Argument over devotional-Couples??

melodee

Hey, do you mind if I vent?

My husband and I recently started doing nightly devotionals. We both really needed to be in the Word more than we have been lately, and I thought this was a good idea. Well, the forces starte up last night. The dovtional was on prinicipalities of darkness, and we both discussed how we have been working on staying away from evil things. My husband mentioned not listening to a popular talk show. I tried to tie it in with the devotional and said "yes, there are things that sneakiy get people to believe that it's okay to listen or watch (like Hip-Hop that I am weaning myself from). He got mad at me and said I didn't want you to start talking about what's good and bad, you didn't even say that it was good that I don't listen anymore. I knew what he was getting at (we used to argue over his listening to this talk show and he was feeling as if we were arguing again). Well, I said "okay, I appreciate that baby and I have things I'm working on too".

Next we read some more from the bible and he got a tude about how the bible says not to let silly things come from your tongue. He said, well now I can't do anything. He started talking about things that are funny, but have a bad connotation.

You see, my husband was saved as a young adult, but he grew up watching MTV,HBO and various things that are not good for the Christian soul. He used to argue with me about my not tolerating seeing things like that. Well, I know Eddie Murphy in Delerious was funny, but his humor is not going to be on God's acceptable list.

Do you guys do devotionals w/ your SO? Was this spat just evil forces trying to keep up from growing together in the Lord, or was this a bad idea.

It's our anniversary today, and neither of us are in a good mood toward each other. :perplexed

kisz4tj

It's Satan at work, not wanting the two of you to grow together. I guess he can foresee if you two keep this up how powerful you two will be together (spiritually). Happy Anniversary.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I sometimes have devotionals with my boyfriend. This is the only guy I've done this with. It's great. We haven't argued about anything yet, we just discussed certain issues. I think we've even talked about some of the same things that you and your husband have talked about such as watching tv and listening to certain music and foolish talk.

Whatever you do, don't let anything keep you from studying the word of God. If there are times when you can't study with him, study on your own. But when you two do devotionals together and point out a certain issue, try to keep it as a discussion and not an argument. Satan wants us to argue and try to have attitudes with each other about certain things. And when you study, make sure you two do not attack each other personally.

HTH!

RachelL

My husband and I do devotionals a few times a week. We have gotten into some spirited discussions, but we always hold hands and pray together at the conclusion of the devotional. I find that praying together brings us both back to focusing on God and our marriage. Keep doing the devotionals. I think that generally speaking the devotionals have brought my husband and I closer to God and to each other.

melodee

Thanks ladies. Rachel, we did end with a prayer and it wasn't a heated fight, but it left me in a doubting mood. I was thinking that maybe although we both agreed to do this together, it was a bad idea.

Update--thanks to you guys (and of course the Holy Spirit calming me down) I have decided not to give up or give in. We will continue to do this--I think nighly prayers as a unit is the most powerful thing a couple can do. Satan tried to but doubt in my mind, but I'm over it.

redeemed516

SATAN IS A LIAR!! Don't let satan mess up this beautiful day that celebrates your union with your husband. (btw, Happy Aniversary) he (satan) doesn't want us growing together individually, let alone as a couple. Everything that God has set up to bring glory to himself, satan is trying to destroy. You and your husband should just continue with your devotionals.
Me and my husband used to have spats like that in the beginning of our devotionals. There are things in the Word the flesh just doesn't want to hear and it is constantly trying to kick against the pricks, but you and he should just continue in what you are doing. God will bless it.