info in people's guestbooks or via pm before and i'm happy to help them.

Fine 4s

I am curious. A few of come here with so-so hair and as the condition improves, people start asking questions. They want pretty hair, too. When someone ask you about your hair, what do you say?

Do you give vague responses like, "Thanks, no I don't anything special"

Do you give responses with great detail like, " I wash every day with conditioner. Yes conditioner. It does clean your hair. Then I oil every night with olive oil. Sure, you can buy it anywhere."

Something in between.

Or is it none of their business?

I go all out everytime...

Caramela

I am not a snob, but I don't reveal all my secrets to everybody... I won't even tell my husband about MN... and I only tell people some things because in my experience, they ask, but they aren't trying to really do what you tell them you do. They want to do what they've always been doing (washing once every 2 weeks, greasing scalp, hot curling irons/blow driers, not wrapping hair up at night, tracks w/glue etc) and expect their hair to grow to WL? I think not. I don't waste my breathe most of the time.

~~HoneyComb~~

I freely give advice to anyone who wants it whether it's my hair or anything else. I just believe in helping others, and I welcome the help of others when needed.

prospurr4

If asked about my haircare, I answer freely. However, some people don't want to take the time and/or do the work that it takes to have healthy hair. So when I see someone's eyes start to glaze over as I'm spilling my routine, I stop talking.

silvergirl

i cant be bothered anymore because in reality all i do IS co-wash my hair and let it airdry and thats it.

but when i say that, the person asking is then like.. "and what else" lol or i dont any comment back at all, or ppl think im lying or something.

its just plain annoying

shadylane21

If asked about my haircare, I answer freely. However, some people don't want to take the time and/or do the work that it takes to have healthy hair. So when I see someone's eyes start to glaze over as I'm spilling my routine, I stop talking.

"CHURCH":yep::yep: